NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default Minimum T206 size

Posted By: Joann

Where can I look up the minimum size of T206's (or any other card for that matter)? I always see in descriptions that a card is X/Y" short, but short of what? I don't know how much natural variation there was in card size.

And to avoid hijacking a similar thread about the fit of E90-1's in grading holders, I'll post this here. Would this make anyone nervous? If the graders design slabs for maximum size, does that mean there was truly this much variation in the T/B sizes of T206's?

(This is not trying to bash the graders - I've seen cards that underfit holders from each of the Big 3 graders. I'm just wondering if there is a point at which the obvious gaps between the card size and holder size start to raise questions about the card.)

Thanks,

Joann

Old 11-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Joann,

SGC and GAI use custom inserts. The inserts can be cut to fit the card. PSA seems to have a few different size holders. The one pictured in your post is what I figure is a PSA T206 holder. My guess is that PSA, in their short sightedness, designed the holder expecting all T206 cards to fit into the holder. I thnk PSA used the larger size holders when encapsulating larger than normal T206 cards or if they happened to run out of the standard T206 card holders. Rather than wait for a new shipment of holders they stuffed the T206 cards into those "card condoms" to keep them from slipping around.

I couldn't imagine PSA stuffing an E90-1 card into one of those T206 holders because the E90-1 cards are a little larger than the T206 cards.

I could be wrong but that's my guess on the holders.

Getting back to minimum T206 card sizes my hypothesis is that it depends upon the submitter of the card. If your last name happened to be Harris then PSA was farily liberal as to the size of the card. If you happen to be Joe (or Joann) collector then the size requirement would probably be tighter.

Overall, as you are probably aware, there are different sizes for different brands of T206 cards. ABs are a good example of this.

1-7/16 x 2-5/8 is the published/accepted standard for T206 sizing, but we pretty much know that this can vary.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I have several T206 cards in PSA holders that look like the one shown. In fact, this is one reason I prefer SGC and GAI in general--the custom fit prevents cards from sliding around. Over time, there is no doubt in my mind this sliding damages the card. Why PSA continues to do things this way, I haven't a clue.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Somebodys got to be stupid enuff to state the obvious, but in case anyone out there is even more stoopid than me, one resource for the size of cards is any price guide.

Where can I look up the minimum size of T206's (or any other card for that matter)?

Well the guides don't really give you the "minimum" but they give you a .... you guessed it ... a guide.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Not to hijack but Ive heard that a lot of people think the Harris collection was overgraded by PSA even giving trimmed cards grades without qualifier. Isn't PSA supposed to keep all information pertaining to ownership private and kept from the graders? If they informed the graders that they were grading the "Harris collection" before grading the cards then all of these grades are tainted. I wouldn't touch them. I know it's a rare circumstance when a holder is allowed to be branded with a collectors name but if they allow it the graders should never know of it until the process of grading is finished. Does anyone know if graders are informed when they are grading a "prestegious" collection beforehand?

Old 11-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Joann- there are also many T206 that originate from shoebox collections that were miscut in the factory and unfortunately can not be graded. They have not been tampered with, they are just poorly manufactured cards.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mvsnyc

barry is correct guys...a lot of the cards were not cut perfectly, old school printing/cutting methods...many of you are forever bashing the grading companies, but the graders do NOT know who's cards they are grading!

Old 11-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I guess I still don't quite know the answer to my question - if someone says a card is 1/16" short, does that mean short to the published standard dimensions? If published dimensions are "normal", then I'd expect lots and lots and lots of cards to be "short" because of the inherent manufacturing variation mentioned above.

I thought maybe there was a minimum T/B and a minimum S/S that was known or published somewhere. Sometimes PSA will return cards for "minimum size", so I thought there might be a standard somewhere.

And somehow, I did manage to be smart enough to check price guides and Lew's Encyclopedia looking for minima. Not sure how that happened - must have been a good day.

Joann

Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Joann,

Here's measured data from a set of about 500 Piedmont T206's. This is basically a histogram in numeric form. This has been posted before.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1090717955/last-1090718359/T206+sizes

Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

The above link with caliper measurements is very interesting. If we go one step further, an standard measurement of the black boder can be done. Then we get a ratio of the card width and length to the border width and length.

At that point, wouldn't it be easy to measure a good scan of any card to see what the ratio, and consequently the complete card size is.

Then any famous card can be measured from a scan to determine trimming, if you know what I mean.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Dylan,
The entire Harris collection was re-holdered and re-labled as "Harris Collection" when is was prepared to be auctioned in 1999.
JimB

Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Eric B: I have no idea what you mean. I wonder - am I alone in failing to understand this?

Old 11-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Eric,

I understand exactly what you mean.

The assumption (which I think is good) is that the black frame around a picture is a known distance. I don't know what this is but I do think it is a constant value.

By measuring this on a picture of a card, you could measure both the total width or height and the associated frame size. Since the frame is known, you can calculate the card size.

