NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Default 1915 Cracker Jack PSA 1.5 sold for $18,000 in REA auction

I was worried about how many of my 9 REA high bids going into Sunday were actually going to go through. Not one did! Lot 633 had 28 1915 Cracker Jacks all in low grade SGC slabs 24 being HOF'ers sold for $9k. Lot 645 had 107 vg-gd raw 1915 Cracker Jacks, it went for $9k! That is more than $84 per card for low grade raw cards! The biggest surprise was the Jackson going for $18k! unreal. VCP is definitely a guideline as it seems its more about how bad someone wants something. I suppose this justify's some of the what i deem outrageous prices people are asking on ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 CJ JJ.jpg (7.1 KB, 876 views)

Completed 1986/87 Fleer Basketball

Completed 1935 National Chicle - 36/36

1933 Goudey - 195/240

Always looking for 1935 National Chicle Football cards or the premiums.

Last edited by Madi$on18joshua; 10-29-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 10-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Jon Canfield

That card is a great looking card though. However, long gone are the days you can pick up a Jax for under $10k.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:40 PM
Don Hontz

Yes, a very nice looking Jackson especially for that grade. As for CJ Jackson's , I just sold my sgc 50 Jackson. I tried to get a few in REA last night and was shut out. They had a nice Chance and Rickey. But got beat at the end.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madi$on18joshua View Post
I was worried about how many of my 9 REA high bids going into Sunday were actually going to go through. Not one did! Lot 633 had 28 1915 Cracker Jacks all in low grade SGC slabs 24 being HOF'ers sold for $9k. Lot 645 had 107 vg-gd raw 1915 Cracker Jacks, it went for $9k! That is more than $84 per card for low grade raw cards! The biggest surprise was the Jackson going for $18k! unreal. VCP is definitely a guideline as it seems its more about how bad someone wants something. I suppose this justify's some of the what i deem outrageous prices people are asking on ebay.
Micah,

I'm going to say something we already know, and that's " buy the card, not the holder ". To beat the cliche's, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay. You collect CJ, and have paid a variety of prices for similar grades of cards. Especially HoF'rs with nice eye appeal, regardless of the grade, will command a decent price. This is true of most cards of HoF'rs, or other desirable cards and issues. VCP is a nice guide for me, as are other resources, but I don't hold them to specific prices. I'm sure you already know this, and others will have something to share as well. Sounds like you have a great collection going!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Micah,

I'm going to say something we already know, and that's " buy the card, not the holder ". To beat the cliche's, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay. You collect CJ, and have paid a variety of prices for similar grades of cards. Especially HoF'rs with nice eye appeal, regardless of the grade, will command a decent price. This is true of most cards of HoF'rs, or other desirable cards and issues. VCP is a nice guide for me, as are other resources, but I don't hold them to specific prices. I'm sure you already know this, and others will have something to share as well. Sounds like you have a great collection going!
Thanks Lou! You are so correct as I have been on both sides - getting caught up in the moment and way over paying and getting killer buys. I can remember one overpaying time I was at Legoland and a card I wanted was ending #32 3 Fingers Brown - I received notification from HA I was outbid without the time to do the research I simply made the next available bid - with buyers premium I paid $660 plus tax and shipping for a $500 card - lol.

In thinking about it maybe that person was in some similar situation and decided they had to have it.

I appreciate your kind words, Lou. I am looking forward to my 2 year old son (Joshua) playing ball and me being able to share stories with him about the guys in this set.

1933 Goudey - 195/240

Old 10-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
I simply made the next available bid - with buyers premium I paid $660 plus tax and shipping for a $500 card - lol.
You didn't pay too much, you only paid too soon. It will be worth that and more in time.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Micah L Marshall II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
You didn't pay too much, you only paid too soon. It will be worth that and more in time.

Great perspective!

Thanks, Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1933 Goudey - 195/240

Old 10-30-2018, 08:45 PM
JeR@Me

Default CJ Joe..

