NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
Ernie Banks Ball: http://www.freewebs.com/jgmp123/apps...toid=168434514
I meant a Yogi Photo.
Yeah Banks is bad. Not sure why that's in the HOF collection folder...the Banks should be the program....Yogi photo is good in my opinion an purchased from a reputable dealer here on Net54.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Here is a closeup of the Dizzy Dean.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (49.5 KB, 179 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

To me, it comes down to "would I buy it" not "is it fake?" You have stuff in your collection I wouldn't feel comfortable buying.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
To me, it comes down to "would I buy it" not "is it fake?" You have stuff in your collection I wouldn't feel comfortable buying.
Pointed out by someone who I know as an "Expert", this Dizzy Dean autograph is specific to 1938, at which time Dizzy Dean was only 28 years old. I have had several PM's sent confirming the authenticity of the Dean autograph.

I really don't mind disagreements over a $20 Banks or Berra, but this Dizzy Dean piece is 100% authentic.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Pointed out by someone who I know as an "Expert", this Dizzy Dean autograph is specific to 1938, at which time Dizzy Dean was only 28 years old. I have had several PM's sent confirming the authenticity of the Dean autograph.

I really don't mind disagreements over a $20 Banks or Berra, but this Dizzy Dean piece is 100% authentic.
I was referencing some of the lower tier autographs but I wouldn't buy the Dean because I wouldn't be comfortable with it (it may very well be totally good).
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Christopher Williams

Definitely not authentic.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Definitely not authentic.
Chris,

You believe that this Dean from 1938 is not authentic???? I would have to disagree 100% with you. It is a perfect example.

Last edited by jgmp123; 09-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

James, first off the Carew, Berra and Ashburn all look good. I'm pretty sure that the Aaron ball is also good but his changes so much over the years that I prefer to get his in person, and I didn't see a Banks on there.
As for the Dean, I understand where people would think that it's fake. It does seem like a child signed it, but I've seen others from that same time period and although they were not "exactly" like that, they were definitely not like his later sigs which had good flow and slant to them. As someone else said, it's not a question of whether it's real or fake, but of do you feel comfortable with it. For me personally I would have passed, even though it's from Richard.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Wayne Walker

Here we are at the very crux of autograph collecting. We have opinions and opinions of those giving the opinions. Whatever gives a slice of collectors peace of mind is what gives an item value (or not).

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Wayne, I agree with that and that's what I was trying to say. If I buy an item that is "not the norm" but has been authenticated by people I trust, then fine, but chances are (at least for me) it's going to bother me every time I look at it framed on the wall...unless it's a once in a lifetime type thing and then I would live with it happily.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Wayne, I agree with that and that's what I was trying to say. If I buy an item that is "not the norm" but has been authenticated by people I trust, then fine, but chances are (at least for me) it's going to bother me every time I look at it framed on the wall...unless it's a once in a lifetime type thing and then I would live with it happily.
Agreed. Even if the Berra/Ashburn/Carew are legit, I wouldn't buy them since they don't look 'right' to me. Also, since there are so many examples of their typical signatures for low prices, I would get one I'd be more comfortable with.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Agreed. Even if the Berra/Ashburn/Carew are legit, I wouldn't buy them since they don't look 'right' to me. Also, since there are so many examples of their typical signatures for low prices, I would get one I'd be more comfortable with.
Mark,

Those are all items that can be upgraded over time as well...I am more concerned with the authenticity of the likes of Ruth, Lajoie, Cobb, Wagner, etc. The big ticket items that I feel are all authentic.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

If you believe they are authentic-why are you asking ? Are trying to figure out if they are authentic vs. real?

I feel this thread started out great and has taken a major turn. If you are questioning the authenticity of a few specific items or simply want comments on your webpage-why not set up a different thread? Also, I would be more specific and be prepared for answers you may not want to hear, regardless if they are right or wrong.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

I would get rid of those fake baseballs in your collection. I noticed a few of them. I could be more specific if you'd like. I'm glad you took down the photo of the fake Ernie Banks from your website.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I would get rid of those fake baseballs in your collection. I noticed a few of them. I could be more specific if you'd like. I'm glad you took down the photo of the fake Ernie Banks from your website.
The Ernie was the wrong item. The Ernie is actually a signed program. You will see it is updated.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
If you believe they are authentic-why are you asking ? Are trying to figure out if they are authentic vs. real?

