NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default Sgc

My magic question to all of you is why doesn't this hobby as a whole give SGC the respect it deserves as far as card values are concerned?

I've had the opportunity to meet and have several conversations with Dave Forman, what a top notch guy and what knowledge he possesses in this hobby.

Now I will state for the record I went to SGC to have cards graded after I cracked from a PSA holder. Unfortunately for me I did not receive higher grades and in one case I received a lower grade than PSA gave the card.
I can guarantee that SGC grades cards much more conservatively than PSA, but leaves me scratching my head as to why PSA is always getting 30% more for same grade.

This just isn't fair. I'd take an SGC card any day.

Last edited by aloondilana; 04-27-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloondilana View Post
My magic question to all of you is why doesn't this hobby as a whole give SGC the respect it deserves as far as card values are concerned?

I've had the opportunity to meet and have several conversations with Dave Forman, what a top notch guy and what knowledge he possesses in this hobby.

Now I will state for the record I went to SGC to have cards graded after I cracked from a PSA holder. Unfortunately for me I did not receive higher grades and in one case I received a lower grade than PSA gave the card.
I can guarantee that SGC grades cards much more conservatively than PSA, but leaves me scratching my head as to why PSA is always getting 30% more for sale grade.

This just isn't fair. I'd take an SGC card any day.
Agreed. Unfortunately it is like this with everything in life. Marketing and Branding make up for most of that bump you see.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I just hope it continues as long as I'm buying SGC graded vintage.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default Sgc

I agree, marketing is key and PSA is the 800 pound gorilla.
But I guarantee you PSA does not give the service SGC does.
I just think it's such a shame that this hobby holds PSA to a pedestal and their cards get more money. It makes no sense at all to me.

I may do a study and crack 10 Psa cards and send to SGC

then send 10 SGC cards and send to PSA

I'm willing to take action on the fact that SGC comes out more conservative.

Last edited by aloondilana; 04-27-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Ben

I like the SGC holder... the black background really makes most cards "pop"
Old 04-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
I agree, marketing is key and PSA is the 800 pound gorilla.
But I guarantee you PSA does not give the service SGC does.
I just think it's such a shame that this hobby thinks of PSA cards get more money. It makes no sense at all to me.

I may do a study and crack 10 Psa cards and send to SGC

then send 10 SGC cards and send to PSA

I'm willing to take action on the fact that SGC comes out more conservative.

That would be great. I personally find I have more luck with SGC. PSA has been crippling me lately.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

Default Sgc

I realize the registry is monsterous for PSA. But damn, is it that much that it is the reason they get 30-40% more?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Dan Bretta

The PSA set registry is the main reason their cards go higher. That's where the major competitors in the slab number game have assembled to compete for the "best" sets.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Richard L.

The answer to the question is the REGISTRY period!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

I do agree it's the registry 100%
But outside registry, when the actual grading is concerned, why not just buy SGC cards and just have them crossed to make an easy 30%?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Pete Costanzo

I dont see any difference in price on high end prewar or most prewar between SGC vs PSA, only on postwar due to the registry. I prefer SGC personally, but both are top notch. The floating card inside of a PSA holder is my biggest hobby pet peeve.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 PM
Jay Cee

Agreed it's the REGISTRY which makes PSA holders treated like a commodity. Thus the term buy the card, and not the holder is coined. Recently I met a die hard PSA member. He was explaining to me about their different membership levels and what you get for each level. Most Every time he gets a card in a non PSA holder or he gets a grade he feels isn't fair, he cracks it out and he resubmits it.

I asked him how many times he has done this. He said it's in the thousands and I asked him how many he did this month and he said around 200. He went on to explain how PSA used to be real easy to crack, but they have improved their holders now which makes him use his band saw in the basement. SGC are simple to crack as two quick pops on each top corner normally does the trick.

The population numbers within a couple of years will almost be impossible to trust, if not even now.

As a collector, I still have tons of cards I bought back in the 90s and early 2000s which are raw. This was before TPGs even had a holder big enough to grade larger cards like Postcards and Cabinets. If/when I decide to sell, I will most likely use whatever TPG has the best reputation and give me a chance to fetch the best final price.

Right now PSA is king of the TPGs. We are paying for their "opinion" on the grade of cardboard they say it is. It doesn't matter if SGC has better holders, better graders, a better owner, etc.... I would love to see SGC become the new industry Giant for grading. To do this they would have to have PSA self destruct which I don't see happening and SGC would really have to come up with an innovative registry system which would become the new norm.

