NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Default Are you still a collector ?

Posted By: Rich Klein

We were discussing this at the office yesterday:

If for whatever reason: financial, personal, or other -- you sell your collection. Hal; please note this has nothing to do with your selling of your collection.

Regards
Rich

Old 04-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

YES! I think there are quite a few on this board,myself included, that have sold their collections and came back to collecting again. You can sell and walk away but if you enjoy collecting you can always come back. Just cost more to get in.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Rich, good question.

IMO for the collector -one that started in adolescence, they may take long breaks but revert to our childhood automisms to recapture that feeling. I'm in it for life.

On another note, Due to budget constraints (I'm blue-collar) and to keep the home tranquil, I have to liquidate several beaters before going back on safari. I realize this cardboard orgy can be addictive and struggle often to prevent impulse buying.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

Willie Mays hasn't played in 30 plus years but is there anyone who wouldn't identify him as a baseball player?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

First, "Hal; please note this has nothing to do with your selling of your collection."
- I don't understand the need for this caveat. Why single one person out? Strange.

And yes, I'm still a collector. I love putting together old sets, the thrill of finding cards I need, and also collecting Matty cards.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

In fairness to Rich, Hal publicly stated that he was liquidating his collection, so I think it was prudent of Rich to make that comment.

As for the question, I think once you're bitten by the collecting bug you remain a collector even without a collection. And does any true collector not keep at least one card if they sell off their collection?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've saved some of my favorite pieces from my collecting days, but most I have sold and I virtually never add anything anymore. I agree with Jeff that there is still a little bit of the collector in me, but I've made some financial decisions, and one is the money means more to me than the objects. I'm getting older and after 25 years in the business I don't get quite the thrill I once did from baseball memorabilia. I much prefer to buy and sell. Things change in life, and I know that those days are behind me. And I'm at peace with that decision.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I have no problem with the post at all...

and I still consider myself (and always will) a COLLECTOR.

I just happen to be a collector who needs to sell at this point in time.

Hopefully I will be back in the near future.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You will be back, my friend. About the time you come back I know a type card collection that could interest you ......I hope you keep posting some and lurking on the board. No one has ever been more passionate about proving their case than you.....I think you might have cheated and had help from your legal staff though.....

Old 04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

I agree with Jeff, being a collector is a state of mind and it doesn't even matter if you don't have a collection. If you enjoy collecting, talking about collecting, enjoy baseball, and baseball memorabilia, then you are a collector irregardless of whether you have a collection.

Peter

Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

always a collector.
It is a diagnosed medical condition for which there is thought to be no cure.

It can go into remission, if the "bug" decides to hibernate. However, the Collecting Bug IS a permanent resident in the bloodstream of its host, and a dormant infection will oftentimes become re-activated in response to emotional trauma, such as marriage or mid-life crisis.

There is no verified medical proof or documented evidence of how the Collecting Bug is transmitted from person to person; however, it is known to be highly contagious and often transmitted from parents to children. There is no known instances of carrier hosts. Every infected person exhibits the characteristic symptoms.

Collecting is a permanent condition for which there is no cure. Only an extreme lack of funds can be gauranteed to send the bug into remission. Please collect responsibly, and always wear a penny sleeve and top loader.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

An illustration of the point that once a collector, always a collector: I started buying cards probaly by age 5-6. Discovered Rentata Galasso in 78 at age 13 and bought full sets through her until 82. Around that time Topps, Fleer and Donruss were available through retail means. Mainly I was interested in Topps, nothing vintage, just bought set after newly-minted set. I took a hibernation on the hobby from 86 or so until 96 when I discovered ebay. Filled in all of my Topps sets then. Discovered this damn forum and many, many, many large dollars later have become a darling of the auction houses. I've spent more on certain cards than I did on the first NEW car I bought. The more money I make, the more goes to cards. The point is, you can be away from the hobby for sometime...a lot of time, perhaps. But in the end, it will grab you by the throat and drag you back whether you like it or not.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

As I've mentioned before, because I handle so much interesting material it sort of takes care of my collecting fix. When someone consigns a nice group of cards or memorabilia I'm free to enjoy it for the month or two I have it, but I don't feel the need to own it. I'm more than happy to pack it up one day and send it to the winning bidder. Plus, I handle more stuff than I could ever afford so it gives me a luxury many others don't have.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Barry,

You forgot to mention the importance of this Board in helping you with your habit. It's interesting that you mention getting your collecting fix...hmmm.

Naw, you will always be a collector at heart.

Peter

Old 04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I started when I was 5, quit when I was about 11 or so. Started back up when I was about 35. That is when the pre war bug bit me. But out of the thousands of cards I own, I have only sold a half dozen or so. Ones that no longer fit my agenda, or when I upgraded. But my life would have to suffer a complete financial meltdown, before I would ever part with the vast majority of my collection. There are always other ways to handle financial difficulties without having to resort to selling "collectibles". First off, it seems that if the funds are desperately need, you settle for less than what they are actually worth, because you become desperate, and buyers pick up on that quickly. and then many times, the sold items can never be replaced. Once they are gone, they are gone. .....

Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

That's a good point Peter.

There's no question the board has helped my business, but in a way it's a hobby too. I really do enjoy posting and interacting with other people.