NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Default Mob Mentality On Chatboards

There are some really cool guys here. Knowledgeable and fun to "collect with".
I see great looking cards and enjoy the many stories. I even like the owner of the forums and think he's intelligent and wants a better hobby experience for himself and net users. I have had many private conversations that are super positive.
With that said, there is a mob mentality that the TPG scandals have created that should be checked. It was already in my mind as I read an inordinate amount of card threads hijacked with "45/45" silliness and accusations that cards are trimmed that show no evidence)other than scan angle/shadows.
One centered around a '64 Rose recently where guys just jumped on it saying the card was trimmed, etc. I would wager your whole collection against mine the card wasn't altered in any way. Stock thread appeared evident in any areas of question...yet we had "that doesn't look right" and "45/45" and "too much room in the holder" ridiculousness. When a card is truly small, you need to actually MOVE the card to see how it plays. An image shows nothing. In addition, the holders themselves have a margin of sizing distortions that are negligible, but noteworthy when bordering a 2.5x3.5" piece of cardboard.
Today, I was happy to share my '77 Yount. It is a beautiful, vending-fresh card that is spectacular. I wanted to show it off to pad my fragile geek card collector ego--just like EVERYONE here. I'm confident to have handled more 77's than anyone on earth and I know the card's vending case origin...yet nobody even gave me the "hey, sweet card"... but one incorrigible nuisance immediately chimed "45/45 centering"...I am typically much nicer in writing than I am in person--which is quite different from the norm so I'll leave it at that.
I realize some baseball card collectors have never spoken to a woman without first giving her their credit card information but PLEASE guys...for the love of all things pack-fresh...STOP the trimming witch hunt.
Not everything you don't have is trimmed.
Now....attack!
Old 02-01-2020, 09:51 PM
Bob Andrews

I saw that and thought the poster was just goofing.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Rob

He was joking. It's why I put "ha-ha" when I'm joking. It ruins the joke, but I'm sort of an anti-comedy-comedy fan, like Andy Kaufman wrestling. ha-ha...Rob
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think a lot of people are very down on grading right now, for obvious reasons.

A lot of even mid grade cards have been altered, and none of the grading companies seem to be able to tell, which is their job.

That added to how much money some have probably lost probably makes people a bit afraid and cynical.

FWIW, the Yount looks really good to me.

All the late 70's Topps are difficult with nice centering. I've gone through loads of them too, more 78-81, but lots. I did some set building from vending for a dealer. Maybe 100,000 78's? I don't really recall just how many sets I put together for them. I do know with the way I sorted, I had no sets assembled then the offered a bonus for whoever could fill a 25 set order first. It didn't take me long at all as I had a deskfull of 100 card sections of sets.
In 25K 81's I had only maybe 150-200 were nice enough to even consider grading.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:28 PM
Rob

Here's a BVG 9 on eBay for $70 and a PSA 10 for $7650 I collected these from packs as a kid. There are a lot of 1977 Topps out there. I like nice looking 9's for under $100. I don't really understand the "10" designation. It's not an attack, just an observation and opinion about 1970's era Topps cards...Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps77yountbvg.jpg (76.4 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg topps77yountpsa10.jpg (79.0 KB, 360 views)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:16 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Here's a BVG 9 on eBay for $70 and a PSA 10 for $7650 I collected these from packs as a kid. There are a lot of 1977 Topps out there. I like nice looking 9's for under $100. I don't really understand the "10" designation. It's not an attack, just an observation and opinion about 1970's era Topps cards...Rob
I agree 100%. I have many 9s (even 8s) that I prefer to 10s all the time. I originally sold my other Yount 10 for a better looking 9. This partucular card has it all. The Yount is just tough to find without the print and focus issues.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:19 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I think a lot of people are very down on grading right now, for obvious reasons.

A lot of even mid grade cards have been altered, and none of the grading companies seem to be able to tell, which is their job.

That added to how much money some have probably lost probably makes people a bit afraid and cynical.

FWIW, the Yount looks really good to me.