I feel this thread started out great and has taken a major turn. If you are questioning the authenticity of a few specific items or simply want comments on your webpage-why not set up a different thread? Also, I would be more specific and be prepared for answers you may not want to hear, regardless if they are right or wrong.
I am fine with the feedback, but when I get a "It's a horrible fake" with no supporting evidence on an item that was purchased by a highly reputable person, I will ask additional questions. Wouldn't you?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Quote:
I am fine with the feedback, but when I get a "It's a horrible fake" with no supporting evidence on an item that was purchased by a highly reputable person, I will ask additional questions. Wouldn't you?
I would never do such a thing
(See below thread for the one time I did)

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...+harris&page=2

Lesson I learned from the board, don't buy an autograph and THEN ask for an opinion (especially one you don't want to hear, even if correct). I did go out and buy another Harris signature from Rich after this thread and took the original out of circulation.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 PM

Wow...so many of you in the 200+ range, that is amazing. I thought my collection was solid, but I haven't even cracked 100. My collection is completely comprised of Autographed baseballs and I am currently sitting at 88. A handful of guys I am sort of cheating with since they are all on my 27 Yankees ball, but due to the amount of money I would have to fork out for them individually, that is going to have to be how it is. I have a handful of guys that should be shoe ins for the HOF, but I haven't added them until they actually get there (i.e. Griffey Jr, Maddux, Frank Thomas) Here is my list.

1. Bert Blyleven
2. Rickey Henderson
3. Cal Ripken Jr
4. Tony Gwynn
5. Paul Molitor
6. Eddie Murray
7. Gary Carter (D)
8. Ozzie Smith
9. Dave Winfield
10. Kirby Puckett (D)
11. Nolan Ryan
12. George Brett
14. Steve Carlton
15. Reggie Jackson
16. Tom Seaver
17. Rod Carew
18. Jim Palmer
19. Joe Morgan
20. Carl Yazstrzemski
21. Johnny Bench
22. Willie McCovey
23. Harmon Killebrew (D)
24. Brooks Robinson
25. Frank Robinson
26. Hank Aaron
27. Bob Gibson
28. Al Kaline
29. Willie Mays
30. Ernie Banks
31. Mickey Mantle (D)
32. Whitey Ford
33. Monte Irvin
34. Yogi Berra
35. Stan Musial (D)
36. Ted Williams (D)
37. Burleigh Grimes (D)
38. Bob Feller (D)
39. Joe DiMaggio (D)
40. Duke Snider (D)
41. Juan Marichal
42. Sandy Koufax
43. Fergie Jenkins
44. Orlando Cepeda
45. Luis Aparicio
46. Rollie Fingers
47. Ryne Sandberg
48. Carlton Fisk
49. Lou Brock
50. Warren Spahn (D)
51. Tony Perez
52. Robin Roberts (D)
53. Eddie Mathews (D)
54. Bobby Doerr
55. Gaylord Perry
56. Ralph Kiner
57. Rick Ferrell (D)
58. Billy Herman (D)
59. Phil Rizzuto (D)
60. Robin Yount
61. Ron Santo (D)
62. Hoyt Wilhelm (D)
63. Hal Newhouser (D)
64. Andre Dawson
65. Babe Ruth (D)
66. Don Drysdale (D)
67. Lou Gehrig (D)
68. Waite Hoyt (D)
69. Earl Combs (D)
70. Herb Pennock (D)
71. Lou Boudreau (D)
72. Bob Lemon (D)
73. Red Schoendiest
74. Enos Slaughter (D)
75. Phil Niekro (D)
76. Ray Dandridge (D)
77. Wade Boggs
78. George Kell (D)
79. Roberto Alomar
80. Johny Mize
81. Larry Doby (D)
82. Pee Wee Reese (D)
83. Don Sutton
84. Jim Bunning
85. Buck Leonard (D)
86. Willie Stargell (D)
87. Dennis Eckersley
88. Bill Terry (D)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

So jealous of the guys in the 200+ group, hoping to get there one day. Currently at the 97 mark and hoping to be over 100 by end of year.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Jake Dahl

I am at 35 different and counting. I will one day update my photobucket site and share all my baseball hall of fame autos. I like getting perez steele's, gold hof plaque and trying to add some of the black and white ones and also the first day cover envolpes are cool, and have 3 auto baseballs of Hank Aaron, Bob Feller and Bill Mazeroski

