NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Richard Simon

Default OT-Money does not matter anymore

I was just informed that the Yankees signed Tanaka for 7 years for $155 million,,yes 155 not a typo.
All that money for someone who has never pitched in the major leagues.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-22-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM
pete ullman

Plus the yankees have to pay his japanese team 20 mil next season.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM
Barry Sloate

So seldom do these contracts ever pan out. They almost always turn into really bad deals. But if the Yankees don't do it, somebody else will.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
So seldom do these contracts ever pan out. They almost always turn into really bad deals. But if the Yankees don't do it, somebody else will.
The Rays? ---- I don't think so, Barry

In the last 4 years the Rays record against the Yankees is 41-32.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 01-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Barry Sloate

Well maybe not the Rays, but someone with a little extra cash in their pockets.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Apparently no one but the Yankees were willing to pay that much.

And interesting that they were unwilling to pay Cano -- a possible HOFer in the prime of his career -- much more than what they're paying this pitcher with no MLB track record. I'm actually starting to think Hank Steinbrenner is an idiot.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post

And interesting that they were unwilling to pay Cano -- a possible HOFer in the prime of his career -- much more than what they're paying this pitcher with no MLB track record. I'm actually starting to think Hank Steinbrenner is an idiot.
Remember Dice-K?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:

There's a big difference between 10 years - $240 million to a 31 year old and 7 years - $155 million to a 25 year old.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM
octavio ranzola

Yankees stink go Oakland as
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Remember Dice-K?
I remember that guy. Foul mouth, but funny.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 AM

I hate the Yankees, but for the pitcher-and I say this in all sincerity and compassion-I hope it works out better than it did for Hideki Irabu.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Larry More.y

Hideki Irabu anyone? If a any MLB team wants to sign a Japanese player, sign a position player, not a pitcher!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Pete Sycks

I miss Hideki Irabu aka "The fat toad". Possibly the best nickname ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (6.2 KB, 353 views)

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Adam,

You just made my day .
Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Nathan C0ckre.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Adam,

You just made my day .
Ditto!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
There's a big difference between 10 years - $240 million to a 31 year old and 7 years - $155 million to a 25 year old.
The Yankees could have had Cano for 8 years and $200 million is my guess. Certainly Cano wasn't expecting them to match the Mariners' offer of $240 million. Guaranteeing $45 million more over 7-8 years for a possible HOF player seems pretty reasonable considering the other guy has never thrown a pitch in the major leagues.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Just add him to the list:

Hawkins
Irabu
Wright
Pavano
Farnsworth
Igawa
Chan Ho Park
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
The Yankees could have had Cano for 8 years and $200 million is my guess. Certainly Cano wasn't expecting them to match the Mariners' offer of $240 million. Guaranteeing $45 million more over 7-8 years for a possible HOF player seems pretty reasonable considering the other guy has never thrown a pitch in the major leagues.
Cano was offered $175 over 7 years by the Yankees. For Cano 10 years was a requirement and the Yankees were smart to pass on that. Look at Pujols and A-Rod..
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Cano was offered $175 over 7 years by the Yankees. For Cano 10 years was a requirement and the Yankees were smart to pass on that. Look at Pujols and A-Rod..
U mean for Jay Z 10 yrs was a requirement.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 01-22-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
U mean for Jay Z 10 yrs was a requirement.
Yes, sorry.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
If a any MLB team wants to sign a Japanese player, sign a position player, not a pitcher!
Yeah, that's likely to pan out. See Tsuyoshi Nishioka, the greatest bust in Twins history. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/84...-salary-buyout
"Nishioka spent most of 2012 with the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings, batting .258 with two home runs and 34 RBIs in 392 at-bats. He played in only three games for the Twins this summer, making two errors plus several other mistakes in the field and going 0 for 12 with one sacrifice fly."
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-22-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Trey

There are 8 Japanese players currently in the MLB, 6 are pitchers. Of those pitchers, Yu Darvish is a legitimate #1 starter. Iwakuma is a top of the rotation type starter, Kuroda, in his late 30's, is a very nice middle of the rotation starter, Uehara is a fantastic set-up man or closer, and Tazawa is a solid set up man.

I agree, it is a ton of money to give a guy with no MLB experience, however Japanese pitchers have proven, especially recently, that they can be extremely successful in the Major Leagues. Saying this kid is a bust and it's a foregone conclusion does not quite reflect reality.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:

MLB Network reported this morning that the Cubs offered 150 mil and that was their ceiling. Of course the Yanks had no problem bumping them at 155.

I actually like the deal vs. paying Cano. They have the hitters, they NEEDED pitching to make a serious WS run. Time will tell of Tanaka is as advertised.

