NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default '63 Bombers Best

Curious as to what folks on here know about this card. Is "snow" in the background common? How would that "snow" affect a grade from PSA or SGC?

Do you guys look at these pics and hazard a guess at a grade? I've looked at some one Ebay and saw several with the "snow". Saw some PSA 7's that compared to this one or even looked worse. Just looking for educated guesses from those who deal with getting raw cards graded.
Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170730_022141.jpg (73.0 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 1963 Bombers Best002.jpg (76.1 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 1963 Bombers Best_back001.jpg (76.5 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 20170728_183552.jpg (78.2 KB, 291 views)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm always more concerned about the bottom borders of the '63 cards. While your 'snow' would probably deduct, I think the corner wear is more telling.

IMHO - 2x PSA-6

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It's possible it's not snow but surface wear instead. But if it is snow, I agree with the 6, maybe even a 5.5 due to the bottom right corner wear. If it's surface wear, it would max out at a 5, IMO.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 AM
Al Richter

While there is no official hobby recognition of it, you can find some of these cards in which the bat knob in his nether region looks to be airbrushed out , at least partially.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Dave Foster

SGC - straight grade; no problemo. PSA - "PD" qualifier.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:34 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I hope you don't consider this hijacking the thread, but i wanted to talk a bit about the 1963 Bombers' Best 'airbrushed bat' variation. This one has always sorta stuck in my craw, existing somewhere in between the realms of actual variations and perceived variations.

On the left here is the 'normal' card and in the middle is Mick's airbrushed crotch (probably not a perfect example of one, but clearly the bat looks different than the card on the left). But pay particular attention to the blacker areas of the photo, and most notably, the pinstripes on the uniforms. The card on the left has very dark and prominent pinstripes, yet the middle card has much lighter, grayish pinstripes. And the main component of the crotch bat that 'changes' between the two examples is the shadowing surrounding it. These shadows are extremely light and almost disappear. To me, this points to the fact that maybe this variation could be the simple result of the black ink running low, and not the Topps folks actually airbrushing out the bat. If they only airbrushed that area, then the darkness everywhere else should be consistent, but it isn't. Those areas, too, are lighter.

The card on the right is there to show yet another degree of lightness in the crotch area (Jesus, I've never said 'crotch' so often). Yet it does show relatively dark pinstripes. This card definitely doesn't match either the card on the left or the card in the center (although it is much more close to the 'normal' card on the left). And if you look at a quantity of these cards, you'll see such a wide range of darkness and sharpness appearing in that area. I dunno. Food for thought.

Technical note: these scans are all just ebay grabs, so they aren't perfectly consistent for the points I am talking about (for instance, the green of the middle card is lighter than the others), but they are very workable for the discussion at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 08-02-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Al Richter

Did not mean to get stuck in anyone's craw, or create crotch frenzies. I have no idea if this card in fact underwent any airbrushing. The fact the number of cards with the bat somewhat obscured seems small argues against it being an intended change. I tend to collect variant cards, whether the difference is intentional or a print defect or just a recurring difference. Here are two of mine. They look different to me. If others think not, that is certainly not something that sticks within my craw

Old 08-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Did not mean to get stuck in anyone's craw, or create crotch frenzies. I have no idea if this card in fact underwent any airbrushing. The fact the number of cards with the bat somewhat obscured seems small argues against it being an intended change. I tend to collect variant cards, whether the difference is intentional or a print defect or just a recurring difference. Here are two of mine. They look different to me. If others think not, that is certainly not something that sticks within my craw

I have noticed 3 distinct different versions. 1) You can clearly see the bat knob. 2) The rest of the card has good color but the bat knob is barely noticeable. 3) The one with the yellow splotch. Like the one Al has pictured on the left. This last one seems to be by far the rarest of the 3.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Ben North

Found mine while going through some stuff today. Not sure what version it is but 3-D glasses might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bombersbest.jpg (78.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg bombersbest1.jpg (81.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 11-28-2017, 08:02 AM
Al Richter

I guess we are lucky that no one with counterfeiting skills has taken a more graphic approach in editing that card