NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 AM
Tony

Default possible scam; what are my options?

I am trying to be proactive; lets assume I don't get same card in return or a empty envelope. What is my recourse?

Quote:
We've asked the buyer to ship the item back by Jun 20. Wait until you get the item back before issuing a refund.
You should wait until you get the item back before you refund the buyer. Please ensure that you issue the refund within 6 business days of the item being delivered. If the buyer doesn't send the item back by Jun 20 we may close this return.

Here's what the buyer said

Reason

Just didn't like it

Comments

The card is beautiful but I didn t realize how overextended I became this past month with my expenses. I could really use this $110 for bills. I also didn t realize there was such a noticeable smudge on the back of the card. Sorry for the inconvenience..
Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 AM
Glyn Parson

Nothing there reads scam to me. Why do you think it is? What does his feedback look like? By reading it not just looking at numbers because you can’t ding buyers. I wouldn’t worry about it honestly if you have a problem when it comes back I’d contact eBay who probably won’t do much but I’d at least do that. But honestly don’t stress over something that hasn’t even happend yet. There’s enough stress on real stuff, no need to make more up that may not even exist.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 AM
Larry More.y

I do not see any signs of a scam either...in most cases, if it was a scam, they would return it via a NAD claim in order to return on your dime. In this case, they will be returning at their cost. Also, on buyer's remorse returns ("just didn't like'), you can refund just the cost of the item and not the original s/h that was paid by the buyer.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 AM
Rob

Agree with others...Seem like a pretty sincere and well thought out explanation to be a scam. This is life when you offer returns.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:47 AM
Bry@n

If you are worried, I would take a video of the package when it arrives, showing the label and that it is still sealed. Then open it on the video without taking it off camera. I've never had to use this but it is some protection. You can also open it in front of the postal employee who delivers it, but trying to set that up for a $110 card might be too much effort.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Tony. Biviano

What is your return policy? Buyers remorse is not a reason to acceot a return.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
I am trying to be proactive; lets assume I don't get same card in return or a empty envelope. What is my recourse?
There's a difference between being proactive and worrying before it's time to worry. Life is hard enough without unnecessarily adding the latter.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Luke Lyon

If you offer 30-day returns, this is just par for the course. I've only had a couple returns since offering it, and both were just like this. One guy was hoping the colors on the card would be more intense or something, and the other just didn't read the description fully and missed a hard-to-see wrinkle.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
What is your return policy? Buyers remorse is not a reason to acceot a return.
I don't think you can put caveats in your return policy.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Paul

Last summer, I was an ebay seller who had a refund decision go against me. The buyer was instructed to return the card and I got an empty envelope. Knowing it was a scam -- he claimed a T206 card I sold him raw was fake -- I took a video of my opening it. I posted about how I handled it, and then copied and pasted below.

This is what happened:

I lost my appeal from PayPal, they closed the case and they released the funds to the perpetrator.

I called PayPal back, following the instructions here:

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/contact/call

I calmly explained that I was extremely upset, and I was contacting government authorities to open a criminal and civil investigation of PayPal and the eBay user. They reversed or cancelled the decision on appeal, and re-opened the case to give me a chance to upload police reports/complaints, etc.

I uploaded the police blotter from my local PD. I then filed a complaint with the USPS and FBI (Internet Crimes Complaint Center), and uploaded a copy of the submitted complaints. If you get in the same mess, you can click either of these links to get you started. It was very straightforward.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/form/file-online-complaint

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I also sent the complaints directly via email to the perpetrator. And every time something would happen from these government agencies and they would send me an update on my claims, I would forward those to the perpetrator as well. I kept it as professional and non-argumentative as possible. This was my email to the guy:

"I have filed formal complaints with the FBI Internet Crime Division, the USPS Office of Inspector General, and my local police department. Copies of the FBI and USPS claims are attached. I will send you the police department blotter under separate cover. Finally, I will be uploading copies of all of the complaints on PayPal's Dispute Resolution Center landing page, and I will be sharing with your local police department in Folsam, CA."

That was it. No threats. No anger.

Two things happened almost immediately after this:

(1) I got my first ever email from the perpetrator. He wrote, "your a phyco path dude" (his grammar and spelling, not mine) and told me he was told to destroy the card by ebay and would now instead send me the card back, which he miraculously did. I believe he did not follow what ebay (purportedly) instructed him to do because he knew it was the real deal all along!