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia

Last edited by HOF Yankees; 09-05-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Not to be morbid here, but just stating a fact, that as of next year there will be 29 living hof'ers that are 75 or older, and of those there will be 15 that will be 80 or older. It's bad enough we lose them way too early like Puckett and Carter, but we are coming up on a time in the next few years that we could lose a bunch of the all time greats. I would recommend to anyone, especially if you are just starting or have not been doing this too long, to pull op a list of living hof'ers and start with some of the oldest. In the long run you'll be glad you did especially if you can get them in person.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Not to be morbid here, but just stating a fact, that as of next year there will be 29 living hof'ers that are 75 or older, and of those there will be 15 that will be 80 or older. It's bad enough we lose them way too early like Puckett and Carter, but we are coming up on a time in the next few years that we could lose a bunch of the all time greats. I would recommend to anyone, especially if you are just starting or have not been doing this too long, to pull op a list of living hof'ers and start with some of the oldest. In the long run you'll be glad you did especially if you can get them in person.
+1!!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Great point. That is why I have added doubles to my collection.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post

+1
Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Chris,

You really need to learn to let things die some times.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Chris,

You really need to learn to let things die some times.
What do you mean by that, James?

Please explain.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Don't worry it wasn't a jab regarding the long-winded thread regarding a response from Travis. That post from Taz was made 3 days ago. Let it go already. I know you think the Dizzy Dean auto is a fake. I just choose to disagree.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Don't worry it wasn't a jab regarding the long-winded thread regarding a response from Travis. That post from Taz was made 3 days ago. Let it go already. I know you think the Dizzy Dean auto is a fake. I just choose to disagree.
I didn't get back to this thread until this morning.

I will continue the conversation under the appropriate thread.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

I'm cuurently at 44 living (soon to be 45 when I get Cepeda back from s private signing this month) with 28 deceased for a total of 73.

I honestly feel like I should have so many more. I started collecting HOF autos in 1987 at the age of 9. I grew up outside of Cooperstown (hence the name) but Ive never had any focus in my collection. Numerous dupes in the collection, and Im all over the place in terms of what I have them on (bats, balls, cards, HOF postcards, 8x10s, etc). So many guys I had the opportunity to get in Cooperstown (Gehringer and Bell come to mind immediately) and never did.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Wayne Walker

Wrong thread

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 09-09-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Michael

Default Hof

I am away from my collection till spring but I have all Wayne has except for Stearns and I have a Hanlon, and a George Wright and a Wilbert Robinson off the top of my head. So I must be in the 230's or so. Jim Stinson has seen my collection. I would love Waynes Maranville batter Up as I prefer to get guys on cards. I am pretty stck as I refuse to pay the prices out there for huggins etc. I do have an extra Dreyfuss and Spaldin to trade so maybe I will be able to come up with something by trading those
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I am away from my collection till spring but I have all Wayne has except for Stearns and I have a Hanlon, and a George Wright and a Wilbert Robinson off the top of my head. So I must be in the 230's or so. Jim Stinson has seen my collection. I would love Waynes Maranville batter Up as I prefer to get guys on cards. I am pretty stck as I refuse to pay the prices out there for huggins etc. I do have an extra Dreyfuss and Spaldin to trade so maybe I will be able to come up with something by trading those
Michael,

Haven't seen you post around here for a while, good to hear from you. Yes, your collection is unreal.

I think I'm sitting at about 100, and those are just signed rookie cards only, I'm sure I'm well above that if I were to count flats, balls, photos etc. I am currently researching if my Hanlon is legit or not, if so, I would be looking to sell it.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Michael

Default collection

My collection seems amateurish in comparison to Jason and others. many of my non HOFers are gone (sold by Jim Stinson) tho holding onto my signed tobacco cards and my HOFers. Are your HOFers posted? Would love to see. For the next 5 months my collection is about 4,000 miles away.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
I would love to see these, but I guess that can't happen right now.

Any chance you can put up scans in the spring?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
My collection seems amateurish in comparison to Jason and others. many of my non HOFers are gone (sold by Jim Stinson) tho holding onto my signed tobacco cards and my HOFers. Are your HOFers posted? Would love to see. For the next 5 months my collection is about 4,000 miles away.
If you think yours is amateurish, mine is just scrap lol

Jason has to have the greatest signed HOF rookie card collection in existence (that I'm aware of). I think he said he has every HOF'er post 1933, including Managers etc

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 09-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Michael

Default Jason

Jason is missing 1956 Harridge and 1940 Connie Mack. I think I have both, not positive on the Mack tho I do have him on a e96 (can see on T206collector.com). He has the best HOF rookies though. I never went for the rookies per se since they are so much more pricey. Like I do not have a 48 Musial tho I have him on 30+ different cards.
Lutherlafy? seems to possibly have the best HOF collecction card wise of those who post