NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Talking Collecting Milestone Complete - 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson Set

On October 11, 1947, African American newspapers across the country announced a historic endorsement deal that would pave the way for so many others to come:

Jackie Robinson had officially agreed to let Bond Bread use his image to promote their products to the African-American communities in Brooklyn, and other parts of the United States.

Dixie Walker, often considered to be one of the Dodgers' players that was most outspoken about not wanting to play with Jackie Robinson, was the face of Wonder Bread.

Bond Bread saw the opportunity to use Jackie Robinson to cross racial lines, and to build a stronger African-American consumer base. However, there was one hitch to their plan - Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson had made an agreement that endorsement deals would not be part of the picture during his rookie season.

Finally, upon completion of the World Series in 1947, Branch Rickey conceded, and allowed Robinson to ink the deal with Bond Bread for $500. This would pave the way for other endorsement deals soon after (Old Gold Cigarettes and Borden's Milk).

I don't want to go into further details about the set / endorsement deal, as I am finalizing my research on it. I will post my findings once they are complete, and my article has been written.

What I will say, though, is that the mystique and history behind this set has attracted some powerhouse collectors and famous individuals.

That being said...

On May 27, 2011, I began my journey to do what seemed like the impossible: collect the entire set of 13 Jackie Robinson Bond Bread cards. I had just started getting back into collecting after a nearly 20 year hiatus.

I actually had sent Donald Spence a message on eBay inquiring about the set... to which he told me that it took him nearly 6 years to finish his #1 set.

Challenge accepted.

To up the ante, I told myself that I would not buy the Portrait Facsimile card (most common in the set with a total pop of 59) until I had the other 12 cards in my possession.

And so I stayed the course...

Until, more than 3 1/2 years ... on January 20, 2015, I received the final card that I needed for the set. Ironically, it was Spence that sold me that final card, which was the Portrait Facsimile card. I had stuck to my word.

I do have to say that I owe A LOT (endless) thanks to a couple of individuals that have really been a tremendous help in getting me to this point... those two being Greg S. (BOTN) and Jason E. (JackieRobinson.net). I also want to thank Mike (seamhed) for further feeding my interest in the set, and planting the seed to really research the set and its significance.

At 13 cards, one wouldn't think that this set would be all that difficult to complete. However, those that have started this beast will tell you otherwise, and the pop reports speak for themselves.

Because I have purchased the majority of the non-portrait SGC Bond Breads, and cracked them out to put them in PSA holders, I'll list only the PSA population reports:

Total Population for the Set: 193 cards
Awaiting the Pitch - Total Pop: 13
Batting, No Sleeves - Total Pop: 8
Batting, White Sleeves - Total Pop: 19
Fielding, Ball in Glove - Total Pop: 9
Fielding, No Ball Visible - Total Pop: 14
Leaping, Scoreboard - Total Pop: 10
Leaping, No Scoreboard - Total Pop: 6
Portrait, Glove in Air - Total Pop: 6
Running Down the Baseline - Total Pop: 12
Running to Catch the Ball - Total Pop: 10
Sliding - Total Pop: 20
Throwing - Total Pop: 7
Portrait, Facsimile Sig - Total Pop: 59

Some stats, and then some pictures...

First Bond Bread card purchased: Batting, White Sleeves (raw - would grade a PSA 1.5)

Multiples that I have owned at one point during my collecting journey:
Sliding (2 - PSA 3, PSA 5 - sold the PSA 3);
Batting White Sleeves (3 - PSA 1.5, PSA 4, PSA 6 MK - sold the PSA 1.5 and PSA 4)
Leaping, No Scoreboard (2 - PSA 2, PSA 3 - sold the PSA 2)
Leaping, Scoreboard (2 - PSA 2, PSA 6 - sold the PSA 2)
Running to Catch the Ball (2 - PSA 4, PSA 6 - sold the PSA 6)

And now, pictures of my set (total grade: 4.12), one of only 4 complete sets (2 more were completed in the past, 1991, and 2010)

Portrait - Facsimile Signature - 1947

Portrait - Glove in the Air - 1947-1948

Leaping, No Scoreboard - 1947-1948

Fielding, No Ball Visible - 1947-1948

Fielding, Ball in Glove - 1947-1948

Awaiting the Pitch - 1947-1948

Batting, White Sleeves - 1947-1948

Batting, No Sleeves - 1949

Leaping, Scoreboard in Back - 1949

Running Down the Baseline - 1949

Throwing - 1949

Sliding - 1949

Running to Catch the Ball - 1949

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards

Last edited by CharleyBrown; 01-23-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Ed Jensen

That is an awesome set, and a terrific accomplishment! Congrats.