(Hi John glad to see you posting)

Last edited by BeanTown; 04-27-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:23 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
I do agree it's the registry 100%
But outside registry, when the actual grading is concerned, why not just buy SGC cards and just have them crossed to make an easy 30%?

The cards just dont cross over that easily plus grading fees. If I buy a SGC 7 card, i want to pay a PSA 6- 6.5 price so i am prepared to get a PSA 6 if i cross it over but that doesnt save me 30% when i go a resell that PSA 6 card that once was a SGC7. Yes you never know what the grade will be on the crossover but its a gamble that would eat up that 30% in the long run if you are just worried about making an easy 30%

With that being said, i do think that more people prefer and pay more for SGC card ratio wise in the net54 community than the general population ratio on ebay...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-28-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Jay Cee

One common thought I hear from people who flip cards from SGC to PSA is to break it out ahead of time. If PSA knows they are regrading an SGC card it gets hammered about 95 percent of the time.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM

People who are buying PSA cards are either set builders or are just flat out sheep who don't realize their overpaying for lesser standards of grading.

The reason they draw a premium is for several reasons, none of which matter to me as long as the grade is accurate, standards are high, and consistency is there:

1. Publicly traded company on NASDAQ so more transparency in what the companies operations are. (Beckett and SGC are not)

2. American owned. (Beckett is not. SGC is as far as I know).

3. Coin Grading. (Shouldn't have anything to do with cards and their values, but apparently to some people it does.)

4. Set Registry. (Again, shouldn't matter unless you're a baseball card nerd, but apparently it does.)

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoz View Post
I dont see any difference in price on high end prewar or most prewar between SGC vs PSA, only on postwar due to the registry. I prefer SGC personally, but both are top notch. The floating card inside of a PSA holder is my biggest hobby pet peeve.
Pretty dramatic post war example.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/1948-leaf-...lotPosition=18

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...-mhcc-auction/

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-28-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Four or five years ago I read posts here that basically said value wise they were about the same, only that SGC presented better.
Now from what I'm reading here and seeing on eBay is that PSA 206's are more costly.
I'm happy with the SGC's that I have. Oh, except for the 1958 Hires SGC 96 that I have. He holder is too big and scratched up. It would be nice to cross that one over.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:03 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnichols View Post
2. American owned. (Beckett is not. SGC is as far as I know).
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...sa-slab-5.html
Post #118 says that BGS is owned by an American citizen who lives in North Carolina. I know you read that thread because you got banned because of it. Why continue to spread rumors on a different message board?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...sa-slab-5.html
Post #118 says that BGS is owned by an American citizen who lives in North Carolina. I know you read that thread because you got banned because of it. Why continue to spread rumors on a different message board?
This guy is making the calls as CEO and he's not in America:

https://in.linkedin.com/in/sandeepdua

He's part of Eli Global which owns Beckett Media. While the owner of Eli Global may own a residence in North Carolina and it may be based there to a degree, that doesn't make it an American company to the people voting with their dollars. Right or wrong, that guy being the CEO, running it the way they have, and it being private are big problems for people trust-wise.

He's also put their customer service 1/2 way across the world and has really tied the hands of those who work there. You cannot directly call someone at Beckett HQ and check on your order unless you know someone there and have their work extension, cell-phone #, or internal E-Mail address. You've got to speak to some jack-wagon over in India or the Philippines who you can't even understand or even really truly knows what's going on. That is also a HUGE problem for people, especially given the recent issues they've had. People are already super-pissed and don't want to have to run through those hoops.

Beckett Media is just a pawn for Eli Global to fund other businesses they have in their portfolio so they honestly don't really care about the hobby as a whole and that's the sad part. They could really turn things around with a few changes and better customer service.

In regards to Blowout, you can read the thread yourself and see what happened. You've got a mob-mentality there that's not interested in the truth. I saw a ton of people on there pissed about their orders and tried to help them get some answers directly instead of speaking to some guy named "Gupta" in India or wherever the hell else they may be. Not sweating it because it's obvious what kind of people are on there and how they handle facts vs. lies.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 09-11-2021, 07:29 AM
Peter Nordquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Agreed it's the REGISTRY which makes PSA holders treated like a commodity. Thus the term buy the card, and not the holder is coined. Recently I met a die hard PSA member. He was explaining to me about their different membership levels and what you get for each level. Most Every time he gets a card in a non PSA holder or he gets a grade he feels isn't fair, he cracks it out and he resubmits it.

