NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM

Default Bccg

Can someone help me understand the BCCG grading system? Are they part of becket or is this some scumbag over grading cards and cheating the public. If it is part of becket, they should be be proud of all of the over graded cards floating around.....

Last edited by bigfish; 02-16-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Rob Miller

Hey Toby,

There was a thread a while back about how bad the BCCG grading system is and why it even exists.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...highlight=bccg

Rob

Last edited by Robextend; 02-16-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Barry Sloate

Toby- I'm just as outraged about it as you.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Barry,

Just looking through ebay and I see all of this crap. People buy these cards and think they are getting a nice card. Becket is a disgrace and I am not sure why they let this go on? Very strange? I do not see how it could possibly help their biz. Becket gets two thumbs down from me.

Sorry for rehashing an old thread. I just noticed this while looking on ebay and I see these cards at shows. Gross!

Last edited by bigfish; 02-16-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Jim VB

We've had numerous threads about BCCG in the past. It's stupid and ridiculous. Although the Beckett web site says they use a 10 point grading system, I don't think that's correct, because a BCCG 5 is "poor or better."

I think the system was designed for high volume users like Home Shopping Network. It offers a low cost way to slab your cards. With large volumes of cards (10,000 or more) you can get the price down to $2.00 a card.

The scale is as follows:

BCCG 5 = Poor or Better
BCCG 6 = Good or Better
BCCG 7 = Very Good or Better
BCCG 8 = Excellent or Better
BCCG 9 = Near Mint or Better
BCCG 10 = Mint or Better

It was a stupid idea. They have been doing it for years and have insisted they will stick by it. Maybe it's a money maker for them but until they stop it, they have no credibility as a grading company.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Default Becket

Can someone from Becket defend why they are doing this? I know they read the board. I am really interested in learning their reasoning.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Rob G.

I understand its lower cost, but WHY is it lower cost? cuz they change the grading scale?

Hypothetically, if i submit a $1k card for BCCG grading, will they take the same amount of time to make sure its authentic and not altered and give it the proper grade (based on the BCCG scale)? Is the holder the same as the BVG holder, just with a different tag?

If they charge less for the service, SOMEWHERE along the line the service must not be the same as a regular BVG grading submittal.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Jeff

Default Bccg

"It was a stupid idea. They have been doing it for years and have insisted they will stick by it. Maybe it's a money maker for them but until they stop it, they have no credibility as a grading company."

Agreed.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Jim VB

Rob G.,

It's not the same holder. It feels much cheaper. It also uses no internal sleeve. As to how long they take to inspect, I would only be guessing. Based on quantity, it costs $2.00-$5.00 per card.

As I said, it was designed to offer an alternative to high volume customers.

http://www.beckett.com/grading/pricing.asp
Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Dan Paradis

I'll admit it. I was one of the idiots fooled by BCCG. When I first started buying cards (and before I knew anything about grading companies) I bought a BCCG 10 1975 Topps George Brett. I saw "Beckett" and figured it must be legit.

I busted the card out, sent it to PSA and received a PSA 6. So my $100 card became worth about $20!! It was the only BCCG card I ever bought. I sure other novices have made the same mistake.

Dan