NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Default 1963 Fleer pennants from wrapper question

I don't recall these pennants being cataloged or offered for sale or auction. Does anybody have a sample or any info on these? Here is Ebay auction that shows pennant offer on the wrapper. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360471143303...ht_2314wt_1264
Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Al Richter

Default Cookie

....also, anyone have a picture or scan of a 1963 Fleer cookie ( serious request). I have an unopened pack and it seems flat and square. I did open some in 1963 but can't remember what they looked like.

Randy-- I do not think I have any of the pennants, although I do have some Fleer pennant inserts if they possibly packaged left overs in future issues. Have you checked that Fleer Sticker Blog to see if they have any examples. Maybe Dave Hornish knows something. I'll ask him

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Interesting-I just noticed the 11/3/63 ACC Catalog Update assigned both D331 and R418 to the 1963 Fleer baseball cards when researching the pennants. On the more pertinent topic I cannot find an ACC# for the pennants but they look pretty generic in the ad panel. The closely resemble, with the stripe running vertically down the left side, Bazooka pennants of the era but the latter are larger as I recall (can't look it up right now).
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Mike Dugan

Al- I don't have a photo of the Fleer cookie but I can confirm that they were square and resembled a Girl Scout butter cookie in color, texture and taste.

I purchased all of my 1963 Fleer from a vending machine at a laundramat not too far from my grade school. The packs were a nickle in the machine and the cookies were good. Of course back then money was scarce and anything sweet was a great treat.

Never did find an Adcock but a good friend got one and traded it to me for several commons he needed.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Al Richter

Default 1963 Fleer

Good story, Mike. Do you still have your Fleer cards ?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Hi Al & Dave, I gave up on this thread after no replies in 17 days, glad to see it revived. I also find it amazing that a wrapper panel redemption from ANYTHING these days does not have a definitive answer.

I would assume that the pennant, whatever the size, would be without any identifications or markings, or surely they would be known today.

I would like to solve this mystery. Thanks for the new input everybody.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Mike Dugan

Al- Sadly like most of us they were moved years ago but I have been slowly rebuilding the set.

That and the 1962 Topps baseball & football issues were the ones I purchased the most of as a kid. My buying years were 1960-65 ending with the "65 Topps football.

I read a few years ago that in our minds eye a perfect world was what we remembered it to be when we were 10-12 years old. Pretty close for me other than watching my daughter grow up!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Al Richter

Default Fleer 1963 Felt pennant send aways

Randy and Dave---I think these may be examples of the Fleer send aways offered on 1963 Fleer wax pack wrappers;

Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Al, thanks for the post and the PM. What are the dimensions on those pennants? I've noticed that some Fleer wrappers advertise a 2 1/2x'6" pennant, and other wrappers advertise a 12x30" wrapper. I also discovered that my 1961 Fleer wrapper has the identical ad with the Cardinals pictured. Do these have any other markings on them? Randy
Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Al Richter

Default Fleer Pennants

Randy---these are 2 1/2 " x 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 ", with no other markings. I think they may be 63s because of the line on the pennants which seems to match the line on the picture on my 63 pack.

My 61 Baseball Great pack ( blue) has an offer for " 2 Large Baseball Pennants" ( 12" x 30") and does picture a Cardinals pennant . I have 2 1960 Baseball Great packs ( yellow) for " 2 Big League Baseball Insignias"--pictures Cardinal cap and Giants insignia

Given the dimensions of the large pennant, not sure you could tell it from any other pennant if there is not Fleer marking. Insignias might also be hard to specifically identify or distinguish.

Glad you brought this topic up
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Al, I would bet money you are right. Dimensions seem right, and your theory is plausible. Isn't it great to answer a question that originates from 49 years ago! Nice work, and thanks.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I would think Mosier would have a pretty good idea with all the oddball stuff he's seen. So what's the next case Scooby?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Al and Dave, I might have to rain on this parade. I didn't notice right off that the Cincinnati pennant says "Redlegs", the Reds only used that name from 1953-1958. I also found this auction (don't know the seller, and not trying to "out" anything) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Baseba...item4abb892f88

It shows the identical pennants that Al posted. (note the arrow on the Indians), and includes the Brooklyn Dodgers. This would date them as 1957 or earlier. Its possible Fleer used old pennants, but 6 or more years older?

I don't think we're done yet, sorry Al. Randy
Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I think it is possible Fleer did use old pennants from a third party and then said third party had them updated wth team moves and expansion. With no markings, it's impossible to tell but there were so many pennants produced in the 50's that were sold on the street outside stadiums that there must have been a major supplier out there.

Looks like Redlegs ws still being informally used for a few years after 1959, when the official name reverted.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Al Richter

Default Brookyln

The fact the Brooklyn Dodgers look like they are part of this set seems to make Randy's point a good one
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
The fact the Brooklyn Dodgers look like they are part of this set seems to make Randy's point a good one
Al, I agree and it's certainly not as compelling an argument as his but I think I was not quite clear-it could have been an ongoing series of what are essentially knock off pennants with the expansion teams added. I'm sure, even if these are not those, that Fleer got them dirt cheap and there were some other firm's returns or overstock. Look at the Topps and Bazooka pennants and patches, there are variations and name changes in those over quite a few year's time but with the same basic style to the set.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Default similar question on 49 leaf pennants

I asked a similar question last year in the link below about the '49 Leaf pennant offer, found on the back of many cards. No one was able to produce a photo of one of those definitively either. I bring this up because of the one post in this thread suggesting fleer could have "recycled" and updated the pennants offering for their own packs. I think the dimensions are off but the idea got me thinking about it.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t=leaf+pennant
Old 09-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Al Richter

Default Pennant

Thanks for the info and post Jason. Without logos it may be impossible to pin down unless we find someone who actually sent away for one or both