NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2002, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Default When you stand in front of the lord you will know the truth.

Posted By: runscott

I know this will be controversial, but I am so tired of having absolutely every seller of forgeries say "God Bless" in their rebuttal. Following is the latest email from the t206 fake Cobb red portrait seller - several of us were "blessed" with this rebuttal, which should be inserted verbatim in the "How to Rebutt Accusations of Selling Forgeries" manual. I think if I ever meet an actual disabled semi-literate antique dealer from Ohio or Kentucky, I will wet my pants and run screaming from the room.

"God Bless" is very effective and also believable when you hear it in Church, or from a friend or loved one - I even get a slight warm fuzzy when I hear it from Dubya. But somehow the voice of the Speculator just isn't working for me.

The note below was Spec's response to "Ask the Seller" questions sent by myself and several other board members informing him (or her) that the Cobb was a fake. I responded "appropriately", and the message title you see above was his complete, concise response - I guess I better get ready!

Speculator <speculator@valink.com> wrote:

I am not trying to cheat anyone. I sell cards on occasion for a local card dealer on commision. He bought the card under pretents that it was real. It was owned by a history teacher at the local high school since he was a boy. The teacher sold it to a student that was friends with the guy that the card dealer. He in turn asked me to sell it, he thought it was legit. He said to pull it off and we will send it off for grading. I don't know baseball, I know racing.

Not to all of you but, the ones who sent nasty emails HOW DARE YOU JUDGE ME! I could be a half cocked phyco that traces your URL to you IP server and snipe you out as you leave home. Fortunatly for you I am a God fearing, JESUS loving Christian. May the judgement you past on me be on your head. I was caught up in a mess I had no malicious thought about. To the one s who gave me the friendly FYIs, bless you. Thanks, I had no clue. My feedback reflects my honesty! I would never intentionaly mislead anyone. I am disabled and this is my income. Plus I do unto others as I would have done to me. May the Lord bless you all! Regards, Tracy

Old 12-09-2002, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...and I was more than happy to tell him what I thought. I don't really appreciate his "bless you's" either. It's often an odd ritual, actually...

Why does someone like him always have the need to draw attention to someone's sneeze, by saying "bless you"? It's a spontaneous expulsion of air...why does a sneeze require a blessing? Nobody says it when I cough, fart, hiccup or burp... But, for some reason the sneeze requires holiness to settle upon me.

As does, apparently, spectator's questionable vintage card transaction...

Maybe "spectator" can explain it...or perhaps I too have to wait until I'm standing before The Boss. (And, I ain't talkin about Bruce Springsteen!)

Old 12-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I always say "bless you" when I hear someone sneeze. Your heart stops when you sneeze and the tradition is to say "bless you" in that circumstance. Most of the rest of this guys "cockamamey" (sp?) story is just that....regards all

Old 12-09-2002, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Leon
Nice to see someone else use the word cockamamie (correct spelling, I think). We need to keep a few of these old words around for awhile. later brian

Old 12-09-2002, 11:03 AM
Administrator

with Clint Eastwood. He says exactly the same thing about the word cockamamie. Kinda funny.

Old 12-09-2002, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Hi Dan
I had that movie on in the background last week while I was on the computer, I must have stored it for use later. I guess it's like Subliminal(sp) advertising, I didn't even realize where the line came from. Thanks Dan, I've got to watch what I have on in the background, so I don't say anything too crazy. later brian

Old 12-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I've got Harry Potter in the background right now while I'm working on my laptop...

...probably why I keep wanting to say "Wingardium Leviosa"!

Old 12-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Hi Dan
I know what you mean I had Harry Potter on all last week. I found myself wanting to play "Wizards Chess" with anyone who beat me in an auction. Although I was worried about "Troll Boggies" getting on my cards.
I've got Fast and Furious on now so my typing speed should improve, but my spelling might get worse. later brian

Old 12-09-2002, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

I have a Larry Corcoran card as my background,i dont know it helps me do something but i always ask him before i buy any cards...He does want more cards of himself tho,so if anyone wants to help me help him,please do....and i know some people are gonna ask,dont you have enough of them already and the answer is no

Old 12-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Administrator

It was as fun/delightful, very attention-grabbing start to finish, just like the Sorcerer's Stone.

They are doing a terrific job with the Potter movies.

As a die-hard Trek fan, I'm really looking forward to Nemesis this month...

...but NOTHING is rivaling my enjoyment of the Lord of the Rings (#2) about to come out. I can't stand the wait...

This has been a terrific year for movies...

Old 12-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The origins of saying 'Bless you' when someone sneezes can be traced back to the Dark Ages when it was believed that the act sneezing and your open mouth allowed demons to enter your body, thus, someone saying "Bless you" or "getzuntheit"(sp) in response to someone sneezing.

Jay- totally filled with bits of useless information everyone should know

Old 12-09-2002, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 12-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Administrator

...well, not being a religious person, I'll have to concede to the religious rendition of the sneeze ritual.

However, the German term, gesundheit, only means "good health" and has no religious connotation that I am aware of. They don't bless their sneezes or their burps (however, a burp in Germany is a welcome gesture and is offered as praise to the cook).

Two Germans in my household; I was fluent through college and lived Wiesbaden & Rudesheim for a short while...can you tell? LOL...

To make this somewhat vintage card related, I don't sneeze, fart, burp or even eat/drink around any of my cards, especially if I haven't had them slabbed yet. And, I don't handle them whatsoever if I have the hiccups.

Old 12-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Reminds me of a German joke about Hitler. You all know "Heil Hitler" means "hail to Hitler", and they all said it, meeting in the street, etc. (except for those in very small towns who continued to say "Gruess Gott" (Greet God) when they met.)

Well, "Heil" also means "to heal."

Man: "Heil Hitler!"
2nd man: "Heil Du ihn." (YOU heal him.)

Old 12-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

but do you handle them after you have eatten Cheeto's?

Jay

Old 12-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Popeye Lives!

Old 12-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 12-09-2002, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

Everyone lies! and Tracy honey, the only thing wrong with humility is you casn't be proud of it!!!

jam on it!

Old 12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

I make a point to fart on my cards whenever the opportunity presents itself (/sarcasm)

Old 12-10-2002, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I have heard the same.