The Cracker Joe is such an attractive card... Up, up and away... $$$ - I saw an affordable alternative in the REA Auction. The 1913 National Game Joe with an attractive image as well and it's period. I wonder if there are more Cracker Jack Joe's than National Game Joe's ? It seems to me there might be, but would need the pop reports to check... Also, is the 1913 National Game Joe the earliest image on a card of Joe?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
The Cracker Joe is such an attractive card... Up, up and away... $$$ - I saw an affordable alternative in the REA Auction. The 1913 National Game Joe with an attractive image as well and it's period. I wonder if there are more Cracker Jack Joe's than National Game Joe's ? It seems to me there might be, but would need the pop reports to check... Also, is the 1913 National Game Joe the earliest image on a card of Joe?
The 1913 National Game Jackson is nice. But it isn't a Cracker Jack Jackson, not even close. I personally think that the CJ is Jackson's most attractive card by far. In any event, I'm glad I decided to take my beating and get one earlier, because I don't know if I would want to do that anymore. Its too crazy right now.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:27 AM

Default Joe Jax Cracker Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
The 1913 National Game Jackson is nice. But it isn't a Cracker Jack Jackson, not even close. I personally think that the CJ is Jackson's most attractive card by far. In any event, I'm glad I decided to take my beating and get one earlier, because I don't know if I would want to do that anymore. Its too crazy right now.
I certainly agree that the Joe Jax CJ is an amazing looking card. However, from an aesthetics perspective, my favorite Jax batting pose are his 1917 Boston Store/Collins McCarthy & 1920 Holdom Bread issues. His imposing full black uniform and “Black Betsy bat over shoulder” image is simply awe-inspiring, to say the least. The CJ has the advantage of the colorful red background, but that black uniform illustration “seals the deal” for me.” All personal preference of course.

Regards,
Joe T.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 10-31-2018 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 10-31-2018, 08:21 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
I certainly agree that the Joe Jax CJ is an amazing looking card. However, from an aesthetics perspective, my favorite Jax batting pose are his 1917 Boston Store/Collins McCarthy & 1920 Holdom Bread issues. His imposing full black uniform and “Black Betsy bat over shoulder” image is simply awe-inspiring, to say the least. The CJ has the advantage of the colorful red background, but that black uniform illustration “seals the deal” for me.” All personal preference of course.

Regards,
Joe T.
As mentioned by Joe... about Joe. Here's my favorite Joe:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e135 joe3.jpg (75.1 KB, 344 views)
Old 10-31-2018, 11:24 AM
Micah L Marshall II

Default 1915 CJ Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I couldn't agree more, his most attractive card love the pose and that red background and thankful I pulled the trigger on one when I did too!

By that one selling for 18k does that raise the bar for all grades or would it be considered a one off?

1933 Goudey - 195/240

Old 10-31-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Joe Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
As mentioned by Joe... about Joe. Here's my favorite Joe:
Beautiful card....wow!
Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM
JeR@Me

Default It's all about the Joe's...

It's interesting as many elements make up the reasons why the Joe Jackson's cards have favorites... I love the 1914/15 CJ Joe & love all the same the real photo pics on the 1915/16 Sporting News & 1917 - Black Uni pose, but as far as image, I don't think I have seen a better photo image than the 1913 Nat'l Game pic on a card. It's up close, and shows Joe's true essence and it's his earliest real image on a card. Between the the litho 1909 and CJ image, no question the CJ wins hands down. Super attractive. Between the real images, I like the National game image the best, but if we are going pure pose, I like the Sporting news with that swing and real image coming at you... The 1917 is just cool with the Black Uni... All are great cards and appeal to different collectors for different reasons whether it be price, rarity, earliest known image, type, etc... It's all about the Joe's
Old 11-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, his most attractive card love the pose and that red background and thankful I pulled the trigger on one when I did too!

By that one selling for 18k does that raise the bar for all grades or would it be considered a one off?
Time will tell if other grades of the card follow suit. I am of the thought " a rising tide lifts all boats ". This is a phrase you'll hear from time to time on this forum. Other members will have their own thoughts and opinions to share too.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I have to go with his Pinkerton cabinet. It has got it all.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Micah L Marshall II

Default Lotg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Time will tell if other grades of the card follow suit. I am of the thought " a rising tide lifts all boats ". This is a phrase you'll hear from time to time on this forum. Other members will have their own thoughts and opinions to share too.
My thoughts too, Lou. There will be at least one more coming to auction this year from LOTG. It is graded authentic by PSA. Wonder what it will bring? $12-14k?

1933 Goudey - 195/240