(2) PayPal refunded my money!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-14-2018, 02:12 PM
Tony

Thanks for all the replies; it definitely helps me feel better about this situation. and yep I am a worry wort and need not worry about it and just call it cost of doing business. I guess I read about all the scammers out there and just figured this was another one.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Last summer, I was an ebay seller who had a refund decision go against me. The buyer was instructed to return the card and I got an empty envelope. Knowing it was a scam -- he claimed a T206 card I sold him raw was fake -- I took a video of my opening it. I posted about how I handled it, and then copied and pasted below.

This is what happened:

I lost my appeal from PayPal, they closed the case and they released the funds to the perpetrator.

I calmly explained that I was extremely upset, and I was contacting government authorities to open a criminal and civil investigation of PayPal and the eBay user. They reversed or cancelled the decision on appeal, and re-opened the case to give me a chance to upload police reports/complaints, etc.

I uploaded the police blotter from my local PD. I then filed a complaint with the USPS and FBI (Internet Crimes Complaint Center), and uploaded a copy of the submitted complaints. If you get in the same mess, you can click either of these links to get you started. It was very straightforward.

I also sent the complaints directly via email to the perpetrator. And every time something would happen from these government agencies and they would send me an update on my claims, I would forward those to the perpetrator as well. I kept it as professional and non-argumentative as possible. This was my email to the guy:

"I have filed formal complaints with the FBI Internet Crime Division, the USPS Office of Inspector General, and my local police department. Copies of the FBI and USPS claims are attached. I will send you the police department blotter under separate cover. Finally, I will be uploading copies of all of the complaints on PayPal's Dispute Resolution Center landing page, and I will be sharing with your local police department in Folsam, CA."

(1) I got my first ever email from the perpetrator. He wrote, "your a phyco path dude" (his grammar and spelling, not mine) and told me he was told to destroy the card by ebay and would now instead send me the card back, which he miraculously did. I believe he did not follow what ebay (purportedly) instructed him to do because he knew it was the real deal all along!

this is really good info. thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Default Info , please

Is he still on E-Bay buying raw T-206's or did PayPal/E-Bay cancel his account ? Thanks...
Old 06-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Al Richter

T 206– unfortunately for him you were a tenacious pysco path dude
Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
I then filed a complaint with the USPS and FBI (Internet Crimes Complaint Center), and uploaded a copy of the submitted complaints. If you get in the same mess, you can click either of these links to get you started. It was very straightforward.

Very helpful, thanks for sharing Paul!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

This is what happened:

Thank you for doing that.

I only wish more would.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 PM
Rob

Quote:

So you got the card and kept the perps money?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:21 AM

Paul,

Thanks for going to all that trouble. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Scot
Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post

That is Ebay policy. Ebay leaves it up to you whether you will give a refund. Changing one's mind is not a valid excuse to return an item
Old 06-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
That is Ebay policy. Ebay leaves it up to you whether you will give a refund. Changing one's mind is not a valid excuse to return an item
Actually, it is.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Actually, it is.
Bust a deal.....

Old 06-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Actually, it is.
Unfortunate but true. I could maybe see it (changed mind) on a fixed price item but not an auction. That is messed up unless it was a SNAD.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Read Ebays return policy. Returning a card damaged or not described is an automatic return. Ebay states that buyers who changed their minds have to notify the seller and ask for a return. It also states to check the sellers return policy. So it is not a given that buyers remorse goes in favor of the buyer.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Read Ebays return policy. Returning a card damaged or not described is an automatic return. Ebay states that buyers who changed their minds have to notify the seller and ask for a return. It also states to check the sellers return policy. So it is not a given that buyers remorse goes in favor of the buyer.

In any case except where a seller offers "no returns", buyers remorse is a valid reason for return.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
One of those instances where policy and practice are two different things.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
In any case except where a seller offers "no returns", buyers remorse is a valid reason for return.
And, if the seller does offer returns, a buyer's remorse return is automatically "approved" w/o the sellers consent. However, in a case such as this, the buyer is responsible for the cost of returning and the seller is not obligated to refund any of the original s/h paid by the buyer. In other words, the buyer is only compensated for the item itself and is on the hook for s/h both ways.

With "free returns", my understanding is that the seller is able to approve all returns. This would be especially important with lower dollar items as the return s/h may cost the seller more than the item itself so ebay allows the seller the option to refund and let the buyer keep the item.

Rarely, have I had this happen, but this past week I had a buyer "not like" a $2 card. They paid $3 for the original s/h, and as I do not offer free returns, $2.66 to return the item. As the return was automatically approved, all I could do was scratch my head as this guy is out $5.66 and has no card????

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 06-20-2018 at 12:46 PM.