NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default Helmar Advertising Wooden Sign on Heritage

Posted By: Joe K.

I won this Helmar Brewing Gabby Hartnett wooden sign on Heritage Auctions. HA described it as a one of a kind original art. I wasn’t familiar with this sign or artwork, but tossed in a low bid of $80, thinking I wouldn’t win since the estimate was $300 – 400. I won it at $80($95 with BP) and then did some google research and found that Helmar is selling identical wooden advertising signs on their store front for $75. The difference is theirs is 14” x 24” and the one on HA is 22” x 34”.

Did I just spend $20 more for some reproduction I could have bought online? I imagine there is a difference since mine is a different size. I can’t imagine they are selling hand painted art for $75 online. Anyone familiar with this Helmar art work? Could the one on HA be the original painting?

Thanks for your help!

Heritage:
http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=48072&Lot_No=42152

Helmar:
http://98.131.6.133/Storefront.htm

Old 07-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Hard to believe that one-of-a-kind original art would sell for that little. Even harder to say about your Hartnett piece, as the size is different, and I did not see that specific one listed in the Helmar on-line store.

Maybe someone here knows more about these... not my area of expertise, as even the "original art" would be considered modern (and not vintage). I would not sweat the $95 spend, however, as long as you like the piece. These do appear to be attractive and pretty well made...

Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

The item description says that it has a "definite vintage feel". Those seem like very carefully chosen words.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: AndyH

Joe,

It looks to me like you won the original painting that was used to produce the sign that Helmar is selling. The other painting that Helmar is selling as originals are listed at much more than $95, so it looks like you got it at a good price. Cool painting in my opinion.

AndyH

Thanks,

Andy

Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Klevens

They are modern signs that look old. They are made by Helmar Brewing.
I bought some original artwork from them. I have a few nice pieces done by Monty Sheldon.
I know they will be at the National this year.
Here is a link http://www.helmarbrewing.com/storefront.htm

Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I don't think. They made two sizes......I bought a Mathewson and Wagner off ebay for about $75.00 each. They are very nice but very new. Make a great wallhanging. If I remember back then, the bigger size were $75 to $80 and the smaller were about $55.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Klevens

I thought these are printed not handpainted.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

At the bottom of the description, Heritage calls it "one-of-a-kind original art" and the price estimate is in alignment for the original painting not the sign, so I would read the auction to mean you are supposed to be getting the original painting.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

Thanks all for the responses. I know it is new, as Helmar Brewing has only been in existence since 2001, but I was/am expecting it to be hand painted, not printed, based on the auction description .

Here is a pic of the back from the auction that shows some blue and black paint on the back.

Tom - Do the backs for your two signs look like this?

The price estimate is in line with the original paintings, as David and Andy pointed out, and the size is not in line with either of the two repro sizes they sell on their store front – so we’ll see. Hopefully a painting that is a little more unique, but regardless seems pretty cool and I have no remorse. (I will however follow up with HA on their auction description if it turns out not to be an original painting).

Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Joe, I've never seen the signs but that's the back of a painting.