Last edited by MyGuyTy; 01-22-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Jeff--I don't think the relevant comparison is versus Cano. The Yankees desperately need pitching and he was their best alternative. The question to ask is why the Yankees shelled out all that money for Ellsbury when for about the same amount they could have had Cano.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Barry Sloate

Tanaka will help- he was 24-0 after all- but they are such a mishmash of old and brittle players that it is hard to imagine much good will happen for them in 2014. Look for them to hover around .500 this year and miss the playoffs.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Brock

You yankee haters are too funny.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Jeff--I don't think the relevant comparison is versus Cano. The Yankees desperately need pitching and he was their best alternative. The question to ask is why the Yankees shelled out all that money for Ellsbury when for about the same amount they could have had Cano.
Agreed, makes no sense. Ellsbury isn't half the player Cano is and he can't stay on the field either. Yes, the Yankees need pitching but they also need to fill Cano's hole in the lineup.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:48 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Barry--a few months ago I was pretty pessimistic about the team the Yankees would field in '14, but they have done a good job coming up with what could be a very competitive squad. Consider this projected starting lineup and rotation.

Ellsbury. OF
Jeter. SS
Beltran. OF
Teixeira. 1B
McCann C
Soriano DH
Johnson 3B
Roberts 2B
Gardner OF

Sabathia
Tanaka
Kuroda
Nova
Phelps
Pineda (yes, he does exist)

There are some questions regarding players coming off injuries, but if they have recovered and can revert to somewhere near their pre-injury form, the everyday players should be solid. To me the key is Sabathia. He has been going down hill for the last several years. Any decline from here and he is a sub-500 pitcher and that would be bad. I think having Kuroda on the team helps Tanaka, and I expect both to pitch well. Nova is a good fourth starter and Phelps is pretty solid. Pineda is a wild card. If he can regain his Seattle form he could be a real plus.
With Mo gone, I think the Yankees could make Robertson the closer. It won't be close to the same, but he can get the job done. The Yankees usually do a good job cobbling together a bullpen, and I would think this year will be no different.
On paper, they're not among the strongest teams in the league, but they have the potential to make some noise.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Cano is a very strong player, but with only above average power, the gap between him and an average second baseman is likely not the difference between winning or not. On the other hand, a starting pitcher can make all the difference in the world, so perhaps it was worth the gamble even though with no real track record it's a legitimate longshot.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-22-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM
Bruce Mattioli

$155 Million on a pitcher that has not thrown one pitch in the Majors??.. Sounds like a great deal to me..
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Guys, I know Japanese pitchers are always super hyped up. But this one was 24 - 0. You can't ignore that. He wasn't just a good pitcher. He was unbeatable.

I get that he hasn't thrown a MLB pitch yet. But what would a college pitcher who went 24 - 0 command as the first overall pick in a free market without restrictions? At least he's pitched professionally.

Last edited by packs; 01-22-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM

I guess the cost of not successfully developing young starting pitching though the draft made this a must signing. I watch Japanese bb quite a bit and he does have electric stuff (his splitter just drops off the table), but we won't know until he faces the big boys... I suppose if he fails as a starter they can always make him a closer (but expensive one) like Koji Uehara, who started out as a starter in Japan until he injured his arm and converted to a reliever...

Ricky Y
Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Jay- It's a very good team if everyone stays healthy, agreed. But given their age and their injury history, that will be virtually impossible. Maybe the younger players will step up, and maybe they will overachieve, but realistically expect to see a lot of players making trips to the disabled list. The team has too many older guys.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

"Money" and the excessive amount paid to the players is one of the reasons I don't care for current MLB. I am very capitalistic so do understand they make their team owners enough money to justify their salaries but still......
Old 01-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Jim Hopkins

I think this shows how underpaid players that goes thru the standard 6 years of team control before free agency really are.

"Players received 63 percent of revenues in 2003, a high in recent history according to the Sports Business Journal (and players received 60 percent of revenue in 1994). But players’ percentage share has decreased by 20 percent in a decade. Players’ share of revenues dipped below 50 percent in 2010, and according to Tribune-Review calculations, it reached 42 percent in 2013."

The owners are doing alright it seems.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default . . . and to think I was extremely disappointed . . .

. . . that my beloved Tigers chose to trade Doug Fister. I know that he was no superstar, but I think, with the Tigers, you could count on him to win 12-18 games a season, and be competitive in most of them. A control pitcher that threw strikes. I understand needing a decent outfielder but I have always been in the camp that decent pitching is more difficult to find/develop than position players. Put together a staff of 5 such solid pitching starters, and you have a pretty decent staff. Might even able put such a staff together for $155 million. Maybe the Yankees missed out on a bargain. Or, maybe they are looking for the next great star. The Yanks are certainly rolling the dice.