NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Default help..from an expert...3 topics/VARIATIONS

Hi...this is joe dean an Im relatively new to this forum as follows: I have been collecting maily baseball cards for 35 yrs......

here are 3 of my finds...sorry phone takes bad pics and scanner is down...sorry... i have had 3 various thoughts on dealers that i know, but i what an expert point.. thanks --ok

1.... 1980 ul washington #508 royals --HIS NAME IS IN A YELLOW ON THE VARIATION, i have one in red....also, i had the stanley in the past and the wathan i sold private....Q -- Is this a new variation and of value...?

2.....next, interesting card - 1971 eddie watt orioles.... i have blank backs, BUT, this card havs 3 lite gray ares where the stats, bio, etc should be.... not sure what this is???

3.... Last is a 1960 fleer football card - richie lucas-96--- there is blue tint on bottom, all black missing---qb--team and field goal post....this is compared to his normal card....very neat....Note --- is this a proof and what type of value???

---I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK ON 1 OR ALL 3.... THANKS FOR LETTING ME SHARE....JOE DEAN:
Old 10-03-2014, 06:42 AM

The 1980 Topps U L Washington yellow name card usually sells for $20 to $30 when it shows up on eBay, the 1980 Topps yellow names Fred Stanley, John Wathan, and Steve Braun go for much more because they are more recognized in the hobby. They are recurring printing flaws, not variations. For whatever reason there was a printing problem on a few of the 1980 E* and F* sheets where the red ink ran low and affected the top horizontal rows on both sheets. The cards affected were Fred Stanley, John Wathan, and Junior Kennedy, which were the last three cards on the top row of the E* sheet, and Tom Poquette, Dave Rader, Reggie Cleveland, Steve Braun, Sammy Stewart, Rafael Landestoy, Junior Moore, Will McEnaney, Harry Chappas, and U L Washington on the top row of the F* sheet. The eleventh card on the top row of the F* sheet, Dwayne Murphy, was not affected because it has no red ink.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 10-03-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Al Richter

Default 1980

Old 10-03-2014, 01:50 PM

i appreciate the through answer on the u.l...... i wish i had an answer of the eddie watt but, i do see the photo of the nash variation.....
Old 10-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Al Richter

Default 1971

Does your Watt look like the cards above the Nash ? This is a defect I have seen on several 71 cards. Maybe Steve or Keith, our resident printer experts, can better describe how that type of print defect occurs, as opposed to a complete blank back. While they are interesting, and some people do collect blank or defective or wrong back cards, unless it involves a star player it would not carry much if any premium that I am aware of
Old 10-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Does your Watt look like the cards above the Nash ? This is a defect I have seen on several 71 cards. Maybe Steve or Keith, our resident printer experts, can better describe how that type of print defect occurs, as opposed to a complete blank back. While they are interesting, and some people do collect blank or defective or wrong back cards, unless it involves a star player it would not carry much if any premium that I am aware of
The ones above the Nash are neat, not uncommon on 71s, and can be found on most years.

The backs are printed with usually two colors. (Or were before full color backs became normal)

The sheet starts out as all blank backs.
Then the lighter color is added in 71 it was green.
Then the darker color.

Some years have I think a white layer added under all that - 68, 69, 70 for sure, one of the mid 70's basketball sets, probably others in the 60's. Not on all the cards, but on a portion of each run.

So the 71s shown got the green layer but not the final black layer.

---------------------
On the 1980 cards- I'm surprised those got in as actual variations. But the ----Who is it? the one where just the tip of the upper banner is blue instead of purple. Actually looked at the scan Randall. That's actually a different plate rather than just missing ink. But it didn't get accepted as a variation.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 10-03-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity