NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Scott R.

Default Ruth auto on Ebay - Opinions??

Here's a Ruth auto on ebay that looks pretty good to my untrained eye...though the story sounds a bit fishy. I submitted a request to PSA for a "quick opinion"...still waiting to hear back.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121077937301...torefresh=true
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Scott R.

Disregard...just got my response from PSA (fastest turn around time I've had with them). Came back as "likely not geniune". I'll keep searching...

Last edited by Westsiders; 03-08-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

That finally explains all the Babe Ruth forgeries available - the forgers were simply competing in an autograph contest.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Default JimStinson

The story is very plausible , "Waterman's" was a contest for kids the company used the contest to promote their pens , I think the winners got a free pen or something.

For many youngsters back then it was their first introduction to autograph collecting. I've bought quite a few of those books over the years and while they may have occasionally had a secretarial autograph or two for the most part they are almost always good.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Default JimStinson

I don't know who the seller is but I looked at the other autographs from the "Waterman's" book that he has listed including Calvin Coolidge, Orville Wright, George Eastman, Will Rogers etc. and they are all spot on , So the story seems to add up fine. Curious to me how the "likely not genuine" was rendered so casually if that was indeed the case.

Also in the 1930's and toward the end of his career Babe Ruth would pre-sign blank cards , like business cards but blank. And send them through the mail or even hand them out in person. The date of the Waterman's letter 1932 fits this time frame perfectly and the e-bay offered Ruth looks like one of those. Have attached a scan here for comparison of a genuine Ruth from the same era.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Thank you for giving this answer Jim. I was going to write a long reply when I returned home and you saved me the trouble. I am also familiar with the Waterman's books and have seen quite a few for sale over the years. The best ones were crammed with additional letters and photos. I also looked at all of the others and was comfortable with the Alfred E. Smith and Calvin Coolidge.

Last edited by Michael B; 03-08-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Scott R.

With my layman's eye, this auto looks great. I was actually very suprised that it came back with a "likely not genuine"....not to mention how fast the opinion was rendered. Thought I may have been missing something obviously wrong with the auto.

As much as I like it, just don't know if I have the balls to go against the quick opinion.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Scott R.

Damn...maybe PSA does know what they're doing. Just saw that the listing has been removed already.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:14 PM

The listing was removed because PSA said it was bad. Not because it actually is bad.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Default JimStinson

Wish someone had saved a copy of it as I think it would be an excellent subject for discussion.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Ed L@m

Is this it? I pulled it out of my browser cache.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52F4Ad01.jpg (30.3 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Okay, I'll go out on a limb and say...

...the same guy who signed that card, also signed this ball auctioned by Heritage last October: Heritage Babe Ruth Ball and it DOES have a PSA/DNA LOA:

Last edited by Runscott; 03-08-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

...the same guy who signed that card, also signed this ball auctioned by Heritage last October
Why?

The "a" has a totally different shape. On the ball, you can see the flow, confidence and fast speed with which the "abe" was constructed. It has a "bounce" to it.

To me, the "abe" on the card appears tentative and drawn. The stem of the second b is especially wobbly looking. No "bounce"... a flat looking signature.

Maybe they are both good, maybe they aren't. It's not my area of expertise. But just using general autograph analysis, it seems to me there are notable differences between the two.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post
Is this it? I pulled it out of my browser cache.

I see a methodically drawn "Babe Ruth."

BabeRuth-Net54.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 03-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

...the same guy who signed that card, also signed this ball auctioned by Heritage last October: Heritage Babe Ruth Ball and it DOES have a PSA/DNA LOA:

I also see a "very thin limb."
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Here they are close together...

Very interesting as there are definitely some glaring similarities; angles, slant, flow of the entire sig as a whole as well as many of the individual letters; end of the "b" through the "e" and the start of the "R".

However, the one up top(ebay) looks slowly drawn; each letter starting and ending with much thought(ex: end of the R/start if the U). And then there is the obvious "a" but I agree with most that one letter does not define a piece.

To me, the one on the bottom looks like one would sign their own name on a ball like they have done it without thinking. The one on the top looks like one a very good forger would do on a flat looking at a similar exemplar as the ball and done it before. IMNHO

I went back and forth on this one for a bit here but thought I should give a definitive opinion either way if I was going to open my yapper.. The problem is, I am not expert on Ruth Signatures.

Any of our autograph experts on here actually have a difinitive opinion??? Psa dna gave their opinion. What is yours?? Way to give a opinion either way Scott..Good post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth2.jpg (45.1 KB, 177 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 03-09-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Why?

The "a" has a totally different shape. On the ball, you can see the flow, confidence and fast speed with which the "abe" was constructed. It has a "bounce" to it.

