NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Zach

Default How many times a day do you look at your collection?

I don't know if this subject has ever been brought up in a thread but, how many times a day, week, within a month, or year do you take out your cards and admire them? Do you look at the whole collection in one shot? Do you look at different parts of it on different days? Is your collection in safety deposit box? How long do you stare at each card? Are your cards displayed, or just some? Does your wife or girlfriend yell at you for looking over those damn cards again and call you obsessed lol?

For me I look over my entire collection a few times a week and it takes me 1.5 hours and growing as my collection gets bigger. I do not display mine because I do not want to risk a burgler coming in and seeing them right there (me being paranoid). I look at my prewar cards a little longer than my post war. My finacee rolls her eyes and sometimes accuses me of being obsessed and I spend more time with "those things" in her words, then with her, so I cut back on my gazing or only do it when shes in bed or at work.

Last edited by zljones; 04-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

safe deposit box for safety, but I look at it online all the time, almost daily. Nice stress reliever.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
R Dixon

Default Me

I scan my cards and put them on my website when I get them, so I can look at the images whenever I want. As for the actual cards...I look at them around once a month or so. I don't display my cards in my house either because I worry about burglary. I do display variuos autographs on 8 x 10's, footballs, boxing gloves, etc. in my little cave in the house, but the thieves can have those. As for my wife...she doesn't get too annoyed with me collecting. She just thinks I'm a nerd. She knows it could be worse though. Her twin sister married one of those comic book freaks! Those guys are over the top!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
David Pierson
Banned

[QUOTE=rdixon comic book freaks! Those guys are over the top! [/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged.....I throw myself on the lenience of the court. My name is David and I am a Card and Comic freak! I keep my cards in two separate vaults in two different locations. I look at them about once a week. My comics are just beat "reading copies" as I handle and read them everyday all day when I can. dave ps If I had to choose my cards or comics...it would be like "Sophies Choice" just couldn't do it! Any other Card Comic Nuts out there??
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Honestly, I never look at my collection.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
nels0n aud.et

a couple time a week, with my 4 month son, i have not enough time to put in my collection... but when my son sleep in his bed, i go to my office and look at my collection. The big piece are in bank deposit box.

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 04-03-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:58 PM
octavio ranzola

all in a safety deposit box and safe.when i get cards in the mail i keep them out for a few days and put them away ,,
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

My cards are kept in my gun safe. I look at them about about 2-3X a week. Everything is kept in boxes with other like cards (Ex. a box of E cards, a box of T cards, a couple of boxes of Post War along with boxes of various sets). Whenever I get a new card, it goes into it's respecitve box, but I always pull the others out of the box and look at those as well. I usually get 2-3 packages a week, so I look at my cards 2-3X a week.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I have some of my favorites on display, but I am with you Cardboard Junkie with the comics. I also collect Movie Posters and Kid's meal premiums as well as anything batman related.

I don't consistently pull anything out to look at them. The ones on display in my living room get looked at and rearranged often. Yet anything in storage boxes in the basement just get pulled out at random and looked through. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I went through my movie posters.

The only collection that my wife thought I was crazy for having was my kids meal toys, until I pulled them out and she went through them. Afterwards she said something like "those were really fun to go through, I remember a lot of those from when I was a child. We should keep those and give them to our kids". She is a huge batman collector so she just doubled that collection when we got married.

When I do pull out the cards it takes me forever because I read through the backs (making old judge and t206s very quick to go through, lol). There isn't anything on the back of the cards I couldn't read online, but it is interesting to see what they felt was important to put on the card that year.

A lot of boxed cards get looked through because my daughter will find a box pull it out and start removing the cards. So then I sit down with her and look at them, or if I am not there I just find myself cleaning them up when I get home.

My now 18month old daughter kept pulling out a '55 bowman Aaron card about 4months ago. Every time I would take it back she would take it again. I finally asked if she wanted it and she shook her head yes. So now it is hers and is on display in her room (the only baseball card in there).
Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Jason Wells

I keep my cards in a few boxes in my house.I have a security system so I dont really worry about being robbed.I look at them about once a week.However,i look at my online registry almost daily.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
safe deposit box for safety, but I look at it online all the time, almost daily. Nice stress reliever.
+1
Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Rawn Hill

12 video, 3 still cameras, hidden room, cell connect to NVR, I can look anytime I want. My girlfriend understands the addiction. I'll be there Thursday in the room for opening day.

Rawn
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrigansghost View Post
12 video, 3 still cameras, hidden room, cell connect to NVR, I can look anytime I want. My girlfriend understands the addiction. I'll be there Thursday in the room for opening day.

Rawn

i hAVE SAME installation :

security system
+
a big safe
+
i take specialized insurance for my collection

But with all this security system i don t keep my valuable item in my house lol

Anyone here take some specialized insurance for his collection ?

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 04-03-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Ken McMillan

See collection 3 to 4 times daily. Displayed in wall cabinets with locks. Security system for home.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

ADT and secret room for me. Wall to wall in cutom built cabinets/shelves. Probably go in daily
Old 04-03-2012, 02:55 PM
nels0n aud.et

it is verry nice to have a secret room
Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
$teve O.

I have my stuff displayed in my half of our down stairs.I'm down there everyday.Its protected by a German Shepard and a .357.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
.Its protected by a German Shepard and a .357.
i love it !
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Ken McMillan

My Yankees are guarded by a Boston terrier
Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

My collection is guarded by ignorance.
Just as my dad's was when his house was broken into and none of his display pieces were taken.

