NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Need help appraising my Ty Cobb card

I have a Ty Cobb red portrait piedmont 150 subject card that I was given as a gift and I am looking for more information about this card. I have looked for a similar one and can only find this series with the green background. Is this a common Ty Cobb card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.3 KB, 592 views)
Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 PM

The back of the card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.1 KB, 585 views)
Scott S

Hi, unfortunately it is a reprint card. The borders and the appearance on the front are a dead giveaway that this is a reprint. Sorry to break the news....
Zach

Hate to break it to you... but that is a reprint.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Hate to break it to you... but that is a reprint.
My guess is that the original poster already knows this and was hoping for someone to PM him an offer. The story is too generic.

p.aul m1f5ud

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Since 4 screw down cases are scarce anymore, I will offer to buy it for $1 and you can keep the card
Old 04-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Robert Williams

Agreed...the card is a fake. The screw down holder is worth more than the card!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Agreed...the card is a fake. The screw down holder is worth more than the card!
"screw down holder" is becoming the new "Ohio"!!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Daryl

That holder is in a bit better shape than this one.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
bR@dY ThuRsT0N

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
My guess is that the original poster already knows this and was hoping for someone to PM him an offer. The story is too generic.

p.aul m1f5ud
+1
Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's a nice holder. Since I need one for my registry set of holders I'll go $2. But only if I can send it back if it doesn't get a 9.

Steve B
Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's a nice holder. Since I need one for my registry set of holders I'll go $2. But only if I can send it back if it doesn't get a 9.

Steve B
I have a pristine screw down holder, but vintage. Extremely rare version, only one like it. L@@K!!! LOL.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post

p.aul m1f5ud
Hopefully not, that would be unethical.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 PM
FredYoung

The fact the OP isn't back cursing everyone out for their stupidity & calling Net 54 a waste of his time indicates he was "trolling". Fact is, the fishing is much better most any other place than here.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:49 AM

Thank you. I really had no idea I'm not trying "trolling" but thanks for the rude remarks. My son was given this as a baptism gift from his god father at the time and the ass wipe claimed this was worth "tons" of money and he is a lying sack of shit most of the time so I was just curious if my motherly instincts were correct or not! Thank you all for your input even if half of you were being jerks about it.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:39 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barthr13 View Post
Thank you. I really had no idea I'm not trying "trolling" but thanks for the rude remarks. My son was given this as a baptism gift from his god father at the time and the ass wipe claimed this was worth "tons" of money and he is a lying sack of shit most of the time so I was just curious if my motherly instincts were correct or not! Thank you all for your input even if half of you were being jerks about it.
I thought some of the remarks were somewhat harsh, but understand that we see A LOT of scams in our hobby. I would bet that there are very few of us here that have never been scammed.

That being said, the card is a reprint, but congratulations on the baptism of your son. My only advice is to enjoy him while he is young because TIME FLIES and he will be an adult before you know it
Old 04-26-2014, 05:51 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
In fairness to the OP this isn't the same level of card as that crook with the D304 Cobb showed up with on here. Even if legit this Cobb above is worth much less than 1K. Unfortunately, of course, it's an obvious fake.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Only half were jerks, we are improving!! You tell 'em, mom. Your motherly instincts were correct and his God Father hasn't changed his stripes.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 AM

Thank you everyone! I completely understand where you are all coming from. I have an extreme love for baseball just not familiar in any sense with baseball cards so I do appreciate you clicking and taking the time to look at the forum.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:36 AM
K Farrell

OK so at the risk of being a jerk, I'm not buying the God father story although we can leave what my extended family thinks of think of me out of this. In the original post, you say that you have found the green version of this Cobb, but not the red. A simple eBay search turns up tons of Cobb cards - more red than green, of course - and a crazy amount of reprints. At the very least, you had to know that the card was suspect before posting and left that out. Sorry dude. Kev.in

Last edited by Leon; 04-26-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: name added per rules
Old 04-26-2014, 10:56 AM

Yes you sound like a jerk. And I did do a search on ebay and saw nothing hence why I asked here bc I know nothing at all about baseball cards. Thanks again to those of you that helped and weren't rude/ being a jerk about it.

rach.ael Ba.rth

Last edited by Leon; 04-26-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: name added per rules
Old 04-26-2014, 11:14 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Since the op is unfamiliar with these she probably did a search for "piedmont
150 Cobb" and most of them (all the real ones for sure) would be green portraits which are printed in the 150 series and the red portraits are not.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Yes you sound like a jerk. And I did do a search on ebay and saw nothing hence why I asked here bc I know nothing at all about baseball cards. Thanks again to those of you that helped and weren't rude/ being a jerk about it.
There are a lot of jerks everywhere. Grow a thicker skin, ignore what they have to say and they will go away.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Rachael

No disrespect meant to you since you know your child's god father(and I dont) but maybe he truly believed it was real and worth a lot of money, in which case he was trying to give an excellent gift for your child's baptism.

Since the Baptism is a part of what is necessary to reach Heaven, I wouldn't then think of him as a "lying .... of ....". If his heart was in the right place, he just needs to be educated before giving such an opinion of the fake card.

Sorry, if I may be overstepping on your parenting here. Not meant to be.