To me, the "abe" on the card appears tentative and drawn. The stem of the second b is especially wobbly looking. No "bounce"... a flat looking signature.

Maybe they are both good, maybe they aren't. It's not my area of expertise. But just using general autograph analysis, it seems to me there are notable differences between the two.

I completely see your points - thanks. I got hung up on the end of 'Ruth', which normally the forgers screw up badly.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Here they are close together...

Very interesting as there are definitely some glaring similarities; angles, slant, flow of the entire sig as a whole as well as many of the individual letters; end of the "b" through the "e" and the start of the "R".

However, the one up top(ebay) looks slowly drawn; each letter starting and ending with much thought(ex: end of the R/start if the U). And then there is the obvious "a" but I agree with most that one letter does not define a piece.

To me, the one on the bottom looks like one would sign their own name on a ball like they have done it without thinking. The one on the top looks like one a very good forger would do on a flat looking at a similar exemplar as the ball and done it before. IMNHO

I went back and forth on this one for a bit here but thought I should give a definitive opinion either way if I was going to open my yapper.. The problem is, I am not expert on Ruth Signatures.

Any of our autograph experts on here actually have a difinitive opinion??? Psa dna gave their opinion. What is yours?? Way to give a opinion either way Scott..Good post.
Yep, I see your points as well. I guess I've been looking at that green '27 Yankees ball too long, so my definition of 'slowly written' has changed.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Default JimStinson

What about compared to this one ? Differences ? Similarities ?
File Type: jpg BABERUTHCOMPARISON2.jpg (41.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM

I am by no means an expert either, but it does appear as though the "a" on the ball and the earlier example provided by Jim are much more alike than the ebay offering.

Last edited by johnmh71; 03-09-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post

Can you give us your opinions?

Ben

Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Belltown Vintage

??????? (this is fun)

The one on the left is PSA/DNA authenticated. I've seen this same style 'R' authenticated plenty of times - is it characteristic of a particular Ruth signing period?

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Since I've already gone out on a 'thin limb' (that the limb-referencer was unwilling to join me on...or even to approach the tree), and since I'm not a professional authenticator and therefore can go out on such limbs without fear ...
  1. overall - letters in left one aren't proportionate to one another (left side of 'a' higher than right side; same for 'u')
  2. overall - left one is written more slowly
  3. left one - bottom of letters don't form as straight a line
  4. left one - loop in middle of 'B'
  5. left one - loopier bottom of 'h'
  6. similarity - both somewhat slowly written, but not as slow as the Ruth in the green ball
  7. similarity - 't' shorter than 'h', general slant of letters
Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Belltown Vintage

It seems like most people are kind of afraid to express their opinions about Babe Ruth autographs.

Since Ruth autographs are the most commonly forged, and many have gotten by the authenticators, I don't see the harm in going over the problems in detail so that we can avoid getting fooled in the future. The fact that a 'good' single-signed Ruth ball will sell in a major auction for over a $100K, but a questionable one will still sell in a major auction, but for much, much less, indicates that collectors will pay a helluva lot of money for something they have serious doubts about. That just seems plain stupid to me.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My opinion: Don't buy a Ruth autograph on Ebay.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
My opinion: Don't buy a Ruth autograph on Ebay.

If a dealer has to go to ebay to sell a Ruth autograph it does not say very much about that dealer.
I could sell 20 Ruth autographs easily at this moment by selling to my mailing list clients.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-12-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
If a dealer has to go to ebay to sell a Ruth autograph it does not say very much about that dealer.
I could sell 20 Ruth autographs easily at this moment by selling to my mailing list clients.
I would agree that makes sense for big established dealers. But, I'd think small time ones or private collectors may go the eBay route with real Ruth autos out of convenience and to reach the most potential buyers. I think there are plenty of good Ruth's sold on eBay, but buyers need to be careful and do research before any major purchase like a Ruth. I think some dealers use eBay to try and draw people to their own sites sometimes.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Perhaps you should go to ebay and buy 20 so you can keep up with your high demand???

Do you have opinions on the Ruth's within this thread? That is what this thread is about after all.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Perhaps you should go to ebay and buy 20 so you can keep up with your high demand???

Do you have opinions on the Ruth's within this thread? That is what this thread is about after all.
Wow, I made a post that was OT. Sorry about that Ben, did not know you had such strong feelings about that.
I do have high demand for Ruth autographs but as the people on my list know, I try to charge reasonable prices for my items.
There are no Ruth autographs on ebay that I can buy for resale.
Thanks for your advice Ben, unfortunately it does me no good.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-18-2013 at 11:32 AM.