NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Tim Odeen

Default Leland's LOA Credibility?

I just bought a signed Tris Speaker magazine pic from Leland's ebay auctions. It only had Leland's LOA and no TPA opinion. It was part of a larger estate that was being sold. I have received a couple opinions as to whether to seek a TPA opinion: some say Leland's is legit and not to worry, and another opinion was it was funny an auction house would authenticate an item it had a personal stake in ($) and that I should get a second opinion. What is the general opinion of this body of bloggers?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I would trust them more than the Tpa's.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Their LOA is considered as reputable in the hobby as anyone's. You can do what you want, but I don't see a need to pay the fees and send it to a TPA. If you want second opinions, post a photo of the signature here.

I don't see what's wrong with an auction house issuing its own LOA. Unless the LOA is wrong.

Last edited by drcy; 07-17-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They are an advertiser and Josh is a pretty good hobby friend, so take that into account. But I have always heard from most hobbyists that they do a very good job on authenticating autos, photos etc......
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm not an autograph expert and don't pretend to be one, but, across the wide scape of collectibles, is one of the most reliable authenticity-wise auction houses out there.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I would trust them more than the Tpa's.
I second this.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Default JimStinson

Nothing personal to be gained or lost here as I don't know him and have only spoken a couple times but most hobby veterans (including myself) will tell you that Leland's Mike Heffner is one of the best in the biz regarding autographs.

BUYING baseball autographs
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Tim Odeen

I bought the autograph without a TPA on Leland's reputation as a knowledgeable auction house. I just didn't know for resale if it would be an issue (but I don't plan on reselling it - I'm just a collector). I also don't have questions about the signature because as far as I can tell it looks as genuine as any signature already authenticated on ebay. I just like having the peace of mind when showing off my collection as to say that my autos are authentic.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I bought the autograph without a TPA on Leland's reputation as a knowledgeable auction house. I just didn't know for resale if it would be an issue (but I don't plan on reselling it - I'm just a collector). I also don't have questions about the signature because as far as I can tell it looks as genuine as any signature already authenticated on ebay. I just like having the peace of mind when showing off my collection as to say that my autos are authentic.
There is no "Magic Wand" when it comes to authenticating autographs , its like this , EYEBALLS + EXPERIENCE +REPUTATION = THE RESULT

BUYING BASEBALL AUTORAPHS
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I'm willing to bet most on here will not see an item in your collection and feel it's real because it has a letter from PSA or JSA.

Ken
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Default JimStinson

Let me try and paint a different picture for you...and this relates to ALL REPUTABLE AUTOGRAPH SELLERS , who put YEARS of experience and their reputations on the line every time they sell an autograph....

Now imagine for a second that Gordon Ramsey or Wolfgang Puck or ANY famous chef has just prepared for you his "signature dish" , and before you take a bite you take the plate and run over to "Moe's diner" and ask Moe if in his opinion your "Chicken Francese" was cooked properly, Moe looks the dish over and says "Give me a hundred bucks and I'll tell ya"...

BUYING BASEBALL AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Let me try and paint a different picture for you...and this relates to ALL REPUTABLE AUTOGRAPH SELLERS , who put YEARS of experience and their reputations on the line every time they sell an autograph....

Now imagine for a second that Gordon Ramsey or Wolfgang Puck or ANY famous chef has just prepared for you his "signature dish" , and before you take a bite you take the plate and run over to "Moe's diner" and ask Moe if in his opinion your "Chicken Francese" was cooked properly, Moe looks the dish over and says "Give me a hundred bucks and I'll tell ya"...

