NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Ummm....just wondering if anyone has seen Kat Alexander and Rachel in the same room? Hmmmm, Kate’s last activity was July 26 and Rachel joined the same day. Hmmmm, Kate’s from DC and Rachel is from Miami though. Just wondering but could the next strange coincidence be that Kat went to a law school in Florida and is a member of the Florida bar? If I wasn’t certain Leon saw the similarities too and spoke with her I might actually start believing my conspiracy theory.
Ummm, have I done something wrong?

I don't know this Kat. I'm not part of any grand conspiracy. I'm just a nobody housewife in Miami that has nothing to do with anything going on here. I just wanted to enjoy the forum, learn a few things, maybe make a friend or two.

Have I done something to earn this disrespect?

Am I not welcome here?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2019, 09:30 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.Rachel View Post

I don't know this Kat. I'm not part of any grand conspiracy. I'm just a nobody housewife in Miami that has nothing to do with anything going on here. I just wanted to enjoy the forum, learn a few things, maybe make a friend or two.

Am I not welcome here?

Some are so caught up fretting over whether their graded cards are real, so now they are wondering whether people are real. We have too many lawyers here and not enough psychiatrists IMHO.

Some percentage of the people here are strange, rude, or just your garden variety odd. Hang around these boards for awhile and you'll learn to navigate through. But don't leave because of some snarky posts.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Yeah Rachel, you're cool. No worries. Hang in there.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:

Am I not welcome here?

Ummm what on earth happened here? Thanks Rachel for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea all of this crap was going on. I haven't been on here much lately as I've been on vacation and traveling. Thanks Leon (NOT!) for letting me know. Would have been nice for you to reach out to me personally since we've talked before. I've been nothing but honest so this is really quite heartbreaking.

For the record, I'm not Rachel (no offense Rachel). I have a life outside of this website and I don't check in on a daily (sometimes weekly) basis. Sorry Rachel for having to go through this - she apparently had to send Leon her drivers license to prove she wasn't me. Yet, not a damn person contacted me about this until Rachel. Leon was happy to wrongfully doubt me though.

I might speak out and offend people at times but I'd never create another account and do what y'all accused me of. Honestly I thought you were better than that. A few apologies should be in order. This is hurtful and beyond messed up.

If anything like this ever happens again please reach out to me Leon instead of slamming and doubting me. I expect more from this forum. How you handled this is majorly disrespectful and disappointing.

Last edited by kateighty; 08-06-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is an internet chat board for baseball card collectors, how heartbreaking can it be if you have done nothing wrong? Have you met anyone on this forum face to face yet (not that it really matters)?

That all said there is no playbook for how to address situations on the forum. Making sure people are who they say they are is a big deal. There were some others who thought the coincidences between you and Rachel were uncanny. I did too. My apologies if you are offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
Ummm what on earth happened here? Thanks Rachael for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea all of this crap was going on. I haven't been on here much lately as I've been on vacation and traveling. Thanks Leon (NOT!) for letting me know. Would have been nice for you to reach out to me personally since we've talked before. I've been nothing but honest so this is really quite heartbreaking.

For the record, I'm not Rachel (no offense Rachel). I have a life outside of this website and I don't check in on a daily (sometimes weekly) basis. Sorry Rachel for having to go through this - she apparently had to send Leon her drivers license to prove she wasn't me. Yet, not a damn person contacted me about this until Rachel. Leon was happy to wrongfully doubt me though.

I might speak out and offend people at times but I'd never create another account and do what y'all accused me of. Honestly I thought you were better than that. A few apologies should be in order. This is hurtful and beyond messed up.

If anything like this ever happens again please reach out to me Leon instead of slamming and doubting me. I expect more from this forum. How you handled this is majorly disrespectful and disappointing.

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:31 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is an internet chat board for baseball card collectors, how heartbreaking can it be if you have done nothing wrong? Have you met anyone on this forum face to face yet (not that it really matters)?