I've tried this a few times with limited results. The problem is that the resolution usually isn't good enough to accurately measure the frame and extend this to the card itself.

Another problem with this is if the scan isn't 100% flat. Often, especially with a camera (rather than a scanner) the card isn't really parallel, and the frame isn't the same width or height across the card. In theory, this is OK, as the ratio of card to frame is constant and can still be applied, but it is difficult.

If someone would like to try this as an experiment, I'll supply high res scans of cards, along with the accurate width and height measurements.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I assume the black border is always the same for all T206's, regardless of the outside cut. If, for example, the width of the inside black border is always 1.20 inches compared to the average card size of 1.40 inches, then we know a T206 should always have roughly a 120 to 140 ratio.

Then a scan of a famous card, the McNall Gretsky Wagner comes to mind, can be measured on a PC. Just pull it up, see how many units (whatever photo program you use) wide the black border is and compare it to the full card.

So if you measure the black border to be 360 units, and the whole card to be 400 units, you can figure out the card width is 1.33 inches...definitely trimmed.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

This is precisely what I thought that you meant, however, I dismissed that understanding because I fail to see how it can be applied to the t206 situation in which the t/b natural variation has been demonstrated to be greater than an eighth of an inch.

Well that, and a belief that relying on mathematics to establish trimming is wishful thinking, imho.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

According to the above link, only 3 out of 524 were less than 1.42 inches. It seems that any card under 1.42 inches is either trimmed or substandard to be graded at all.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

If you owned those three "substandard" but entirely legitimate cards, and they were important - would you be happy with the determination that they do not fit a mathematical model of the average card, and therefore you are sol?

Edited to add: I did not use those three cards in my computation of t/b variance.

Further edited - I also did not use the outliers at the other end of the size range.

I don't have a lot of t206s, so I really can not be sure what the typical border area of these cards is. But in looking at two, I see less than one eighth inch all around.
If the t/b variance is 1/8" then that variance has a tremendous potential for impact on any border area calculation. And although the side to side differences are less pronounced, they are still a significant percentage of the potential total area.

So, I am unsure of this approach for application to cards which exhibit as high a border area difference between cards as has been shown for this set.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Administrator

I'm just saying that this method could be used to measure a card. It does nothing more. But is another piece to a puzzle. And yes, I do think there should be a standard minimum that must be maintained. We consider a badly OC card to be substandard, why not a badly undercut one as well.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Total border area computation is an interesting concept. Id like to see how it works out.

And regarding minimum cut off points, it really doesn't matter what I think. The grading companies are using them. And Im not sure that we know exactly what these points are.
Id like to see how these points match the size study posted above.

Didn't Joann ask something like this ... long, long ago?

Old 11-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Administrator

lolol Gil - you're right, I asked something like this long long ago on 11/17.

I kind of like the idea of measuring the image portion and establishing some guideline for overall size so you can estimate from a scan. Maybe I'll try that sometime way down the road when I have time.

But now I'm even more confused. To me, when a seller says that a card is "short" I kind of assume they are announcing it may be trimmed. If there is 1/8" variation T/B on T206's, what are people announcing something is short to? And if there isn't anything, why are they saying a card is short (casting some aspersions on it) when there isn't a real standard for determining what's short and what isn't?

So does all of this add up to not being able to use boarder size (and T/B in particular) as an indication of trimming? Just use other indicators like waviness, bat-ears, etc?

Joann

Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You see kiddies, this is the life which you are destined to live, the constant suspicion directed at the cards which you love. And the accusations: do you see where the pencil was erased? Is that red marker in the background field? Has this been soaked and stretched? Trimmed? Pressed? Unless you listen to Good Old Uncle Gilbert and insist on purchasing nothing but the best: low grade cards.

You see with genuine low grade cards, none of these "problems" exist; well, in part because these things are not problems. And what's even better, low grade cards are so inexpensive that you can save enough money putting the Monster together that you may actually be able to afford one or more of the big 3, 4, 5, 6 - whatever you consider big.

So be wise, enjoy the hobby, and buy beaters!

Old 11-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

I tried using the border size to determine the card size. I used Bender, pitching, trees in background as my reference card. I was also using scans done at 2x, 200 dpi, which is about 500 kB per picture (very high resolution). I did this on my computer screen with an engraved steel engineering ruler, so the measurements are good but lucky to be within .02 inches.

Using this I came up with nominal size of the border as 1.261 by 2.401 inches. I then used this as a yardstick against Tris Speaker, and came up with a card size of 1.422 x 2.615. The actual size of this card is 1.437 x 2.630. So, I was off by about 0.015 in each dimension, low in each case.

I actually think this is good given that there are 4 measurments involved in each computation, and each could have been off this much.

I wouldn't use the border values here as the gospel; to do this right needs optical magnificaion on real cards and a more accurate ruler, like the calipers. And, multiple cards to validate unformity. But, I think shows it is possible to use.

Trying this on low res scans really would be useless.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

I got this pic from wikipedia.