The police noticed the lack of interest in the collection right away and knew that the robbers weren't really well informed because it wasn't electronic.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
I have my stuff displayed in my half of our down stairs.I'm down there everyday.Its protected by a German Shepard and a .357.
.357 snub nose Taurus model .617, and a .45 Baller for me. I do not have a dog though.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
.357 snub nose taurus model .617, and a .45 baller for me. I do not have a dog though.
nice!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Jeff

don't look at it more days than I do
have a lot of scans tho

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default on line

Most of mine is online and I look at some of it almost every day....
Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Safety deposit box for the good stuff. Online viewing is a daily thing. Never gets old. Scan, resize, upload, etc....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Craig Wright

I look at various parts of my collection most everyday. Some are displayed, some in albums, some in boxes, some in mason jars buried in the backyard. Below is how I protect my really important pieces ... like a dragon guarding his treasure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sebastian 2007-10 (02).JPG (64.9 KB, 271 views)
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
MikeHealer

Nice Craig.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Borders View Post
Below is how I protect my really important pieces ... like a dragon guarding his treasure!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

I tend to buy infrequently these days, and they're usually $1000+ so every purchase makes it's way to the safe deposit box. I figure I make a purchase probably every other month or so, so when I take my new items to the bank, I'll take a minute and look through the box. So, I guess as a generalization I go through my collection 6x a year...

But I do have some memorabilia on the walls, on display all the time as well, but that feels more like "art"

Last edited by phikappapsi; 04-03-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Alan U

Don't look at my cards too often, but have some framed SI posters and other items I see all the time. Also have a few nodders out that I see all the time too.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

+1

JimB
Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 AM
I@n Cl@rke

The safe deposit box in my profile pic has been overflowing for a while. It used to be very neatly packed with top loaders and I only saw my cards when I added another, but of late the PSA/SGC holders have become a total space killer. Out of necessity I keep more cards at home, which has made me more clingy with my collection. I've got a bedroom display, which I rotate regularly, and have even started carrying a small box of favorites with me on my frequent business trips (wish I could use air miles on cards).. just eases my mind knowing I've got a little stash nearby.

My fiancee thinks I'm completely nuts but also concedes it's "cute" how much I love them..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hotel stash.jpg (74.9 KB, 278 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 AM
pete ullman

I keep my high buck cards in the vault and reference the scans on a pseudo daily basis. I have cards all over the place at home so it's hard to NOT see at least 1 or 2 of them on a daily basis whether I intend to or not! I'll often pull up a card or two and leave it on my computer desktop to enjoy throughout the day!

Part of me enjoys viewing the scans of my cards more than looking at the cards themselves!

I probably go through the majority of my collection a few times/yr to organize and arrange them by type and issue.

Seeing all of the amazing cards on here...on a daily basis...curbs my cravings for cards on a daily basis!

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-04-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Jim Mac

I'm retired so I spend a fair amount of time with my cards. Have a safe that was once full of my best cards but found the need to display most of them. Remodeled my "Hobby Room" recently and have enjoyed relaxing with the collection while while also enjoying a cold beer. Home has a security system and the "ROOM" on the top floor has special protection with re-inforced doors and locks. Where I live there is a lot of crime but most of these thieves are to lazy and stupid to climb an extra fleight of stairs. I do carry additional insurance in case of fire or theft. I enjoy sending cards to my grandson in New Orleans and then talking on the phone with him about his little collection. Great fun for an old man like me.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Paul

Default Safe Deposit Box

All of my best cards are in my safe deposit box, but I keep my website and a picassa album pretty active. I spent a half hour this morning making this composite image of the 39 different subject signed T206s I have, so I could enjoy them all scrunched together in a way that would not be possible if I placed them all on a table or floor...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM
John Harrell

Default How many times per day?

I have a guest bedroom converted to my memorabilia room so I look at parts of my collection several times per day. The walls are covered with sports related posters, pictures, and other advertising signs, the back of the room has my pre-1920 handmade bat collection (about 130), and the bookshelves and closet hold the card collection. No matter where I look I get to enjoy.

John
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I look at online scans of my cards every 2-3 days. I look at the actual cards probably once a month or so. The high value cards are in a safety deposit box.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Fortunately (or, I guess unfortunately for me) my collection does not come close to anyone's on this site...but I'm happy with my SGC 10 T206's and Nolan Ryan stuff. I look at it probably once a week....I sleep easy with my SigSaur next to me!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM
JB

Default ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
My Yankees are guarded by a Boston terrier

Am i the only one that thought this was ironic.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
All of my best cards are in my safe deposit box, but I keep my website and a picassa album pretty active. I spent a half hour this morning making this composite image of the 39 different subject signed T206s I have, so I could enjoy them all scrunched together in a way that would not be possible if I placed them all on a table or floor...

That is beautiful- thank you for showing that !!!

Sincerely, Clayton

Oh yeah.....I look at my collection online all of the time, otherwise a few times a week. It's nice to inspect them for the 1000th time in hand as well
Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Ken McMillan

[QUOTE=jbbama;981265]Am i the only one that thought this was ironic. :

JB, glad that somebody caught the joke. Sad but true that a Boston terrier guards the house. LOL

Last edited by kmac32; 04-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Zach

[QUOTE=kmac32;981768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbama View Post
Am i the only one that thought this was ironic. :

JB, glad that somebody caught the joke. Sad but true that a Boston terrier guards the house. LOL
I caught the joke, sometimes I laugh but I do not reply, especially since my posting counter is through the roof for a new member
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM
MikeB.

I've got quite a few cards, pictures, books, et al, out on shelves and on the wall of my room. My PhotoBucket account has all of my '62T Master set on display -- the same pics as on the Registry site (link).

I do have a line on a special bookshelf door for a small room that I'd like to get set up one day soon...