NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Paul S

Default Forgeries, how low does it go?

Been reading "Operation Bullpen" and finding it fascinating and disturbing, but also noticed that the forgeries invariably involve really famous stars and celebrities. Which makes sense, since that's where the money is. But what about signatures of more common players, how much do I need to worry about the authenticity of those too?

For example, here's a listing for a signed photo of my granddad Billy Sullivan https://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLY-SULLI...bY2&rmvSB=true. The auto looks like the signature on letters I have, but more than that, I can't imagine a forger bothering to learn how to forge small fry players who aren't going to sell for a lot. Is this a reasonable assumption, or am I giving them too much credit, and underestimating the amount of forgeries in the business? I would note that this other listed signature of his doesn't look so good to me, despite its COA.https://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLY-SULLI...cAAOSwOdpX0zgC

And what about someone like my great grandfather, whose was no Babe Ruth, but whose autograph, if real, is apparently worth a few hundred dollars due to its scarcity (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billy-Sulli...QAAOSwICpZ7j-V. Do forgers do this kind of obscure stuff, or do they really only focus on big names whose autographs would be desirable for someone not knowledgeable about sports memorabilia? Las Vegas tourists, for instance, or someone who just wants a signed Jeter?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:10 AM
Ben North

You can go on eBay and find forgeries of average players selling for a few dollars that are fake. It is not just high end autographs, it is all autographs that get forged.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Ryan

It goes as low as you could imagine. If a seller can scribble on their worthless base card and turn it into $1, they'll do it. No one is safe sadly.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Steve Zarelli

There are sellers who continuously offer forged low value signatures on 3x5 cards or common baseball cards. These are $5 signatures or people you can get through the mail for free... and they are faking them! Nothing is immune to being faked. Nothing.

Do the math. 30 $3 fakes a week, all year long for 10 years. There are some sellers who have been doing it literally for a decade or longer.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Christopher Williams

I call them Kitchen Table Forgers.

https://live.autographmagazine.com/f...rek-jeter-card

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 10-27-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Nick Barnes

I collect Braves only, and have seen forged Gregg Olsen sigs, faked Eddie Perez...etc! It boggled my mind that someone would bother with either but...people are greedy.

One thing seeing that fake Olsen did was teach me that I needed to learn my sigs as much as possible and also find some reliable resources to use for comparison. Don't assume just because this is the backup catcher that the auto will be genuine. LEARN YOUR PLAYER AUTOS!

Old 10-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
There are sellers who continuously offer forged low value signatures on 3x5 cards or common baseball cards. These are $5 signatures or people you can get through the mail for free... and they are faking them! Nothing is immune to being faked. Nothing.

Do the math. 30 $3 fakes a week, all year long for 10 years. There are some sellers who have been doing it literally for a decade or longer.
+1

Absolutely.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Paul S

Disheartening. Thanks
Old 10-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
Disheartening. Thanks
There are hundreds upon hundreds of Kitchen Table forgers selling on Ebay.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Ryan

Exhibit A:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lock-em-up-...p2047675.l2562

PSA/DNA has been fooled by these as well, these will forever taint the hobby. It's sickening.

5 pages of feedback from the last month alone. Scribbling on your old base cards is a lucrative business on eBay.

Last edited by Ryan1125; 10-30-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1125 View Post
Exhibit A:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lock-em-up-...p2047675.l2562

PSA/DNA has been fooled by these as well, these will forever taint the hobby. It's sickening.

5 pages of feedback from the last month alone. Scribbling on your old base cards is a lucrative business on eBay.
Interesting choice of eBay user names, Lock-Em-Up-Bob. He's done over 5000 transactions but says he's "not a pro dealer so no COA."
Old 10-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Daniel Elsass

I would think that forging even an average players signature has to be beneficial in the long term for the person talented enough to pass them off. A few bucks here and a few bucks there can really add up when selling in volume. The average person would not take the risk but these people are pros and think nothing of it.

Then there are the ones that seek out a skilled hand to produce some of the rarer autos in the industry. When you do a search for "what are the rarest sports autographs" < those would make a nice starting point for this type of person then they'd add in the HOF'er autos and players that have died as well = big money. This happens a lot more than most of us would like to admit... and when it does it is prudent to report it in the hobby...

Then there are the kings of forgeries that go in to all aspects of the sports collecting industry (e.g. autos, uniforms, etc.). This article talks about one of the kings of the hobby that is making big rocks in to little rocks because... well... he BROKE THE LAW a lot.

https://deadspin.com/5818225/the-dow...-bernie-madoff
Old 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
I would think that forging even an average players signature has to be beneficial in the long term for the person talented enough to pass them off. A few bucks here and a few bucks there can really add up when selling in volume. The average person would not take the risk but these people are pros and think nothing of it.

[/url]
They stay under the radar that way.