NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default Calling On T207 Experts for Help!

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Just how rare are Anonymous Backs? How rare are Factory 25 backs compared to Factory 3 backs? I have a Buck Weaver with a Anonymous Factory 25 back and I'm wondering if this back makes the card extra special?

Old 12-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

the tough backs, like Anonymous, are generally only found on a distinct subset of players from the set, all of whom are SPs. So the back is really tough -- but all Weaver cards are tough, so the back does not add much to the value of the Weaver...

if that makes much sense. Anonymous backs generally command strong prices on the Bay...

Old 12-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I have seen several Factory 25 Anonymous back Weavers but never have run across a Factory 3 (Louisana) back Weaver. Thereotically there is/are #3 back Weavers out there, just never seen one. The Factory 3 Anonymous back is the only back that arguably could be found on any card, according to Lipset in his book, but you have to wonder. The #25 back can only be found on the T207s which also have Cycle, Red Cross and Broadleaf backs but NEVER Recruit or Napoleon backs. Clear as mud?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

FWIW, my T207 set of 203 cards breaks down as follows:

BACKS BREAKDOWN
Anon 25 = 2
Anon 3 = 7
Broadleaf = 27
Cycle = 14
Napoleon = 6
Recruit 606 = 116
Recruit 240 = 87

I was not looking for or excluding any particular backs so the distribution should be considered more or less random.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

These are my thoughts, the anon backs are found with both fact 3 and 25. The anon 25 backs were distributed in the east and south. The anon 3 backs were distributed in the midwest and south. From the many t207s i have had I belive the anon 25 to be a tougher back than the anon 3 but not by much. Your Weaver card is on many wantlists. The back in terms of value on that card makes no price difference. Some may pay a small premium for the card with a cycle back but in general most who collect t207 are happy to get the cards they want without much regard for the back. Although t207 master set collecters will try to obtain the same player with the different backs. T207 type collectors may try to get one of every back which would total 9 different backs.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Tim,

For more info on the relative rarities of both the T207 set and various backs -including interesting discussion on possible series distributions and the scarcities of the "Anonymous" Recruits (Factory 3), check out the articles in issues 37 and 38 of the Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector (VCBC) by both Bob Marquette and Tim Newcomb. See http://www.vcbc.com for more info.

While that's not a direct answer to your question, it certainly makes for great background material to help understand the lay of the land (so to speak). I'm a relative newcomer to the set (18 mos) and have found those references - and old posts in this forum - very helpful in trying to understand the quirks ... there are many.

--
Mike

Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Marc, Bob, Bruce, Patrick, and Mike,
Thanks for your helpful insights and thoughts into the anonymous backs! I'll have to do some reading up on the topic.
Tim

Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

I agree that the articles by Tim and Tbob are a must if you are going to collect the T207 set. I've learned a bunch from them both and use Tim's survey a lot to checklist my "toughies".

It seems like I see fewer a25's than a3's on ebay, at least in the last couple of years, but like Patrick says they are probably pretty close in scarcity.

Patrick,
How did you determine a3's were distributed in the Midwest? Is that new info or maybe something I missed in earlier threads and articles?

Paul

Old 01-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

Hi Paul hope you had a great holiday. This theory was reached by me and a fellow t207 collecter who has collected for many years. I have no proof of the distibution but in the last 10 years I have handled about 12 collections ranging in size from 30 to 200 t207 cards including the Carter collection. From where the cards where bought by me i have reached this theory. The carter cards had 19 anon backs and only 1 maybe 2 were anon 25. I belive he collected his entire life in the midwest. Another 190 card collection from new jersey had about 12 anon backs and none were anon 3. I really wish I had kept track of all of this but I did not. In fact I do not know for sure if the cigs were even distributed in the midwest. I do know that in Louisiana Md And Va they were sold if anyone has any other info please post. Again no proof only my thoughts. Also to add for those that may not know all Napoleon backs came out of fact 240 PA . And the brown recruit backs also came out of the same fact. If anyone has either of these 2 backs from different fact I would love to see them .

Old 01-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

I got up to 132 before giving up the ghost. But checking my old spread sheet I was surprised to see I had 12 Anon.3, and ZERO Anon.25 ........ odd

Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Mike,

I'm waiting until you finish the set before I start bidding on any on ebay.
I can't beat you.

Robert

Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Robert,

I think Jim (ihatealrosen) said it best in the Final Pickup thread ... "the slush fund is dead." At this point, I'll be happy to get the remaining two Pirates in '08... '07 was just insane.

--
Mike