I look forward to reading your paper about the set - a fantastic piece of Americana, not just baseball.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Shaun- That is a wonderful accomplishment. I admire your dedication to the task. I appreciate you sharing the details.

Jackie is always on my to-buy list as he is one of five Hall-of-Famers that played in the majors and were born in Georgia. I have all his Topps cards except 1952, but would someday love to get some of the earlier cards.

Your collection is a great tribute to this great man...Congratulations!

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Phil Garry

Shaun:

Great job completing the set!

I once owned the most common card in the set for my BB HOF RC collection, it was one of my favorites.

I assume that you also have the Jackie card from the Regular Bond Bread set from '47?

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-24-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:20 AM

Congrats! Absolutely one of my favorite post war cards too!

Ricky Y
Old 01-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Richard A.

This is awesome. I've always loved (but never owned any of) this set.
I think it's doubly awesome that you've been researching the set and look forward to your article.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:54 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Very, very impressive - one of the toughest postwar regional/specialty sets that there is. Congrats!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Thanks all! It's been a blast collecting, and further researching this set.

One of my favorite things about the set has been that it has given me the opportunity to get to know other collectors, make some friends, and share information regarding the hobby.

Phil,

I don't actually own that card from the regular Bond Bread set. I've been so focused on this set that I passed on numerous examples. That will likely be a goal for 2016.

The most common card in this set is his true RC IMO - while this set is often said to have only been released in Brooklyn, I strongly believe (and I am in the process of gathering evidence to support that belief) that this set was actually distributed in various major cities with significant African-American populations (Baltimore, Richmond, etc). The remaining 12 were released between 1947 and 1949-1950.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:26 AM
M@rk Comer

Default J. Robinson

Congrats on finishing the set! This is a great accomplishment and thanks so much for taking the time to share with the Net54 community; it is appreciated.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Mikeknapp

Congrats Shaun that's quite an accomplishment!

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 01-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Phil Garry

Thanks for the info, Shaun. I didn't realize that many of the cards in the set were not issued in 1947 but later.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Tom

A big tip of the hat for not only completing a vintage set, but a very historical one as well!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Kevin

Default 1947 Jackie Robinson

Congratulations on completing your set!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:50 PM

Shaun, again, heartiest of congratulations on completing your Bond Bread Jackie Robinson set. Sharing your joy, journey and research has been enjoyable, interesting, enlightening, and endearing. Some characters are just an oozing braggadocio, and wouldn't lift a finger to give us research info. The way you've shared with us has been refreshing and makes me feel very glad for you. Where for some of us, including myself, who cannot hope to even secure one of he cards, but find the set fascinating nonetheless, we're sure proud of you. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-25-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Thanks again all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Shaun, again, heartiest of congratulations on completing your Bond Bread Jackie Robinson set. Sharing your joy, journey and research has been enjoyable, interesting, enlightening, and endearing. Some characters are just an oozing braggadocio, and wouldn't lift a finger to give us research info. The way you've shared with us has been refreshing and makes me feel very glad for you. Where for some of us, including myself, who cannot hope to even secure one of he cards, but find the set fascinating nonetheless, we're sure proud of you. ---Brian Powell
Thanks Brian! I'm really hoping to put the final pieces together shortly. Once I do, I look forward to sharing everything that I've gathered to shed more light on this set with the boards and in the hobby.

IMO, that's one of the best things about this hobby. After all, we are celebrating moments in history, and it's enthralling to learn and share with others intriguing information about the sport we all love.

The images in this set pull you in, and knowing that Jackie's deal with Bond Bread paved the way for other African-American baseball players to secure endorsement deals with companies that had in the past targeted a predominantly white customer-base makes this set all the more historically significant.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Steve

I guess this is off-topic, but what the heck was "homogenized" bread anyway? Applied to Borden milk, of course, homogenized meant simply complete mixing of the cream and milk, but there's no separation of any bread ingredients, so did Bond just appropriate the term because if it was useful in selling milk, why not slap it on the bread?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Bill Gregory

Shaun, congratulations! I look forward to reading your article.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Tags
bond bread, dodgers, jackie robinson, post war, rookie card