NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Default O/T Sports Museum of America Opens This Week

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

Yesterday, we had the distinct privilege along with a select group of contributors, investors, journalists and other dignitaries to attend a private pre-opening event for the brand new Sports Museum of America.

The Sports Museum of America will be “a must see” stop for fans and collectors all over the country (and the world). Located in the heart of Wall Street, within a two block walk of the former World Trade Center site, the museum contains a fabulous array of interactive exhibits and memorabilia for twenty plus different sports.

The baseball section has a number of wonderful items from the Stephen Wong collection as well as some cool items on loan from the Hall of Fame, Jackie Robinson’s family collection, the Bill Mastro collection and the Yogi Berra Museum. There were only a few baseball cards on exhibit but a number of important tickets, programs, photographs and uniforms.

The movie and videos that have been created for this for profit museum were world class , indeed. The museum opens to the public on Wednesday, May 7, 2008. For more details visit the web site at

http://www.sportsmuseum.com/>

Enjoy your visit

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

Some NYC museum admission prices:

The Met: $20
MOMA: $20
Museum of Natural History: $15

Perhaps the Sports Museum of America got some bit of a tax break for doing business
in "re-building" Lower Manhattan. That might explain their low $27 admission price.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Bruce(s) - how many admissions you were charged?

Reminds of on SNL when they used to put Pat in circumstances to try and discern his/her gender.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

It looks interesting. I think I'll try to convice my wife. $54 isn't bad for a Manhattan sporting event for two.

btw: "It's Pat" is a fine film. It's one in which I part ways with major film critics.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

There is a story in the NY Daily News about the museum.
Seems like there are some heavy investors behind it, guess they feel that our $27 will help them get there money back.
And the $20 fee at the Met is only a suggested admission price. Nobody pays it except for tourists who don't read.
So you can get into one of the world's great art museums for 1/5 of what they are charging at this place.
Daily News story -

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2008/05/03/2008-05-03_philip_schwalbs_vision_realized_in_new_l.html

---

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 05-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Any city owned museum, such as the Museum of Natural History is suggested admission only. I started only paying a nickel when I went in after my ex-boss(former deputy commissioner for several city agencies) told me about multi-million dollar private events held each year at the taxpayers expense.

I'm sure the people who donate money to the museum are the ones invited, but it seems like a wash with the money charged for admission that is then spent on parties, etc. Be glad to donate money for a good cause, lower the admission price, and make people feel less guilty if they can't afford the whole price for admission.