NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Donny Muth

Default Card Shops & Shows in Alabama/Tennessee

Does anyone on the board have experience with any of the card shops in North Alabama (Birmingham and North)?

I live in Huntsville and the two card shops here are largely (90%+) new cards. I picked up a couple of '64s and '60s from Champs the other day, but his selection of old cards is pretty sad.

I figured B'ham might have better selection. I'll be making a trip down to B'ham on Jan 8th and thought I'd ask around beforehand. Can anyone recommended a shop in B'ham or elsewhere near Huntsville that deals in vintage (pre-war or post-war up to about 1970)?

Also, has anyone been to the card shows that occur monthly in Mufreesboro or Nashville, TN? I know there is one at the Ramada Limited and one at the Double Tree in Mufreesboro. Also, there is one at the Radison Hotel Opryland in Nashville. Do any of these shows have dealers that have a good selection of vintage baseball cards?

Are there any good shops for vintage baseball cards in Nashville?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Tennessee Card Shops

I was in Nashville this summer and tried to find a card shop. I only found 2 and they were awful. One was a pawn shop (listed in the phone book as a card shop) and the other was so small, crowded and smelly I couldn't spend more than 5 min. in there. Couldn't give the name of either one as I tried to forget them instantly.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM

The number of card shops in the United States which sells a good selection of vintage cards could probably be counted on both hands.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
JeR@Me

Default The Ramada Opryland Show..

The Ramada Opryland Show is mostly shiny stuff, although there have been a couple of decent vintage dealers at the last few. I don't know how well they did, so that may be short lived. I have been to this show with my twin son's who are 6 years old and it is good for that experience. We found some 70's Kellogg 3-D cards on the cheap and since those along with Hostess cards were my first experience into baseball cards, I thought it was pretty cool that the boys found the 3-D cards neat and they purchased a stack of 25 of them for 4 bucks. (What a deal!) The vintage stuff was decent, but I think it is hit or miss, as the guys with the vintage stuff have been there on a few occasions, but not every time.

I attended the Murfreesboro shows as a kid and they were pretty good, but feedback I have received is vintage is hit or miss there as well.

Happy Holidays,

JJ
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Chris Buckler

The Opreyland show in Nashville is worth the drive. It is hit or miss on what dealers will be their however the winter is the best time to go, as there are few shows for dealers to choose from. Nashville has a decent collecting base and I know several dealers who will be set up at the next show. The show is primarily modern cards but there are 5 or 6 dealers who carry vintage only with 1 or 2 of them having a reasonable amount or prewar.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Donny Muth

Default Thanks for the replies this far

For what it's worth... to me "vintage" means both pre-war and post-war since I am searching for stuff up through the 60's. So, finding a good dealer or show that has 40's, 50's and 60's stuff would be great!

I'm not dead set on finding someone with tons of pre-war material, although that would be super as I also collect T206s, Goudeys, and other pre-war issues.

Thanks for the advice so far. Please keep it coming!!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
JB

Default .....................

The only store i am aware of in Bham/Hoover area is on Lorna road in Hoover, as far as vintage...........next to zero. I stop in every now and again to look around, mostly newer packs and pulls. As for shows in Bham, i couldn't tell you the last time i heard about one much less attended one. "(
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Daryle Barbee

I've been to the Murfreesboro show many times. Lots and lots of the new shiny stuff but there is a mix of vintage sometimes. If you're into the 50's-60's there is usually a couple guys there that have plenty. One guy for sure does. He's from Kentucky and sets up at the show a few times a year. Great and vast selsetion of HOFers from 50s-70s and commons, hi numbers,etc in baseball and football, Topps and Bowman and has vintage basketball from time to time. Like stated above, it is a hit miss show. I have found a few goodies----T200 Phila NL and T200 Cleveland....bought both for $200....T206s, Goudeys and Play Ball cards pop up there occasionally...so if you dig, you may find something. Also, Dick DeCoursey sets up there a couple times a year.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Birmingham Shops

The best shop in the Birmingham area is Dougs Coin shop in Homewood. It is on 280 just off 459. He has been in the card business for over 20 years and has a lot of 50's-80's. You should call before going to make sure Doug will be at the shop. The only card shows in Birmingham are small weekend shows at the Galleria. The last one I can remember was over 5 years ago. On another note the Tennessee State Fair grounds in Nashville has a monthly flea market which has about 5-6 dealers that carry a small amount of vintage.

Good Luck
Kirk
Old 12-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Banned

If you are looking to get cards graded go to www.sgsgrading.us. Quality grading at affordable prices.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Rich Klein

If Uncle Dick is at a show, most pre-1970 card collectors will have a good selection and prices to choose from. He is one of my favorite people in this business and really helped us a lot when I was at Beckett.

Rich
Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM

I attend the show in Murfreesboro now and again (most recently in August) and am generally not impressed. It used to be a decent show I suppose, but it has gone downhill, in my opinion.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsgrading View Post
If you are looking to get cards graded go to www.sgsgrading.us. Quality grading at affordable prices.
Spam alert!