stinsonsports.com
All depends, does Moe wear a bow tie?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Returning to the OP, I'd say it really depends on what you plan to do with the item. If you want it encapsulated in a TPA holder, obviously you will need to submit it. If you are happy with it outside a holder, no need to spend the $ on a TPA opinion. Whether the opinion of the TPA is "better" than the opinion of Lelands is speculative at best since it depends on the item, the purpose of the opinion, and the target audience. If you are going to flip the item via Ebay you may need a TPA cert to do it. Personally, I am comfortable with a legitimate AH or seller COA. I have signed items with Hakes COAs on them and Topps Vault COAs on them, and I am perfectly content with them. It is all just opinion; none of it changes the item itself. TPAs are wrong from time to time, as are any other experts giving opinions, so it really boils down to your comfort level. Lelands is reputable and certainly appears to be around for the long haul, so if the Lelands COA is unequivocal and can be passed on to a third party, I see no reason to get a TPA involved unless you want to.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Lelands has a reputation for honesty and standing behind what they sell. TPAs have a reputation for marketing....and that is all.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I'm willing to bet most on here will not see an item in your collection and feel it's real because it has a letter from PSA or JSA.

Ken

I would agree, but times are changing. I read the blogs about botched TPA opinions and sometimes you just don't know. But JSA and PSA does help the re-sale value. One of my local respected card shops who offered his LOA is no longer around and someone in Florida would have no idea who he is. PSA is nationwide.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

lelands is nationwide./nationally known too.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It is all just opinion; none of it changes the item itself. TPAs are wrong from time to time, as are any other experts giving opinions, so it really boils down to your comfort level.
YES! Beautifully stated.

People who only deal in black-and-white truths probably should have a hobby other than autograph collecting.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Lelands has a reputation for honesty and standing behind what they sell. TPAs have a reputation for marketing....and that is all.
+1
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post

stinsonsports.com

+1
+1
I love this post .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-18-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The chef thing is amusing but not a good analogy for Lelands position relative to the TPAs. Unlike authenticating a signature, the customer doesn't have to worry about disclaimers limiting the chef's responsibility for his food. Much as I appreciate that Lelands has expertise and is willing to do more than obtain the execrable PSA/DNA or JSA "auction" LOAs that other companies use, I don't get the warm fuzzies that I would hope for from Leland's authenticity policy:

"Lelands stands by the authenticity of everything it sells for a period of three years from the date of the auction. It is up to the client to verify authenticity within that period of time. However, Lelands and its agents will be the final determinant of the authenticity of each and every piece it sells. We are not bound by the opinion of grading services, outside authenticators, or so-called experts. Letters of authenticity are only available for those pieces where " LOA " is listed in the catalogue copy. Otherwise, your invoice and that alone will serve as your letter of authenticity."

As I lawyer I appreciate the weasel wording in it. Basically, it gives me three years to find out if the item is good, but Lelands flatly states that it has to sole right to decide if its original opinion is correct. Mr. Fox, here's the henhouse to guard. I could in theory buy an item that I later find out had to have been forged after the signer died--like a Ty Cobb signed program from Ty Cobb's funeral, to use an absurd example--and Lelands would be within its rights under this policy to tell me to pound sand when I ask for a refund [of course, I could prosecute a case for actual fraud if I could prove that Lelands had knowledge or made a misrepresentation of fact because in general one cannot exculpate oneself from the consequences of one's own fraud, but that is a technical issue for lawyers that isn't really germane to my point]. I appreciate that Lelands has to limit its downside risks on the stuff it sells but those limits do suggest a place for TPAs in the overall scheme of things.

One question I'd pose for the Board is what exactly is an average collector to do if the AH's don't offer unequivocal guarantees and the TPAs are all crappy? Because from where I sit, the only alternative then becomes not to collect at all except for the relatively narrow band of legal documents and modern signed in the presence collectibles that have external indicators of authenticity.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-19-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
The chef thing is amusing but not a good analogy for Lelands position relative to the TPAs. Unlike authenticating a signature, the customer doesn't have to worry about disclaimers limiting the chef's responsibility for his food. Much as I appreciate that Lelands has expertise and is willing to do more than obtain the execrable PSA/DNA or JSA "auction" LOAs that other companies use, I don't get the warm fuzzies that I would hope for from Leland's authenticity policy:

"Lelands stands by the authenticity of everything it sells for a period of three years from the date of the auction. It is up to the client to verify authenticity within that period of time. However, Lelands and its agents will be the final determinant of the authenticity of each and every piece it sells. We are not bound by the opinion of grading services, outside authenticators, or so-called experts. Letters of authenticity are only available for those pieces where " LOA " is listed in the catalogue copy. Otherwise, your invoice and that alone will serve as your letter of authenticity."

