NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Dan B

Default EBAY Shipping Question

I recently bought 5 1948 Bowman cards on Ebay. The total of the cards was $77. When I received my invoice the bill was $165. This person wanted to charge me $88 in shipping. I got back on the auction and carefully checked the costs and he/she is charging $14.90 shipping per card. I have emailed them on three occasions asking to combine shipping and send me a new invoice. I have had no luck. I have perfect feedback on EBAY and have never not paid for an item. I wondering your thoughts on if I should not pay and leave bad feedback regarding shipping.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Jason Berry

I wouldn't pay. That's ridiculous shipping.

He can't neg you anyways. You can do one of those ebay agreements where both sides agree not to complete the transaction and he gets his fees refunded and can list them again.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

I wouldn't pay either since he can't leave negative feedback. The only side effect will be a non-paying strike placed against you. Like the previous post, If the member will not combine shipping, see if he/she would do a mutual withdrawal so that they can get their fees back. On a side note, I will usually email the seller to inquire on combined shipping prior to bidding to avoid this type of problem.

Good luck.

r/
Frank
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Dan B

I should have checked with them in the first place. I even told them in one my emails that I was willing to pay $14.90 shipping for all the cards. This is even outrageous but since I didn't read closely enough I was willing to bite the bullet. Unfortunately I still have not heard from them.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Todd C

did the auction listing state something like "no combined shipping" ?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default must be one of those Isoldit places

I once bought about 7-8 E210's on ebay, all listed singly, by an ISoldIt on ebay shop. For ground shipping the charge was around $100.....I called them and argued and got no where. I got the cards at a great price so went ahead and paid it. This was in the old system where they could retaliate so I just didn't give them feedback. With todays system they would have gotten 7-8 negatives and 1 on every shipping remarks......They gave me some song and dance about it was their system blah blah blah......it was BS if you ask me...but I did get about 7-8 seperate boxes....regards

ps...on this one, if they stick to their guns, I would blast them (and I never do that)

Last edited by Leon; 06-19-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
D.B. Cooper

Would you be so kind as to give us this clown's Ebay ID?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Todd C

some sellers will charge $14.90 and then stick the card in an evelope with a single stamp on it.

for that high of a shipping charge. I would expect 2 day delivery, with insurance, gift wrapped, and a bow on top !!!!

Last edited by deadballera; 06-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

For that shipping price, I would expect the seller to send them to either PSA or SGC for grading with a return shipping to the winner
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
TedBallgame

I'd contact eBay and complain BIG time. No way on this planet am I paying that incredible shipping fee.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM

I would have to disagree with everyone. I saw the cards (I think we are talking about the same seller) and was going to bid but then double checked and saw the shipping charge. I think you should pay, you bid it - you buy it, regardless of the outrageous shipping. And I think it is safe to say almost everyone has gotten bit on incredibly high shipping charges at least once.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
D.B. Cooper

Doesn't Ebay have a policy that sellers cannot charge exorbitant shipping charges? I assume its primary purpose would be to protect Ebay's bottom line, as they don't get a percentage of the shipping, and high shipping prices would suppress winning bid prices.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Pup6913

I think I found the seller^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Look in the direction of the arrows^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No one in their right mind or wrong for that matter should have to pay that. I get people getting nasty because I charge them $10 to ship an item that cost about that priority and WELL packaged. No one will ever be happy. He is taking the excess money from shipping to make up for Paypal and Ebay RAPING US I would say file a complaint and don't pay due to excessive charges.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Pup6913

Anthony got in the way
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM
D.B. Cooper

Seeing as I always provide free shipping, I was hoping those weren't my arrows.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
D.B. Cooper

Here's Ebay's policy on excessive shipping charges:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...-shipping.html

I've attached the first and last paragraphs:

Excessive Shipping Charges Policy

When listing an item using eBay’s shipping calculator, or specifying a shipping cost in categories for which eBay does not set maximum shipping and handling charges, sellers may charge reasonable shipping and handling fees to cover the costs of mailing, packaging, and handling. eBay will rely on member reports and its own discretion to determine whether or not a seller’s shipping, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeiture of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

Last edited by Anthony S.; 06-19-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Alan U

Looks like they are sending the cards parcel post too!! Nice, $88 and take a week or two to get the cards.

If a seller won't combine shipping, the buyer should request the cards be shipped in individual packages.

I'd back out and/or report to ebay.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Andrew -
No I am not the seller. Check out item 320381474418. That is the one I looked at and commented on.

And, for full disclosure, my Ebay ID is mcap10

Michael
Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Rob G.

If you decide to pay for the outrageous shipping charges, pay for each auction individually with a different paypal account (friends/family in the area) so they are all different shipping addresses.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Tim Sanders

Default And Don't forget to pay your $1.75 ...

for insurance because it is of course not covered in the $14.90!! (Are the insurance fees per card as well?)

Last edited by T2069bk; 06-19-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Dan B

Default Update

I never heard back from the seller. I did get on my EBAY page and clicked on pay for these items. When it came up the shipping had been reduces to $4.90 for each card. So I went ahead and paid the $24.50 shipping. I will wait and see if and when I get the cards. I only decided to pay because I did not pay close enough attention. No were in the listing does he state that they will combine shipping or not combine shipping. Once the cards arrive I will decide then, on whether I dink them on the star system.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 PM
James Gallo

That is just insane, there is no way anyone can give a legit reason for having such a high shipping cost. IMO even with a handling charge that is outragous.

I sell a ton of stuff and I try to keep my shipping as low as possible, I add a bit for packing supplies and what not but I don't pull any of this crap about gas or time etc.

5 raw, graded or whatever cards can be shipped priority mail for $6. Insurance wouldn't even be that much more.

I just bought a few cards and the guy went penny for penny and total me that top loaders cost him .20. Give me a break this is a cost of selling cards and should be factored into that. Some people are just unreasonable.

James G
Old 06-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Attention to the details

I've got to agree with mcap100176, and disagree with the majority of you fine collectors.

I agree the shipping cost is excessive, for the method used, but it only emphasizes the importance of reading the details. No; I am not an attorney. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Poor humor aside, there have been many eBay auctions that I've passed on either because the value of the item did not merit the excessive postage declared in the listing, or because the seller would not combine items for one (or 2X) item shipping cost.

In all fairness, I've been burned before, because I did not read the details in the listing as carefully as I should have. But the anger is usually directed at myself for being careless, than due to the seller's description or apparent greed.

Hasn't there recently been a widely explored thread with regards to the high shipping cost charged by Legendary Auctions, or by Mastro Auctions ? Have their actions been excused because they did not clearly list the shipping costs in their catalogs, prior to your bidding. Yet many of you are quite angry towards an eBay seller who lists outrageous shipping costs in his listing. The group sentiment seems a bit backwards to me.

If, by chance, the listing failed to clearly declare the cost of shipping, or the seller charged more than the listing indicated, then I retract most of my statements above, and encourage whatever action can be taken against that particular seller. But from what I've read, this costly mistake resulted from failure to carefully read and understand the listing details, before submitting a successful bid. A painful lesson, but a valuable one for all of us to be reminded of.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 06-25-2009 at 02:08 PM.