NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Shawn M

Default Norwegian Black Metal

I personally think this genre of "music" is disusting and evil. How can people feel good about themselves being fans of this, it suggests self mutilation, suicide, and murder, oh, and satanism... and some parents just laugh and turn their heads the other way.. wow
Maybe someone can shed some light on the subject and explain to me a difference of opinion
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Curious topic.

There are some extreme metal bands I like sonically-- Sunn 0))), Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion is a great bombastic everything but the kitchen sink Monty Python mad genius album (I mean, how many metal bands came with its own timpani, horn section and opera singers?), Electric Wizard, Earth. I'm centric to experimental sounds and generally don't listen to the words. I'm sure Electric Wizard would say their satanic lyrics are just a schick, and I have no doubt a lot of their lyrics are stupid. Most of Sunn 0)))'s music is instrumental-- it's an avant garde sounds band. A friend of mine said she didn't think Sunn 0))) counted as music.

I don't like death metal, 80% because I can't stand distorted vocals. Hate electronically distorted vocals in top 40 hip hop music and in death metal and in the Chipmunks' Christmas Carols. A Rolling Stone critic once famously called a metal band's sounding like 'the cookie monster throwing up.' I couldn't have worded it better. So, no, I don't give a thumbs up to Norwegian Black Metal from what I've heard. I find it hard to take seriously any Satanism in music and think most of the time it's a stage act. I take it no more seriously than the Vampiricism in the Twilight Series and Vampire Diaries. If a band is being serious about it, I wouldn't call it evil but stupid.

Actually, a lot of old blues songs are about the singer's relationship and struggles with the Devil. Robert Johnson is the quintessential example. The story of Johnson having sold his soul for his guitar playing skills is a part of his legend, and his lyrics are dark and haunting.

Youtube: Robert Johnson "Me and the Devil Blues" (1937)

Last edited by drcy; 05-23-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Alex

Robert Johnson is one of my all-time favorites.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM

I think you might be taking things too literally. It's a performance genre, so there is a heavy performance element to it. Look at some Gwar videos for references.

Some of these bands are tongue in cheek, like Gwar for example. Others are just perpetuating an image that is supposed to be "scary." These bands produce high energy music for high energy people. I don't think a lot of people who listen to them are even interested in the lyrics as much as they are the mood and music.

Last edited by packs; 05-23-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

double post

Last edited by drcy; 05-23-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Sunn 0))) and their unique musical world. The second is an example of drone metal and is music completely different than most people have ever heard. Someone said they are the least radio friendly band ever, and the second song will tell you why. No offensive lyrics I assure you, just sound.

Sunn O))) - megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért

Sunn 0))) - Dylan Carlson

I am a fan of Sunn 0))), but, for the record, I have season's tickets to the Seattle Symphony and like the Beatles too. Just says I have a wide musical palette.

Last edited by drcy; 05-23-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Jason Presley

The Insane Clown Posse had a great line in, I think it was "The Dirt Ball", something to the effect of "people love horror movies, but you can't be scary on a CD" in response to all the hypocritical backlash against violent lyrics in a song from a group that is clearly performing in character. Insert the entire 1980s right-wing, pseudo-Christian crusade against nearly every popular music act on the planet.

If it's in a movie or book, it's "just a story". If it's set to music, clearly it is direct instruction to the brain to perform the acts described therein.

Last edited by DaClyde; 05-23-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Dead Kennedys continually got into trouble with people who didn't realize they were being sarcastic and satiric. Though they were were happy to offend those easily offended.

Dead Kennedys - Kill the Poor (1980)

Last edited by drcy; 05-24-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
The Insane Clown Posse had a great line in, I think it was "The Dirt Ball", something to the effect of "people love horror movies, but you can't be scary on a CD" in response to all the hypocritical backlash against violent lyrics in a song from a group that is clearly performing in character. Insert the entire 1980s right-wing, pseudo-Christian crusade against nearly every popular music act on the planet.

If it's in a movie or book, it's "just a story". If it's set to music, clearly it is direct instruction to the brain to perform the acts described therein.
Tipper Gore is right wing?!?

I musta missed something.

Steve B
Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Tipper Gore is right wing?!?

I musta missed something.

Steve B
People are complicated.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Daryle Barbee

All I have to say is........DIMMU BORGIR!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLhiQ...yer_detailpage

Last edited by wolfdogg; 05-25-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Daryle Barbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think you might be taking things too literally. It's a performance genre, so there is a heavy performance element to it. Look at some Gwar videos for references.

Some of these bands are tongue in cheek, like Gwar for example. Others are just perpetuating an image that is supposed to be "scary." These bands produce high energy music for high energy people. I don't think a lot of people who listen to them are even interested in the lyrics as much as they are the mood and music.
+1
Old 06-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Shawn M

I wasn't talking about bands like GWAR or ICP, I meant Norwegian bands like Mayhem and such, who sacrifice animals on stage, use barbwire to cut themselves on stage, openly use drugs during concerts, and burn down churches in their own time. I just dont get it