NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Default Alright... Frank Chance

Who are the few that have a Frank Chance autograph or have owned one in the past? I know they are incredibly expensive, but would like to hear what signatures are out there and on what mediums?

Are they mostly cuts? Are there 3x5's out there of him? Album Pages? Contracts? I know with these expensive ones, people like to lay low, but would greatly appreciate knowing what is out there on Mr. Chance. Feel free to post one if you have it.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Wayne Walker

I have only seen two come up for auction in the past few years. There was a baseball in the last REA auction, but it was traced over, and appears to not have sold?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2013/935.html

And there is a t206 card laminated and slabbed by JSA.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=716&lotIdNo=61001

I have probably missed several and, like you, would love to see any and all examples that people can show or provide links to.

As with any auto this rare, the authenticity of these items is quite hard to determine.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I heard rumors that the Chance T206 may not be legit...
Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I heard rumors that the Chance T206 may not be legit...
Yes, that is why I added my caveat at the end there. I don't know either way, and it is tough to authenticate such rare autos.

There was actually a thread about it here previously.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=116042

Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM

Default JimStinson

With regards to authentic Frank Chance autographs , I have personally only purchased and sold TWO in nearly 35 years ! One was a multi signed banquet program and the other a document , they were sold SO long ago that I don't even have copies of them left on hand.

By all means AVOID CUTS !!!! unless they have rock solid provenance. Have seen dozens of bad ones over the years. There were some very nice Frank Chance letters that sold probably 12 years ago but even then sold for more than several thousand dollars each

Keep in mind , he's a VERY rare Hall of Fame member in extremely high demand who died in 1924 ...Almost 90 years ago ! So will be VERY tough to find and VERY expensive. So much so that if you handed me a blank check and told me "Find one , Sky is the limit" it could be months if not years before I could accomplish the task.

Jim Stinson always Buying Baseball Autographs
stinsonsports.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chance.jpg (22.1 KB, 367 views)
Old 07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Wayne Walker

Jim, was this by chance the banquet program that you handled?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2008/1126.html

And here is one sweet letter. 10K seems about right to me.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...Letter-Display

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 07-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Jim, was this by chance the banquet program that you handled?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2008/1126.html

And here is one sweet letter. 10K seems about right to me.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...Letter-Display
No the banquet program I sold was not that one , the one I sold had some type of local or minor league affiliation and was for a dinner in his honor It was only signed by about a dozen attendees including Chance. The letters I was referring to that I remember being sold were ALS not TLS

Jim Stinson always Buying Baseball Autographs
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 PM

I am new to the forum but truly enjoy the stories, postings and interesting thoughts from some VERY knowledgable people! I collect vintage Cubs autographs on various mediums (mostly flats) as well as Cubs t-cards, photos and random memorabilia (the older and more unique the better). Anyhow, I have a Chance postcard written and signed "Frank" with a photo of him after a bird hunt. Can post pic if interested. Anyone with some Cubs items/autos that are particularly unique or rare? Thx! My name is Kit and I grew up going to games at Wrigley in the 70s.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwoodjr View Post
I am new to the forum but truly enjoy the stories, postings and interesting thoughts from some VERY knowledgable people! I collect vintage Cubs autographs on various mediums (mostly flats) as well as Cubs t-cards, photos and random memorabilia (the older and more unique the better). Anyhow, I have a Chance postcard written and signed "Frank" with a photo of him after a bird hunt. Can post pic if interested. Anyone with some Cubs items/autos that are particularly unique or rare? Thx! My name is Kit and I grew up going to games at Wrigley in the 70s.
Welcome, and would love to see your postcard!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Richard Simon

Welcome Kit, how have you been?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Howdy Kit, and welcome aboard !!! There is a treasure trove of extremely knowledgeable collectors that cruise this forum that will certainly enrich your hobby experience !

Just watch out for the BLUE MEANIES and don't drink the "Cool Aid" and you'll be alright....

I BUY BASEBALL AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meanies.jpg (14.3 KB, 264 views)
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Thanks Jim! I'll be very careful and tread lightly!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Max Weder

Alas, not mine

Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Alas, not mine

Max !!!! Wow !!! Magnificent ! What was in the REST of the book ?

BUYING BASEBALL AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Alas, not mine

Wow. Anyone want to provide an auction estimate?

And I'll second Jim's question.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Max Weder

And I'll provide an auction estimate of $24,885, including buyer's premium :-)

Max
Old 07-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Default JimStinson

That's the first time I've ever seen that book , probably because I don't bid in auctions , Makes me wish I did as it sold way too low IMHO even with the "buyers premium" and by 2009 standards. Nice Snag ! Whoever you are

stinsonsports.com
Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Hey Richard! Things are fine - been busy as usual - I hope you are well also! Matt, I will try to scan photo of postcard - we'll see if I am intelligent enough to figure out how to post! Odds are 50/50. Matt - do u collect cubs or HOFers or ??? Thx guys
Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Hey Richard! Things are fine - been busy as usual - I hope you are well also! Matt, I will try to scan photo of postcard - we'll see if I am intelligent enough to figure out how to post! Odds are 50/50. Matt - do u collect cubs or HOFers or ??? Thx guys
Hi Kit - One of my many projects is Yankees Captains and there has been back-and-forth whether or not Frank Chance ever served as a Yankees captain in 1913. If I ever had the opportunity to buy one that fits the rest of my project, I would seriously consider getting it just to cover my bases, so to speak.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Matt - cool project - I think Chance was the skipper of the Yankees in 1913- April 1914 but not sure. I will forward a "mediocre" picture of my postcard but I could work on better scan. Let me see if I can post successfully - tell me if u can see. Btw, plug for Jim Stinson and Richard Simon who I feel do a GREAT job helping novice collectors like myself - great job gentlemen! On the Touching Second book, all I can say is "wow!" Very cool - I'd love to get my hands on that piece!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Don't think my scan posted (?) - sorry - need to try again but having trouble
Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Trying again
Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Max Weder

The book has incredibly beautiful signatures for the most part, except for Floyd Kroh (at the bottom of one of the pages). I hadn't heard of him, and looking at his shakey signature, I expected him to be an old-timer, say a coach in his 70s.

Baseball-reference shows him as a 24 year old in 1910 Rube Kroh
Old 07-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Default JimStinson

Kroh's autograph DOES look pretty shaky in the book.

Maybe it was because baseball was a rough & tumble sport back in those days with many players unable to read and write or sign their names. Ball players were recruited from the coal mines and factories, Literacy overall in 1909-10 was not what it is today. In 1910 only 72% of children attended school and many never made it past the 4th or 5th grade. Just a guess.

Or maybe on his way to meet President Taft that day he had one too many Whiskey soda's ...

stinsonsports.com
Old 07-24-2013, 08:41 PM

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Ite...72040a_lg.jpeg
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Ite...72040b_lg.jpeg

Please tell me if this works - i did not buy from this particular auction but i found the item that i now own (for viewing purposes)

If this does not work, then i apologize, and respectfully ask a patient person to help explain how i paste a copy of the photo of the postcard that i took from my I-phone.

thanks

I still love the book and will see if i can find a picture of the banquet program i was looking for:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Ite...33033c_lg.jpeg
Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Max Weder

Posted for you
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Thank you! The banquet program link has some neat signatures (many overlapping the Evers-for-Taft book in the thread. Great items! Wish they were for sale! Any other vintage cubs collectors or am I the only one crazy enough to go down this road?!! Thx
Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 AM

That postcard is awesome!