NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Tobacco (T) cards, except T206 B/S/T

Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Default Re: How do you crack a card out of a PSA case?

Posted By: George Leidemer

Old 01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

I use a rounded blade kitchen knife, starting on the top right corner. I've done hundreds of them, most recently this afternoon after the mailman delivered a 5.5 Topps 1952 Ivan DeLock and 2 different 1982 Topps blackless graded 8. Go slow, and be careful. I split 3 full edges before I open the slab like a book and remove the card.

Best of luck,
Doug

Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Schwarz

This may not be acceptable or too dangerous for some but has been very effective for me. I take a straight edge screw driver and place it in the middle on the bottom side between the two pieces of plastic. Push a little and twist, move down 1/2 inch and repeat. Then move from the middle to the other side every half inch. All the while the case is cracking open. You can then go slightly up each side, pull the plastic apart and presto! Free at last, free at last!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I've taken a box cutter and run it around the edges until it breaks the seal then pry it open with a small flat head screwdriver. It's worked every time.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

I use my table saw. Very quick and no damage to the twenty plus I've freed so far.

I usually cut between the tag and the top of the card. PSA holders take only one cut and fall in to two pieces easily. SGC usually takes two, so I cut between the tag and the card top, then along one of the edges as far away from the card as possible.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff W.

You guys have some impressive ways to crack open a psa slab. All I do is take a butter knife, find the seam of the slab on the side, and twist the knife back and forth. The case cracks pretty easy which allows you to run the knife around the edges to crack the whole thing open. Works all the time.

Jeff

Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

C'mon Jeff. We've got a garage full of tools and damnit, we're gonna use em.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff W.

That makes sense since I live in a condo! I wish I was in your position though, I would probably use a jackhammer if I had one!

Jeff

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Collins

I use a small flat head screwdriver and a little hammer. On the side of the PSA holder there are little notches that sometimes you can pop the seal without a hammer just by sliding the screwdriver in. When I use both the screwdriver and the hammer I put the card between my knees and then tap the screwdriver through the side of the holder just enough to start popping the seal all around it.

I have probably popped over 100 cards out of holders and knock on wood have not damaged any yet.

By the way BVG graded cards are a big pain to get out!!

Dan Collins

Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: stefan

i use a hammer or any heavy / blunt object, hold the card on a sturdy and flat surface keep a 1/4 inch of end of slab off the edge of the surface. place pressure with your non-swinging hand on the slab and hit it with whatever object you've chosen and wham bam you pry the slab and you got your card.

if this doesn't work use a blow torch.

Ps. Pro holders are the toughest objects known to man kind. I once knew a man who cut a diamond with one!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Navarro

Here's my method illustrated with pictures. This is me cracking out a 1954 Hank Aaron rookie card to get autographed. I crack them ALL the time. It's easy. Takes guts to do it the first time, but after that, it's easy. PSA slabs are easy. BGS slabs are a pain in the butt and is the only time I've ever damaged one (1994 Arod SP).

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: larry

after reading all this info about case cracking, i'm wondering if population reports are any good.
a novice

Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Population Reports are never accurate when trying to pinpoint the EXACT number of a certain card on the market. They are however, a valuable tool in determining rarity of a certain card in relation to other cards.