As I lawyer I appreciate the weasel wording in it. Basically, it gives me three years to find out if the item is good, but Lelands flatly states that it has to sole right to decide if its original opinion is correct. Mr. Fox, here's the henhouse to guard. I could in theory buy an item that I later find out had to have been forged after the signer died--like a Ty Cobb signed program from Ty Cobb's funeral, to use an absurd example--and Lelands would be within its rights under this policy to tell me to pound sand when I ask for a refund [of course, I could prosecute a case for actual fraud if I could prove that Lelands had knowledge or made a misrepresentation of fact because in general one cannot exculpate oneself from the consequences of one's own fraud, but that is a technical issue for lawyers that isn't really germane to my point]. I appreciate that Lelands has to limit its downside risks on the stuff it sells but those limits do suggest a place for TPAs in the overall scheme of things.

One question I'd pose for the Board is what exactly is an average collector to do if the AH's don't offer unequivocal guarantees and the TPAs are all crappy? Because from where I sit, the only alternative then becomes not to collect at all except for the relatively narrow band of legal documents and modern signed in the presence collectibles that have external indicators of authenticity.
I think the Leland's wording that Adam talks about would make me worry if it was one of many other AH's using that wording. But it all depends on trust and I do trust them. There are many AH's that we talk about and that post here that I would not trust at all, even if they pulled out the King James Bible and took an oath while clinging to it.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 07-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Banned

You fail to realize that lelands could make good on the item after 3 years if it wants to, the wording does not prohibit them from doing so. What it does is allow Leland's to take on each item after 3 years on a case by case basis because all items are different. They are trying to avoid a rigid policy that is the same for all items when all items aren't the same and they want some flexibility in dealing with a return depending on the item, who is claiming in-authenticity and what proof they might have.

But it's their policy and people can bid or not bid based on that.

Even if they didn't have the 3 year limitation, they don't spell out what would constitute 'proof' of a refund anyway, so just like anyone else, they reserve the right to determine authenticity by their own standards during ANY time period after the item is sold, just as they state.

Last edited by travrosty; 07-19-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

That's nearly what my collection is. Very small, many obtained in person by myself or in the case of a few SI hospitality suite cards by my father.

The rest aren't expensive, and nearly all came to me in ways that made me feel very comfortable about their being genuine, or are on items that wouldn't be likely to be faked like a RedSox uniform sign out sheet. I have a few that I could have doubts about, but they weren't worth a forgers time when I bought them. - Why forge something that makes a $5 ball into a $7 ball when there were so many more lucrative names to choose from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
You fail to realize that lelands could make good on the item after 3 years if it wants to, the wording does not prohibit them from doing so. What it does is allow Leland's to take on each item after 3 years on a case by case basis because all items are different. They are trying to avoid a rigid policy that is the same for all items when all items aren't the same and they want some flexibility in dealing with a return depending on the item, who is claiming in-authenticity and what proof they might have.

Even if they didn't have the 3 year limitation, they don't spell out what would constitute 'proof' of a refund anyway, so just like anyone else, they reserve the right to determine authenticity by their own standards during ANY time period after the item is sold, just as they state.
That's a good point.

And how well that works depends on the people involved, usually both customer and dealer.

The bike shop I work for for a while backed up their work for a full year. (When I was basically managing it.) Sure, that meant doing a few minor repairs for people who messed with stuff and got it wrong, then brought it back for a warranty. But most people were good about admitting that, and the honest ones got it covered anyway. One or two who abused it got a tamper evident treatment after 3-4 times. The told to pay up or go somewhere else when caught.

I did however warranty a job I did after about 4 years. The original work had included new tires, and I could tell right away the bike hadn't been ridden more than a couple miles. And I also looked at the problem and my immediate reaction was "What the ____ was I thinking when I did that?" I hate messing up, but the happy reaction when I told them the repair was free even after 4 years made it a bit easier.