All the late 70's Topps are difficult with nice centering. I've gone through loads of them too, more 78-81, but lots. I did some set building from vending for a dealer. Maybe 100,000 78's? I don't really recall just how many sets I put together for them. I do know with the way I sorted, I had no sets assembled then the offered a bonus for whoever could fill a 25 set order first. It didn't take me long at all as I had a deskfull of 100 card sections of sets.
In 25K 81's I had only maybe 150-200 were nice enough to even consider grading.
Thsi reminds me of my buddy Matt Morse when he was doing 81s. You can break 2 cases of racks and only end up with a dozen really special cards. With the cost of unopened product, it just doesn't pencil.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:20 PM
J0hn H@rper

Phil, I was joking. Between the two big grins and agreeing with you in the Rose thread, I thought you would notice. Not only that, but it's not the only thread where I've addressed you and appreciated your input (the other being my recent '52 Topps one).

But I'm not joking now when I say that I can't believe how uptight and negative some people are on those boards, and how quick they are to assume the worst.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:59 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
+1

I don't buy graded cards. But I agree. If I was trying to show off a card, and someone jumped in about possible flaws, that would be a real downer. I do like the monthly pickup threads, however. Those always seem to be rather positive places to post.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-02-2020, 05:24 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

It's just 3 or 4 jerk offs that have nothing better to do than "inform" the board about the scandal and voice their "opinion" over and over. I've added them to my ignore list, but people still quote their lunacy.

I can only hope they break some of the board's very few covenants and are banned for life. It would make for a much more pleasurable forum. At this point, I dont think anyone is turning a blind eye to trimmed cards in holders, but enough is enough already. They arent posting any new revelations or insight to the matter and add nothing to the board.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-02-2020, 06:22 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Not trying to be a jerk because I can sympathize but when you start a thread, you invite people to comment. You take the good with the bad.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:54 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Here's a BVG 9 on eBay for $70 and a PSA 10 for $7650..
I don't look at graded card prices very much so this sort of thing always amazes me.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I don't look at graded card prices very much so this sort of thing always amazes me.
Me too, is it really just about the registry and bragging rights?
Old 02-02-2020, 08:03 AM
Ben North

Don't be so sensitive, you shared a 1977 Robin Yount card. People share WAY better cards/items with out getting the WOW replies.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Not trying to be a jerk because I can sympathize but when you start a thread, you invite people to comment. You take the good with the bad.
This comment touches on my thoughts surrounding this topic. The volume of my posts is very small, and that is because if anything I want to say involves an opinion of any kind, it will invariably get responses which are argumentative, critical, or just smart ass, and usually poorly written at that. It seems too many people don't understand that opinions are not facts, and we should all be able to communicate respectfully. My ego is not so big that I think my opinion is right, and everyone else is stupid. If I can't respond, and perhaps question or disagree, in a respectful manner is a way which adds to a discussion, then I need to keep my mouth shut, and it is my opinion that others should too.

I once was the foreman on a jury. The gentlemen in question clearly committed all three offenses against the law of which he was accused. However, in coming to a consensus as a jury, there was one abstaining vote on one of the charges. Through lengthy, but thoughtful discussion, we finally found the heart of the concept and the verbiage by which the rest of us understood that juror's point, and reticence to convict on that charge. He was right. What had seemed so clear to the rest of us initially, through further examination, wasn't so cut and dried in the language of the law. Yes, he clearly did it, but in the language of the law it could not be deemed a certainty. It was a powerful moment, and one which I always try to remember when my opinion perhaps differs from others. I wish others would have a moment like that.

Last edited by Kurri17; 02-02-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:13 AM
St@n Go.len

Yeah i said theres room in the holder and I didn't like the top right edge and was called crazy lol.

