NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2019, 04:44 PM
pete ullman

Default TPG Grading Process/Rules/Guidelines for graders

Is this a big mystery what actually happens to cards when they are sent to be graded by TPG'ers? Does anyone know the process? The training of the "graders?" Are there "notes" that the "graders" are given regarding issues so they can refer to these "notes" since they don't really know about most card issues?

You'd think that former employees would have given insight into this? Are employees forcd to sign indefinite non-disclosure forms stating they will never ever discuss this?

And I'm guessing "graders" aren't paid much?

Do we know what technology is used...if any?

WTF???
Old 05-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Dave Fa*st

It’d be nice if the graders had some information on their websites stating how they grade, how they teach grading, what do they do when they honestly just don’t have any knowledge on a rare issue.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

The graders know about all issues no matter how rare they are. They take lots of notes when they are reviewing a card and have to type up their notes in the system before they can leave for the day. They don't sign non-disclosure agreements but they do love the company so much that they never tell the secrets of the grader after they leave. And everything I've typed in this post is a big pile of horse neers.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
The graders know about all issues no matter how rare they are. They take lots of notes when they are reviewing a card and have to type up their notes in the system before they can leave for the day. They don't sign non-disclosure agreements but they do love the company so much that they never tell the secrets of the grader after they leave. And everything I've typed in this post is a big pile of horse neers.
haha...your description was sounding like the day of a doctor!!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

I imagine cards are fabricated by the manufacturer to a certain length and width using nominal values for each. Obviously, the nominal value is not going to be hit during the entire manufacturing period so there will be some differences. Where does PSA find these tolerances? They have to know what would be considered undersized for a certain card set or are they not measuring at all? How are they are measuring? Read all sorts of posts over the years where somebody who has pulled the card from the original pack submitted it and it came back not meeting the size requirements.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
I imagine cards are fabricated by the manufacturer to a certain length and width using nominal values for each. Obviously, the nominal value is not going to be hit during the entire manufacturing period so there will be some differences. Where does PSA find these tolerances? They have to know what would be considered undersized for a certain card set or are they not measuring at all? How are they are measuring? Read all sorts of posts over the years where somebody who has pulled the card from the original pack submitted it and it came back not meeting the size requirements.
Size varies a lot on most older sets, a bit less on stuff from postwar, and on many modern card sets shouldn't vary at all. It's all about the technology of the time, and the person doing the cutting.

I don't recall what PSA told me way back when they were new and I asked about 70's cards that were large or small from the factory. I'd like to say 1/64th of an inch under but since the holders were sized pretty closely no tolerance for oversize. But that was a long time ago.

That level of accuracy can be done easily with an inexpensive machinists rule. Starrett makes nice ones for under $30.
http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...-Rules/C304R-6

but even a cheap one is fairly accurate. 2.99

home depot machinists rule

If you're more serious, I have a digital caliper that can get within .001 in, and sort of accurately to 1/10000th. But it only costs $40-50 so I don't trust it that much.

Add a 40x loupe at under $10, and a bit of knowledge, and you're all set to detect most trimming. (Nearly all, if you act conservatively and reject any that don't seem quite "right" )
Old 05-26-2019, 10:45 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

I’m glad you guys are finally seeing the light

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5j0mQYpy8
Old 05-27-2019, 05:26 AM
Scott Russell

Nobody disagrees with you about the need for TPG's to step up. I hate to speak for others, but where I disagree with you is in absolving PWCC for all responsibility for there questionable actions (to put it very kindly) let alone with your stance that they are the solution to the TPG problem.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
I’m glad you guys are finally seeing the light

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5j0mQYpy8
Have you tried spreading your word over at blowout forums??
Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Mike

On the PSA web site it states they use 7x-10x power magnification, they state don't over do it.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

7-10 should be just fine. I like the cheap 40X because the lens size is large compared to most inexpensive 10X. Around an inch instead of a half inch.

The SGC guy I talked to had a very nice lighted 10X with maybe a 3" lens. I found them online, and considered buying one, but I'm just too cheap.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

There is or at least once was a former SGC grader on the board. There are probably others. Maybe someone will chime in, maybe they won't.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:45 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
There is or at least once was a former SGC grader on the board. There are probably others. Maybe someone will chime in, maybe they won't.
Without any inside info, I would bet there are things they do that would be reassuring, and plenty that would really keep you concerned. There’s a reason they keep the wizard of Oz behind a curtain...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-27-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Recently(in last month) a member poster that they are a PSA grader. Can't remember in what thread though.