Steve B
Old 07-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post

No, I fully realize that, but I am not interested in what someone might do voluntarily if the spirit moves them, I am interested in what they promise to do as part of their contract of sale. If the promise can be enforced for three years then it is a three year promise, not a lifetime guarantee, but if the party warranting the quality of the item is entitled to decide in its absolute discretion whether to accept a timely claim then the warranty is what we lawyers call an illusory promise; sounds good but in reality is: "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Personally, I would rather get a conclusive "not our responsibility" statement like REA makes, because at least it leaves no illusions:

"Robert Edward Auctions, LLC utilizes a third-party authentication process for bats, jerseys, gloves, many cards, and all autographed items. In placing a bid on such items, the encapsulation, documentation and/or letters supporting the opinion of authenticity that are noted in the description are explicitly deemed acceptable to the bidder. There will always be experts that will have differing opinions. In many cases more than one authentication service has reviewed a given item. As has always been the case at REA, in all cases where the retained authenticators were not in unanimous agreement regarding authenticity, those items were not accepted for auction. This is a strict policy which REA pioneered in 1996. If the opinion of the expert(s), or the documentation supporting the authenticity of a given item, is not accepted as sufficient for a bidder, it is the bidder’s responsibility to have an expert of his or her choice examine the given item for authenticity before bidding. Robert Edward Auctions will cooperate in any reasonable manner to have any lot examined by any qualified bidder’s expert(s) of choice. Auctioneer does not warrant authenticity of any material that is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, or its equivalent, from an independent third-party authentication provider. The bidder shall solely rely upon the warranties of the authentication provider issuing the Certificate or opinion, or on the warranties of the authentication provider of the bidder’s choice."

Or not...
Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

unless ANY auction house spells out who is the final arbiter should there be a dispute about authenticity, then it doesnt matter if it is a 3 year warranty period, 30 year, or 3 day.

that's the bottom line.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Personally, I would rather get a conclusive "not our responsibility" statement like REA makes, because at least it leaves no illusions:

"Robert Edward Auctions, LLC utilizes a third-party authentication process for bats, jerseys, gloves, many cards, and all autographed items. In placing a bid on such items, the encapsulation, documentation and/or letters supporting the opinion of authenticity that are noted in the description are explicitly deemed acceptable to the bidder. There will always be experts that will have differing opinions. In many cases more than one authentication service has reviewed a given item. As has always been the case at REA, in all cases where the retained authenticators were not in unanimous agreement regarding authenticity, those items were not accepted for auction. This is a strict policy which REA pioneered in 1996. If the opinion of the expert(s), or the documentation supporting the authenticity of a given item, is not accepted as sufficient for a bidder, it is the bidder’s responsibility to have an expert of his or her choice examine the given item for authenticity before bidding. Robert Edward Auctions will cooperate in any reasonable manner to have any lot examined by any qualified bidder’s expert(s) of choice. Auctioneer does not warrant authenticity of any material that is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity, or its equivalent, from an independent third-party authentication provider. The bidder shall solely rely upon the warranties of the authentication provider issuing the Certificate or opinion, or on the warranties of the authentication provider of the bidder’s choice."
That's certainly true, Adam. It leaves absolutely no illusions.

"We're happy to sell it to ya, but we make no warranties at all. You have to rely on the third-party's warranty. What? The third party doesn't make any warranty? Well, how about that! I guess you're f*cked, then."
Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

An auction house is like an individual dealer. You look at their reputation, honorableness, and how they deal with things in the past. That will help tell you how the deal with things in the future.

A lot of eBay sellers write down things they know are false or won't follow, so I would go just by a printed set of rules.

Last edited by drcy; 07-19-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Adam, REA and the rest of the auction houses charge 20 percent to have the privilege to buy from them. That twenty percent should guarantee that you can return an item at anytime if you find it not to be what you purchased. That is if the auction house is still around.
Just my thought.

Tags
leland's, tris speaker