I asked him how many times he has done this. He said it's in the thousands and I asked him how many he did this month and he said around 200. He went on to explain how PSA used to be real easy to crack, but they have improved their holders now which makes him use his band saw in the basement. SGC are simple to crack as two quick pops on each top corner normally does the trick.

The population numbers within a couple of years will almost be impossible to trust, if not even now.

As a collector, I still have tons of cards I bought back in the 90s and early 2000s which are raw. This was before TPGs even had a holder big enough to grade larger cards like Postcards and Cabinets. If/when I decide to sell, I will most likely use whatever TPG has the best reputation and give me a chance to fetch the best final price.

Right now PSA is king of the TPGs. We are paying for their "opinion" on the grade of cardboard they say it is. It doesn't matter if SGC has better holders, better graders, a better owner, etc.... I would love to see SGC become the new industry Giant for grading. To do this they would have to have PSA self destruct which I don't see happening and SGC would really have to come up with an innovative registry system which would become the new norm.

(Hi John glad to see you posting)

Found this old thread somehow…unfortunately PSA self destructed and cards in their cases still bring the extra 30%. I really don’t understand what it will take for sgc to surpass them (or Beckett) but I sure wish they would! Let’s all exclusively buy SGC cards on ebay and shift this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2021, 07:44 AM
octavio ranzola

As long as there no csg holders horrible cant give them away garbage
Old 09-11-2021, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjere View Post
Found this old thread somehow…unfortunately PSA self destructed and cards in their cases still bring the extra 30%. I really don’t understand what it will take for sgc to surpass them (or Beckett) but I sure wish they would! Let’s all exclusively buy SGC cards on ebay and shift this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't trust SGC any longer after several really bad idiotic decisions and each one they were proven wrong. I used to respect them but now I think they have their heads up their ass on many issues. And their owner has a great legacy. Last national I went to I asked where he was. They said he was grading cards. Fox watching the henhouse....I hope another grading company evolves as the ones we have aren't worth crap.

Last edited by Leon; 09-11-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:54 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't trust SGC any longer after several really bad idiotic decisions and each one they were proven wrong. I used to respect them but now I think they have their heads up their ass on many issues. And their owner has a great legacy. Last national I went to I asked where he was. They said he was grading cards. Fox watching the henhouse....I hope another grading company evolves as the ones we have aren't worth crap.

I don't think anyone besides beckett will grade fro joys these days. While I agree it's lame noone grades these...I certainly dont see this as a strike against SGC any more than it is against PSA.

And yes...the options we currently have are shit! Don't hold your breath for that to change.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I don't think anyone besides beckett will grade fro joys these days. While I agree it's lame noone grades these...I certainly dont see this as a strike against SGC any more than it is against PSA.

And yes...the options we currently have are shit! Don't hold your breath for that to change.
They wouldn't grade my Yum Yum and it was perfectly good. They missed a really bad E94 overprint..They wouldn't grade my Babe Ruth Headin Home cards and the list goes on. I used to think they were good.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:12 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
They wouldn't grade my Yum Yum and it was perfectly good. They missed a really bad E94 overprint..They wouldn't grade my Babe Ruth Headin Home cards and the list goes on. I used to think they were good.

Wow.

That sucks and our options shrink as we think they would expand with competition

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

1) The people driving the markets are not collectors. PSA cards are a deeper and more active market, so it is self-affirming feedback loop.

2) the registry. this really matters.

3) the general population of card buyers is not well-educated. Not a lot of research/effort is done. How many people understand that the grading scales have changed? not many. People pay the price of today's "4s" for any slab with a "4" on it not realizing the card would grade a 3 and maybe a 2 today. I see it everyday.

but yes. from a pure grading / quality standpoint there is no difference between PSA and SGC. I don't think any other grader is their league.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 09-11-2021, 08:34 AM
pete ullman

Quote:

Eewwww!! I wouldnt grade your yum yum either!
Old 09-11-2021, 08:44 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
As long as there no csg holders horrible cant give them away garbage
I'm kind of shocked on Twitter some of the grading companies that get mentioned that I've never heard of. I'm glad someone is throwing them a bone to create a base user population, but I don't think I'd send them my cards. I saw a new one yesterday, and another one last week. When I see companies not-big-3 on ebay, and sellers asking prices, I think "is this a joke?" As another person stated within this thread, a lot of uneducated newbies in this hobby.

