NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2020, 07:37 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Default PSA Invitational question

Saw over on Blowout that Small Traditions is getting outed for trimming. Reading the OP it was mentioned that they were looking for cards to take to the PSA Invitational to meet with the graders to possibly bump. There’s been talk about the “Invitationals” but has anyone ever been to one? If so what was the experience like? The whole thing to me just drips of a conflict of interest for PSA.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I’ve mentioned this several times on numerous threads over the past years on this board......gets little attention. I have serious questions about what goes on at these secret meetings. You have to be a high volume submitter I think it’s a minimum amount you have to bring in value to be graded. Then supposedly you get to speak 1 on 1 with a greater about your cards. How great does that sound ?? transparency? Oh that’s right forget about it we just offer opinions, what a joke! Stinks doesn’t it ?

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-13-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:22 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sadly, nobody that actually attends these Invitationals is likely to comment within this thread. Why would they reveal secrets and tacit agreements that would further expose the fraud and corruption?

Perhaps 2-3% of the ongoing hobby/industry sleaze has been revealed so far. Still the tip of the iceberg. There are a whole slew of other corrupt participants who are keeping a low profile and hoping that they can remain under the radar.

None of them are likely to open up this can of worms, or reveal any other favors granted by PSA in exchange for increased business and submissions. So unfortunately, this is likely to be a very short thread.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-13-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:40 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Sadly, nobody that actually attends these Invitationals is likely to comment within this thread. Why would they reveal secrets and tacit agreements that would further expose the fraud and corruption?

Perhaps 2-3% of the ongoing hobby/industry sleaze has been revealed so far. Still the tip of the iceberg. There are a whole slew of other corrupt participants who are keeping a low profile and hoping that they can remain under the radar.

None of them are likely to open up this can of worms, or reveal any other favors granted by PSA in exchange for increased business and submissions. So unfortunately, this is likely to be a very short thread.
Yup why bite the hand that feeds them......it's a rigged system in favor of the big submitter's ....some of the type guys with adds on their website and SMR
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The invitationals from TPGs seem like a way to get preferential treatment. That isn't the way it's supposed to be. Maybe the FBI should take a look at those too.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 AM
Ben North

With PSA does anybody really know who is invited? Is it just the top submitters or is it all members in their submitter club or whatever they call their membership for submitting?

Does Beckett do anything similar?

I can only comment on SGC from about 3 years ago. They do something similar and they must invite everyone in their submitter club or whatever it is called. I say this because the year I was a member I got a invitation. I am not a big submitter, I just wanted a few 100 cards graded and it was cheaper if I joined the club.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The invitationals from TPGs seem like a way to get preferential treatment. That isn't the way it's supposed to be. Maybe the FBI should take a look at those too.

100% Leon I've been talking about the PSA INVITATIONALS FOR YEARS......
All dependent upon how far the US Prosecutors Office and the FBI wanna dig and take it........maybe it's a time for someone to wear a wire.......

These are in person no paper trail or electronic means of communications sit downs ....that's why I mention a wire.....all dependent of course on how far they want to dig and go after the criminals

Last edited by Johnny630; 01-16-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Bob Davies

I always thought the “PSA Invitational” was a golf tournament.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

There is nothing illegal about a PSA invitational. (even with preferential treatment)
The problem starts with consumers believing grades are legally binding.
It's a service and an opinion with no legal implications.
Unfortunately this service has become a multi million dollar game changer.
None of this will hold up in court if you ask me.

If it were up to me everything should just be "authenticated" and premiums held for eye appeal. No numerical grades or subjective opinion by Joe Schmo who found a job at a TPG.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
There is nothing illegal about a PSA invitational. (even with preferential treatment)
The problem starts with consumers believing grades are legally binding.
It's a service and an opinion with no legal implications.
Unfortunately this service has become a multi million dollar game changer.
None of this will hold up in court if you ask me.

If it were up to me everything should just be "authenticated" and premiums held for eye appeal. No numerical grades or subjective opinion by Joe Schmo who found a job at a TPG.
Of course it should be that way. But their preferential grading system and highly subjective numbering have likely corrupted things forever (or at least in our lifetimes).

It will take an entirely new TPG entry to authenticate the way you described... But addicted Sheeple actually embracing it is a whole different story.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 AM
Johnny MaZilli

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181454