NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Default R. G. Laughlin Baseball Sets

Hey guys, this is my first post here but I'm very active on Blowout. I was told to come here with my questions because the vintage community was bigger. I recently have come across these sets in a vintage collection I have. They're all full sets, 1972 Great Feats of Baseball(blue border) 1972 Great Feats of Baseball(red border) 1974 Old-Time Black Stars, 1978 Long Ago Black Stars and 1980 Famous Feats.

I was able to find some information on them but I cant find a solid value on them. I'm looking to sell all of them and just want to know where they currently stand in the market. Any information would be appreciated, thank you! I included some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 04:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Neat cards!

Welcome to the site.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Neat cards!

Welcome to the site.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Mike Lenart

Welcome!

Your Red Bordered Great Feats cards appear to be cut or trimmed. My cards and most I have seen are about the same size as the Blue Bordered Set. I have seen the smaller cards for sale.

Some recent sales on Ebay were $67 for the Blue Border Famous Feats set, $500 for the Old Time Black Stars Set, sales of $114 and $128.50 for the Long Ago Black Stars Set. I don't know the condition of the sets that sold compared to your cards.

Hoe this helps.

Mike
Old 02-02-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
Welcome!

Your Red Bordered Great Feats cards appear to be cut or trimmed. My cards and most I have seen are about the same size as the Blue Bordered Set. I have seen the smaller cards for sale.

Some recent sales on Ebay were $67 for the Blue Border Famous Feats set, $500 for the Old Time Black Stars Set, sales of $114 and $128.50 for the Long Ago Black Stars Set. I don't know the condition of the sets that sold compared to your cards.

Hoe this helps.

Mike
Yea the Red Great Feats are a lot smaller than the blue, wasn't too sure about it, just thought they both came in different sizes. I saw those Ebay comps but they were all over with pricing so I wasn't too sure. I know condition is key, I'd say mine don't look that bad. Thank you though, I really appreciate it!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Marty

Welcome to the site! You will find lots of helpful people here if you stick around! As has been mentioned, of course, condition is a big factor. The large Great Feats sets usually go around $80 or so. The two negro league sets have been doing very well these past several years, although $500 for the 1974 set seems very high to me, unless it was in mint condition. The 1974 set has a better selection of popular players, and I think Bob made/sold more of that set than he did the 1978 set. A seller has sold quite a few 78 sets the last few months, so you should be able to see the prices he has been getting. The smaller Great Feats set is pretty cool. They are not trimmed, and I think they were the first of the three versions of the set issued (small red borders, large red borders, and large blue borders). The small red set is pretty tough to come by, and I don't think I have seen a full set for sale on eBay in quite a while, but maybe one or two have sneaked through! For some reason, they do pop up in lots of 5 or 10 cards from time to time. I have learned a ton about Bob's issues, but I don't have a lot of details on the small red set.

Last edited by laughlinfan; 02-02-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Curt

Most people (sellers) seem to break up sets like those. Certain players will probably sell much better and then maybe you are left with singles, but I imagine you get the most for your money by selling as singles.

I don't think I have ever stumbled across a Diamond Jubilee set for example. The 2nd Feats set is probably the most easily found of the batch and might be found in set form more than the others.

I loved finding full sets like this when I was filling in the gaps. If you sell as sets, it will make some people much happier for a shot at a set without building it card by card.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Marty

Forgot to add that the 1980 Famous Feats set was quite widely distributed, and despite the nice color compared to his other issues, does not get nearly the prices that the other sets get.

Edit to add: I just saw Curt's reply, and I agree that the individual price of some of these cards has led most sellers to break them up. Bob would have loved to have seen how popular his Negro League sets have gotten!

Last edited by laughlinfan; 02-02-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
Welcome to the site! You will find lots of helpful people here if you stick around! As has been mentioned, of course, condition is a big factor. The large Great Feats sets usually go around $80 or so. The two negro league sets have been doing very well these past several years, although $500 for the 1974 set seems very high to me, unless it was in mint condition. The 1974 set has a better selection of popular players, and I think Bob made/sold more of that set than he did the 1978 set. A seller has sold quite a few 78 sets the last few months, so you should be able to see the prices he has been getting. The smaller Great Feats set is pretty cool. They are not trimmed, and I think they were the first of the three versions of the set issued (small red borders, large red borders, and large blue borders). The small red set is pretty tough to come by, and I don't think I have seen a full set for sale on eBay in quite a while, but maybe one or two have sneaked through! For some reason, they do pop up in lots of 5 or 10 cards from time to time. I have learned a ton about Bob's issues, but I don't have a lot of details on the small red set.
Thank you! I do plan on sticking around and hopefully contributing as well. The small Great Feats stand out the most and were the hardest to find any info on. I have approximately 36 of the small red border, not sure if that's a full set or not, but they're pretty neat, the designs look very nice as well. I don't collect much vintage, I'm more into modern sets so hopefully it can go to someone who will appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Most people (sellers) seem to break up sets like those. Certain players will probably sell much better and then maybe you are left with singles, but I imagine you get the most for your money by selling as singles.

I don't think I have ever stumbled across a Diamond Jubilee set for example. The 2nd Feats set is probably the most easily found of the batch and might be found in set form more than the others.

I loved finding full sets like this when I was filling in the gaps. If you sell as sets, it will make some people much happier for a shot at a set without building it card by card.
I did see some cards graded by PSA and some singles were being sold on Ebay but I would prefer to sell as a set and let someone who appreciates it more add it to their PC or have them graded.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Dustin Bellinger

About 2 years ago there was a complete set break of the 74 Black Stars set in EX-MTcondition sold on eBay. I won all but 2 of the HOFers becausee I already had them. Spent $200 so I would be surprised if you got more than $350-400 for that set. Definitely agree that breaking them up will maximize your return. I know I have several in the 78 set (Sol White, Leon Day, Ben Taylor) that I would be interested in. If you broke it up would try toI get 1 or 2 from you but wouldn't be able to afford the full set.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would be interested in both of the black stars sets. Please let me know when you list them.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.