That all said there is no playbook for how to address situations on the forum. Making sure people are who they say they are is a big deal. There were some others who thought the coincidences between you and Rachel were uncanny. I did too. My apologies if you are offended.
It's heartbreaking because I care about this shit Leon. I'm sorry if you don't get it. Just because another woman signs up for this forum and has an opinion that resembles mine doesn't mean we're the same person. You clearly don't do the same for the men here.

Times are changing. I've gotten several emails and messages from dads on here thanking me for my voice and saying that I'm an inspiration for their daughters who are interested in vintage cards. They hope their daughters will one day join this internet chat board as they're more into collecting cards than their sons. Surely they wouldn't want to do so if Leon is only going to require women to jump through hoops (myself included) to verify their identity.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

With regard to checking on identities I am color blind, gender blind and anything else blind. Sorry if you want to make it into something it isn't. Please don't be so dramatic too. It makes it seem like I was correct when you posted my PM to you saying I thought you have thin skin. Once again, don't make this into a gender thing when it hasn't a thing to do with it. Thanks

Quote:
It's heartbreaking because I care about this shit Leon. I'm sorry if you don't get it. Just because another woman signs up for this forum and has an opinion that resembles mine doesn't mean we're the same person. You clearly don't do the same for the men here.

Times are changing. I've gotten several emails and messages from dads on here thanking me for my voice and saying that I'm an inspiration for their daughters who are interested in vintage cards. They hope their daughters will one day join this internet chat board as they're more into collecting cards than their sons. Surely they wouldn't want to do so if Leon is only going to require women to jump through hoops (myself included) to verify their identity.

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
With regard to checking on identities I am color blind, gender blind and anything else blind. Sorry if you want to make it into something it isn't. Please don't be so dramatic too. It makes it seem like I was correct when you posted my PM to you saying I thought you have thin skin. Once again, don't make this into a gender thing when it hasn't a thing to do with it. Thanks
Sure doesn't seem that way. Would love to know how many dudes you've called up in the last three months. You might not thing it's a gender thing but you know what, when you're on the other side it sure as hell comes across that way.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:34 AM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
I'd just like to add a few thoughts:

First, I have no issues with Leon about any of this. At first, I was pretty offended, but in time I realized that people buy and sell here and given all the shadiness in the hobby, it makes sense that people's identities might be questioned. After letting this settle in my mind a bit, I don't think Leon acted with any sort of sexism or anything like that. Leon did what he felt he had to do to and he did it in a respectful way, for the most part.

Having said that, others here were (and still are) far more sexist, among other things. For the few members here that aren't trigger happy psychopaths in their posts, I am grateful.

It seems to me that if anyone wanted to use an alternate identity to be here, choosing a female one would be a bad idea.

Interesting that Kat brought up my use of the word "Natty". That comes from my husband, who is far more educated in the ways of this hobby than I am. I had actually called it the "Nationals" earlier this year and he still makes fun of me for that.

I admit fully that I am undereducated about this stuff. That's in part why I'm here. I also admit that I've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. To those that will undoubtedly ridicule me for this post, I say save it. I already know, and so does everyone else here. Ha ha Rachel is stupid, good laugh. Get over it, I'm not the only one.

I'd like to thank Leon and the other board members (whoever they are) for creating and maintaining a place for people to share a cool hobby. I'd also like to remind all the Grumpy McGrumpersons out there that this is supposed to be fun.

Have a great day everyone.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
I'd just like to add a few thoughts:

First, I have no issues with Leon about any of this. At first, I was pretty offended, but in time I realized that people buy and sell here and given all the shadiness in the hobby, it makes sense that people's identities might be questioned. After letting this settle in my mind a bit, I don't think Leon acted with any sort of sexism or anything like that. Leon did what he felt he had to do to and he did it in a respectful way, for the most part.

Having said that, others here were (and still are) far more sexist, among other things. For the few members here that aren't trigger happy psychopaths in their posts, I am grateful.