I mean he asked for opinions which were given. Then he kinda lost his mind a little. He said he had a similar response about a video game he posted....Maybe the interweb is not the place for him idk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2020, 10:14 AM

When someone asks which one do you prefer, why shouldn't size matter? That is the first thing I look at over centering, corners, etc. I measure cards that I buy to make sure they are the correct size. This is the hobby we live in. It has been created by grading companies and certain dealers. However, I have been measuring cards since the 80s, so it really isn't all that new, just in the headlines lately.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:46 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
It's just 3 or 4 jerk offs that have nothing better to do than "inform" the board about the scandal and voice their "opinion" over and over. I've added them to my ignore list, but people still quote their lunacy.
One of them actually sold off his collection, and yet he has still chosen to remain here. He states how the hobby is doomed and how he made the right decision by selling off his collection because he is not going to be the one left holding the bag. He must have posted this about four thousand times, and I'm not joking here.

And then there is the other guy who is like a rottweiler on LSD. When he sees someone enjoying the hobby, he charges right at that person and bites him on the leg. There are people who don't even want to post on here anymore because of him.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
One of them actually sold off his collection, and yet he has still chosen to remain here. He states how the hobby is doomed and how he made the right decision by selling off his collection because he is not going to be the one left holding the bag. He must have posted this about four thousand times, and I'm not joking here.

And then there is the other guy who is like a rottweiler on LSD. When he sees someone enjoying the hobby, he charges right at that person and bites him on the leg. There are people who don't even want to post on here anymore because of him.
Yes. Although I don't know who you refer to here, I have met the types for sure.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:19 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Me too, is it really just about the registry and bragging rights?
That PSA 10 Yount card may be for sale by Sports Cards Forever. That fellows cards are always priced 5-10x beyond where the rest of us reside.

I'm not a registry guy--not even a little. Certain 70's cards may offer more of a challenge to a discerning collector than you might be aware.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:32 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

Rottweiler on LSD, LOL, who is that? I would like to find and read their posts for a great laugh. I find those posts as funny as the ones making excuses or down playing the scandal.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
Thsi reminds me of my buddy Matt Morse when he was doing 81s. You can break 2 cases of racks and only end up with a dozen really special cards. With the cost of unopened product, it just doesn't pencil.
The big batch of 81s came from a store closing auction and only cost $5.. Fun stuff.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Phil, as I'm sure you're aware I was also joking. Your Yount is gorgeous. I agree that people are way too quick to jump to conclusions. It's absurd.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:21 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I think you could argue that about any era though, no?

Quote:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
I think you could argue that about any era though, no?
True of every era, indeed. Yes, I know you were joking, Lol
Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Mob Mentality On Chatboards

It’s hard to blame people for being paranoid about grading, and PSA in particular at the moment. I can see where the mob mentality creeps in particularly with so many unanswered questions.

And the sketchiness with PSA is not just limited to the alteration topic. Checkout Vintage Card Curator on YouTube, and his “discovery videos” about PSA bias, for example how rarely they give 10’s to key cards in lieu of 9’s in comparison to other cards in the set. I’ve seen enough stuff like that lately to make me pretty sour on grading in general, before even worrying that a particular card is altered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-05-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:35 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

You clearly missed my point. "OMG he mentioned a video game?!?!". I was trying to illustrate that people in these threads jump to conclusions, just to sound smart a lot of times, IMO. That was me losing my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Yeah i said theres room in the holder and I didn't like the top right edge and was called crazy lol.

I mean he asked for opinions which were given. Then he kinda lost his mind a little. He said he had a similar response about a video game he posted....Maybe the interweb is not the place for him idk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
The big batch of 81s came from a store closing auction and only cost $5.. Fun stuff.
Man, would that be fun. I bought a collection a couple of years ago that had tens of thousands of cards from the true junk wax era. I'm talking stuff like 1991 Pro Set FB in a 5,000 count box. I told the seller I didn't want them at all and wouldn't pay a dime for them but if he wanted to get rid of them so he could empty the storage locker, I would haul them away and have them recycled. I was right: my local card store did not want them even for free. I had a lot of fun going through the boxes before I chucked it all. I think I held onto a few cards I liked from the era from an aesthetic standpoint.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-04-2020 at 01:20 PM.