However, at least one of the companies is trying to use AI for grading and not people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-11-2021, 08:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Eewwww!! I wouldnt grade your yum yum either!
LOL....then you are as smart as them. Two of the three grading companies graded it correctly. SGC first said it was counterfeit, then they gave it a NO....Such is life. It was real as the day is long. And whomever paid over 7k for it probably thought so too.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:24 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

Hey Leon, here's a 1928 newspaper Ad I came across. From what I understand
the Ruth Fro-Joy's were distributed from August 6-11 in 1928 this ad ran just after
that on august 30 1928.

img839.jpg

img839 - Copy.jpg

img839 - Copy (2).jpg
Old 09-11-2021, 11:15 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I’m a baseball card collector; not an investor or flipper. My intended holding period is my life, so I never sell a card unless I upgrade it. I prefer SGC over PSA - grading, value (when purchasing a card), the flip, and overall presentation.

As a collector, I love that SGC cards are cheaper. It allows me to obtain more cards and/or higher graded cards with my collecting budget. For selfish reasons, I hope SGC never reaches par with PSA. I’ll gladly pay a discounted price for an SGC 5 v. a PSA 5 - all things considered, e.g. same centering, eye appeal, etc.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:22 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
LOL....then you are as smart as them. Two of the three grading companies graded it correctly. SGC first said it was counterfeit, then they gave it a NO....Such is life. It was real as the day is long. And whomever paid over 7k for it probably thought so too.

Leon, I just picked up in the last LOTG auction a beautiful SGC5 Yum Yum and if this was the one you are referring to, then I think it is real, too.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:35 PM
Howard Chasser

Default This and.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
1) The people driving the markets are not collectors. PSA cards are a deeper and more active market, so it is self-affirming feedback loop.

2) the registry. this really matters.

3) the general population of card buyers is not well-educated. Not a lot of research/effort is done. How many people understand that the grading scales have changed? not many. People pay the price of today's "4s" for any slab with a "4" on it not realizing the card would grade a 3 and maybe a 2 today. I see it everyday.

but yes. from a pure grading / quality standpoint there is no difference between PSA and SGC. I don't think any other grader is their league.

I 100% agree with all of the above and as previously stated and often goes overlooked - PSA (love them or hate them) does an INCREDIBLE branding/marketing job! They tell everyone in every ad they publish (and they publish WAY more than SGC) that they are the market leader - See it enough times and......there was a time when if people needed a tissue they asked for a "Kleenex"! Kleenex was the brand that became synonymous with the product as a result of incredible branding/marketing. PSA has taken a page out of their playbook.

SGC has a real opportunity with the current PSA backlog situation as a LOT more cards are getting sold in major auctions in SGC holders. More people will have an opportunity to see the on par quality of grading (for better AND worse) between both companies.

Great opportunity for other players as well, but from what I've seen so far, none that are stepping up with the quality they need to.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:27 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

PSA passes out grades for profit. SGC grades on a different level. Way tougher than PSA. I crossed 7 PSA to SGC with a min grade. Four came back no Sabe'.
SGC is actually the best grader in the hobby but everybody wants the barroom slut (PSA) that gives easy action.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-12-2021, 06:32 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Default PSA - This is what really frosts my nookies

Recently back after 1 year at PSA -

Can you guess the grades?

Neither card has any creases or wrinkles - even under loupe

015 Pendleton FRT_BAK

020 Carey FRT_BAK

You got 2 numbers in your head? Then go ahead and scroll -

020 PSA 3.5 Carey Obverse

015 PSA 8 Pendleton Obverse

Sent both of these in looking for 6 EXMT on them - So how in the hell do either of these happen?
Old 09-13-2021, 03:47 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Recently back after 1 year at PSA -

Can you guess the grades?

Sent both of these in looking for 6 EXMT on them - So how in the hell do either of these happen?
I was going to guess 4.5 & 7, but I'm looking at them on my cell phone. Seems at least ballpark to me.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

Old 09-13-2021, 11:52 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That is awesome on so many levels.