NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 PM

I believe 'errors' were intentionally printed. 1990 and '91 were the worst.

I have some '91 Topps fronts, with 1989 Topps *football* backs.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:48 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Moose's Corvette View Post

I do have a couple 91 Fronts with Football backs. As a matter of fact a Jose Canseco and Frank Thomas were a part of my submission to BGS.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Moose's Corvette View Post

I have some Topps baseball with 79 fronts and 78 backs. From the junk era I have blank fronts, blank backs, and wrong backs from most years/companies. They are my favorite cards. The Topps are very easy to find but but some of the others are very hard to find.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

I have some of those 79/78 cards too. I think Topps used whatever cardboard was around as unfinished product for press adjustment or to produce other products.

I also have baseball fronts with Mork and Mindy sticker backs - not actually stickers but the sticker image.
And a Bazooka bubble gum box with 1978 Topps baseball backs inside. Another has black hole card backs inside.

Steve B
Old 12-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I have some of those 79/78 cards too. I think Topps used whatever cardboard was around as unfinished product for press adjustment or to produce other products.

I also have baseball fronts with Mork and Mindy sticker backs - not actually stickers but the sticker image.
And a Bazooka bubble gum box with 1978 Topps baseball backs inside. Another has black hole card backs inside.

Steve B
Steve have you seen any of the newer Heidlelberg printing machines? I got to see a new multi million dollar model about 5-7 years ago and they do everything for you. No adjusting of anything, they even had an eye for the color.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Steve have you seen any of the newer Heidlelberg printing machines? I got to see a new multi million dollar model about 5-7 years ago and they do everything for you. No adjusting of anything, they even had an eye for the color.
I haven't seen any of the new stuff in person. I talked a bit with a guy in the stamp club who has worked from the era I was in briefly until very recently, and learned a bit about the new digital stuff that works directly from the computer files to a plate made on the press. Pretty impressive stuff.

I did see a Heidelberg-Harris 6 color press being built. They were testing out making a metric spec press here in the US. They were a very early adopter of what's called integrated supply - where the company has maybe 3-5 suppliers for everything and gets massive discounts based on volume. They were doing that when most everyone was doing "just in time delivery" for parts and supplies.
The company I was with was a distributor for a German hydraulic fitting company and I specialized in finding the less common stuff and identifying what customers wanted. HH came to me from the main office because their integrated supply partner for hydraulic stuff had to be told what page in what catalog a fitting was on even when given the part number At the time I knew our brands part numbers without looking them up, and knew their suppliers brand fairly well. maybe 20% without looking in the book.

Over the course of a few months they bought what would turn out for some parts to be every piece available in the US aside from a few in stock at other distributors. One size of copper tube I had to get specially redrawn for them since the usual coils didn't work well with the compression fittings.

Got to see one of the two they made when I dropped some stuff off at the factory. Massive machine.

Steve B
Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Dylan

These are definitely printed on 1991 Topps Traded "white" card stock.

Also added a quick blurb with link to this thread on my blog.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 12-30-2016, 07:19 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
These are definitely printed on 1991 Topps Traded "white" card stock.

Also added a quick blurb with link to this thread on my blog.
The one you posted is your own? Meaning there are at least two copies of McRae/Lefferts.