NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2018, 07:09 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Default Justice Served!

Here is a link to a scumbag that was served justice. Leon hopefully this is ok to post in this section. I reported this guy to Ebay and was eventually contacted by US postal inspector who was gathering info. to nail this guy. Glad to hear the end result of this one.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/91...a3539bb6b.html
Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 PM

Were the cards sold raw or were they placed in flips and passed off as graded originals?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Glad they nabbed him. Wish they would nab more. Great story.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Were the cards sold raw or were they placed in flips and passed off as graded originals?
They were placed in fake slabs. Here is a link from another forum where I originally posted it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ted-on-ebay/p1
Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Bill

Just one more reason I LOATHE all reprints.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

I can't imagine wiring over 100k into someone's account that I've never dealt with before. Also, how is making a large withdrawal money laundering? I'm assuming there's more to that charge than is mentioned in the article.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Joshua

Sounds like that psa 7 t206 green Cobb that was on eBay for a little bit. Watching that fake one made me want to buy a real (much cheaper) one. Haha
Old 04-03-2018, 05:02 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I can't imagine wiring over 100k into someone's account that I've never dealt with before. Also, how is making a large withdrawal money laundering? I'm assuming there's more to that charge than is mentioned in the article.
I wondered the same thing. Here's an article that explains it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/29/when...own-money.html

Basically you can't withdraw amounts over or near 10,000 without filling out forms, and if you do, don't lie about the reasons.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:53 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
I wondered the same thing. Here's an article that explains it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/29/when...own-money.html

Basically you can't withdraw amounts over or near 10,000 without filling out forms, and if you do, don't lie about the reasons.
Yep, learned about that bat sheep crazy law the hard way once. It is the same with depositing cash. You also have to report over 10K in cash while traveling. It is not illegal to have the cash, you just have to report it.

Also strangely enough if the PoPo takes your legally obtained cash you have to hire a lawyer to get it back and it is not an easy process.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Bank Secrecy Act

The Bank Secrecy Act, which is enforced by the Secret Service, was put in place to prevent money laundering. If you go to a Post Office to purchase money orders, any purchase totalling $3000 or more requires you to fill out a form that is electronically transmitted to the Secret Service. The same thing is supposed to happen if you go to your bank and withdraw $3000 or more in cash.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
The Bank Secrecy Act, which is enforced by the Secret Service, was put in place to prevent money laundering. If you go to a Post Office to purchase money orders, any purchase totalling $3000 or more requires you to fill out a form that is electronically transmitted to the Secret Service. The same thing is supposed to happen if you go to your bank and withdraw $3000 or more in cash.
Never heard of that law. I have recently withdrawn more than 3K at a bank and a credit union and they just handed me the cash. I have only ever had a problem with over 10K the one time before I knew the law.

EDIT: To stay somewhat on track it is nice to see the scammer got busted.

Last edited by bnorth; 04-03-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Jeff Lar.son

I think 3000 was the original amount. It's definitely 10,000 now.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
I think 3000 was the original amount. It's definitely 10,000 now.
I worked in a bank in the early 90's and 10K was the law then as well. Bank employees are trained to look for multiple cash withdrawals/deposits that exceed 10K in a short period of time as well. I would imagine nearly thirty years later, their systems automatically alert them to such activity. And if you walk in and ask to withdraw $9,999 you'll be reported as well.

This is a great story, but how about doing something to eBay for allowing so many people to sell unauthorized reprints. Isn't eBay culpable here since they're making money off of counterfeit goods?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Browns View Post
Just one more reason I LOATHE all reprints.
In my mind, any card that is not stamped Reprint in one way or another is a counterfeit/fake, not a reprint

So if someone is selling a '54 Topps Hank Aaron for example, if it doesn't say reprint on the card and wasn't produced by Topps, then it should be fraud.

I'm not an intellectual property attorney, but that seems like common sense to me.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:41 AM
je.sse @rnot

I was under the impression that transactions over 10k automatically get reported and knew that making several transactions just below this threshold to avoid reporting was illegal. It just struck me as a strange charge in this case. He easily could have just said the money was from the sale of baseball cards. I did not realize he was required to also report the withdrawal.

So if I buy a card over 10k by writing a check, wire transfer, or by pulling cash out to buy in person am I required to file a separate form or potentially face a similar charge?
Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Rob

No...It's only a cash reporting requirement. If you aren't paying or receiving in cash, you don't have to report.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
T0dd M@rcum

If revenge is a dish best served cold, what temperature is justice properly served at?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Craig L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I was under the impression that transactions over 10k automatically get reported and knew that making several transactions just below this threshold to avoid reporting was illegal. It just struck me as a strange charge in this case. He easily could have just said the money was from the sale of baseball cards. I did not realize he was required to also report the withdrawal.

So if I buy a card over 10k by writing a check, wire transfer, or by pulling cash out to buy in person am I required to file a separate form or potentially face a similar charge?
The current $10K reporting is cash withdrawal, deposits as well as payments such as to your mortgage. Transactions are daily
You activity will still be reported. Who cares as long as not funding terrorists, drug dealing, etc. A good chunk of comes from the Patriot Act.
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back
Old 04-03-2018, 05:21 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlankf View Post
The current $10K reporting is cash withdrawal, deposits as well as payments such as to your mortgage. Transactions are daily
You activity will still be reported. Who cares as long as not funding terrorists, drug dealing, etc. A good chunk of comes from the Patriot Act.
This is how former Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert got caught. He kept repeatedly withdrawing just under $10,000 in cash (I think around $300k total) in order to pay off the guy he had sexually abused when he (Hastert) was a high school wrestling coach. When the Secret Service asked him about it, in what they assumed would be a routine inquiry, he didn’t have a good explanation of what the money was for.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:31 PM
je.sse @rnot

I think I've only pulled out 10k plus a couple of times in cash. Hopefully the bank satisfied my reporting requirements. I'm pretty sure I wasn't funding drug dealers or terrorists, but I suppose you never really know what another person might be up to in their spare time.