NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default FBI to drop Clemens case?

Posted By: steve

I heard a news blip. The FBI has decided to drop the Roger Clemens purgery case, saying, "Clemens has already been shamed enough...and...they don't want to waste their time with it."

Are we to assume Barroid, er, Barry Bonds Baloney also dropped?

What about Marion Jones, Olympic sprinter, who I think has done actual time behind bars - I would be screaming "unfair" if I were now in her shoes.

Clemens and Bonds in same boat
Cast out to drift and float
They won't get a sniff
When Hall of Fame time to vote

steve

Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

I think you're talking about a New York congressman named Weiner who is asking that the FBI drop the case due to the reasons you cited. I recognize the quotes from a news story yesterday. I don't believe there are any indications yet that the FBI has opted to do so. The article also mentioned that Weiner is considering running for mayor of NY (or was it Gov. of NY state --- I skimmed), so he could well have said it to get in good with the locals.

edited to add link to the ESPN.com story

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3278505

Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I'm not sure the Dept of Justice has actually dropped the case. I did read on either ESPN.com or CNN.com this morning that some senator was sending a letter to the DOJ requesting they drop the case, for the reasons you cited.

Steve

Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

The politician you are talking about is running for Mayor of New York and his district covers the area where Shea Stadium is located.

David

Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I guess perjury is not a serious offense any more.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Yeah, ignore Anthony Weiner. He's just trolling for votes and actually thinks (or at least the focus group he convened for this thinks) that this would make him popular for his run for NYC mayor. Imagine how race relations would be impacted if the feds dropped its investigation into Clemens for lying under oath but allowed Bonds and Marion Jones to go to jail for the same offense.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

What kind of idiot thinks the FBI drops cases because the offender has been publicly "shamed enough"?

Oh....he's a politician?

Nevermind.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Before I moved last year, Anthony Weiner was my congressman. I was never very impressed with him; even less so now.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TONY Galovich

Rumor has it Clemens has friends in high places politically, so this is as far as it will go.

A slap on the wrist & Clemens goes on his merry way

he's right up there with P rose as one the best players who don't deserve to be in Cooperstown

Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

Rose and Clemens are apples and oranges.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

I agree with Ed.

And while Clemens may have friends in high places, they couldn't stop a criminal referral or convince him to fade away. Clemens is toast.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

Regardless how many friends Clemens may have in high places, I can't fathom how the government could drop this case yet proceed with the Bond's case. The parallels are too strong and treating Clemens differently than Bonds would create extremely vociferous claims of racial bias. As to this moron Weiner's assertion that the government has better things to do with its time, wow! Amazing! So whether lying under oath to Congress as it performs its official duties is an offense worthy of prosecution is now to be a function of some subjective determination of how important the matter is that Congress is investigating?! What a great way to get people to testify truthfully before Congress. Oh, and by the way Congressman Weiner, why don't you go to the families of high school athletes who took their lives as they were withdrawing from steriods. And explain to them how the effort to get PEDs out of professional sports so that these kids' role models will be perceived as clean and their accomplishments untainted is not important enough a matter for Congress to take up.

Perhaps the best argument for the government to drop this case, as well as Bond's, is that it seems the more the government gets involved, the more we get to see how Congress functions and how stupid and imbecilic many of our Congressmen and Congresswomen are. At this point frankly I'm not sure which has outraged me more, Clemens's blatant lies or the utterly stupid and inane questions some members of Congress asked at the hearing, not to mention bozo Weiner's reasons why the govenment should drop the case.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I just read they are making the case even more serious

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080306&content_id=2410249&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Somewhere in Texas, Rusty Hardin has a scotch in one hand, a cigar in the other...he's looking at himself in the mirror and saying, "damnit, you are one handsome, smart sumbitch!"

Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

"Y'all know what this is, don't you?" I'm just imagining what Hardin's opening statement might be.