It seems to me that if anyone wanted to use an alternate identity to be here, choosing a female one would be a bad idea.

Interesting that Kat brought up my use of the word "Natty". That comes from my husband, who is far more educated in the ways of this hobby than I am. I had actually called it the "Nationals" earlier this year and he still makes fun of me for that.

I admit fully that I am undereducated about this stuff. That's in part why I'm here. I also admit that I've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. To those that will undoubtedly ridicule me for this post, I say save it. I already know, and so does everyone else here. Ha ha Rachel is stupid, good laugh. Get over it, I'm not the only one.

I'd like to thank Leon and the other board members (whoever they are) for creating and maintaining a place for people to share a cool hobby. I'd also like to remind all the Grumpy McGrumpersons out there that this is supposed to be fun.

Have a great day everyone.

I'm sorry to the OPs but something is still up with this. Rachel's message to me made it seem like she was new to this hobby and wanted to learn. Quite different as she has a husband who is "far more educated" in the hobby? And she routinely gives props to Leon. Errrr what? Would love to know who her husband is on here for the record. Y'all might hate on me but no worries. Sure I'm a chick but I have more balls than all of you haters combined. Chomp on that.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:

After 30 years of collecting I’m still dumbfounded that people get so butt hurt over baseball cards or other people’s opinions of them in this hobby. And why would any parent give a crap if their young daughters one day joined a baseball card message board or not? That’s comical at best.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:22 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

On a different baseball collector forum (specializing in game used) I was once called by the site owner who suspected me of having multiple accounts. I was a bit annoyed (because it was a chat room... what would be the point of doing that?) but after asserting my innocence and providing some info, everything was straightened up, he explained why he had wondered, and then he apologized. I consider that guy to be one of the good guys in the hobby.

I had healed emotionally even before my phone call with him ended.

I think everyone should lighten up a bit; we'll all be dead in 100 years anyway.

Last edited by Mark17; 08-06-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-06-2019, 10:47 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
After 30 years of collecting I’m still dumbfounded that people get so butt hurt over baseball cards or other people’s opinions of them in this hobby. And why would any parent give a crap if their young daughters one day joined a baseball card message board or not? That’s comical at best.
Good for you. You started collecting before I was in kindergarten. I've grown up in a time where people could care less about collecting cards, especially ones over 100 years old. It's something that means a lot to me and I take things personally. Sorry if you guys give me crap for that but that's how I am. Say what you will but I'm allowed to have my own feelings, especially when a bunch of old men start talking smack about me and wrongly hypothesizing about my background. Now that's more comical in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Good for you. You started collecting before I was in kindergarten. I've grown up in a time where people could care less about collecting cards, especially ones over 100 years old. It's something that means a lot to me and I take things personally. Sorry if you guys give me crap for that but that's how I am. Say what you will but I'm allowed to have my own feelings, especially when a bunch of old men start talking smack about me and wrongly hypothesizing about my background. Now that's more comical in my opinion.
I enjoy collecting as much as everyone else here, but again; it’s just pictures of dead guys on cardboard. Nothing earth shattering, nothing serious. Lighten up. I mean, would your life be any less meaningful if Leon shut this board down tomorrow?
Old 08-07-2019, 06:26 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
That's great that people cared about collecting cards when you were growing up!
Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
As a parent of two girls, who I try to explain my hobbies to, I'd be really happy if either of them liked cards enough to want their own account here.
They're a bit on the young side yet, but my oldest has shown some interest in small bits, mostly along the lines of
"what's that dad? "
"Oh, and old and pretty special baseball card. What to have a look? "
"Sure! what's special? "

I have to keep the explanations brief, but she seems to get it. And she's shown me the new pokemon cards when she gets a pack... So maybe.
She likes stamps too, maybe a bit more than cards.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As a parent of two girls, who I try to explain my hobbies to, I'd be really happy if either of them liked cards enough to want their own account here.
Great to hear Steve. Well said and I hope to meet your lil ones one of these days at a Philly Show.