NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default As things evolve....your current focus on collecting pre-war?

Posted By: Trae R.

Ed, I received an email from a gentleman that came into possession of 160+ T206 recently (dunno if it is a "find" or not), but 27 of them have the Howe McCormick stamp! He said he'd sell (told him about you) so I am going to put you in touch with him to work out the details.

I've sent you an email, but if you didn't receive it please drop me a line: trae@t206.org

---
"There ain't much to being a ballplayer, if you're a ballplayer."
-Honus Wagner

Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

In response to the title of this post, my focus hasn't changed.

If I like it and I can afford it, I buy it.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I've scaled back my spending due to the economy. I work for a semiconductor company that supplies parts to the automotive industry, so things are more than a little slow. I was hard charging after the Novelty Cutlery & PC796 Sepia postcard sets, but that's on the back burner for now. Currently trying to complete the M101-3 Sporting News postcard set. Only need the Vean Gregg, & Johnson/Street postcards for that, & I do have a deal pending for Gregg. Also, I'm collecting Grignon Cubs, Fro Joy Tunney & authentic Fro Joy Ruth's, low grade e90-1, Fan Craze, W502, & W575-2. Doesn't sound like I'm spending less, but I'm trying.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

Try as I might, I have not been able to develop any remote desire to collect what most of you guys do. I've looked and looked and have been impressed with scans of cards from "way back when", but still no bells go off for me. I have no connection to the player or players and I find the cost of anything north of a PSA 4 in many cases is out of my league. I do however enjoy the posts by everyone (except for the whiny crap) and have learned a lot by just reading.

I have my little 55 Topps collection (13th on the Registry) and a ton of Red Sox cards that give me pleasure and that's where I focus my interest and $$. I also think in some strange way I'm trying to relive those magical days when my dad would take me to Fenway in the early 50s. Dad is long gone, but the memories endure, perhaps that's why the 55 Topps set really grabbed me...relatively easy to collect, only 206 cards and when displayed in a case (I built one) that is attached to a wall in my "man cave", I can easily glance over and relive having seen almost all of them play in Fenway. I watch every Red Sox game via Directv on my 50" HD plasma, which brings an incredible picture. When every game begins I always look to deep center field right next to the 420' sign, very close to the Red Sox bullpen, this is where I was many, many times as a kid. It just has wonderful memories for me. That is my connection to the game and collecting. A zillion packs of 55 Topps with that big slab of pink gum went through my fingers...even the girls would give me their cards, they just wanted the gum. OH but OHHHH to know then what I know now!!! I'd be living far, far from Atlanta, like Tahiti!

I realize the rarity of the earlier cards, but I just can't warm up to them. Undoubtedly those earlier cards give much pleasure to those of you who collect them. I stay busy and happy doing my little Red Sox thing.

GL to all in your collecting endeavors.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

"A confession: recently - I have found myself, on more than one occasion, considering selling all my baseball cards - and focussing solely on vintage golf cards."

Whew, at least you've given up clowns....

As for me, I've stopped putting together high grade sets as the costs associated with buying the commons was too great relative to my enjoyment of such cards. I now focus almost exclusively on cards/exhibits/PCs of Cobb, Chase, M. Brown, Jennings, Donlin, McGraw, Matty, Greenberg and Koufax.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I have gone thru this many times. 1st of all I collect only Detroit 19th century right now. I started in the early 1970's. Collected everything, cards, bobbing heads all types of memoribilia. I had complete sets of baseball 1967 thru 1990 and sold those years ago, I had over 150 Bobbing heads. black face, both Mantles and both Maris, I had a near set of HOF statues, missing only the Foxx, those are sold. I still have a complete set of Hartland statues, those will probably be gone shortly. I will keep my Detroit T206, T207, S74 silks sets. I also have many large photos and advertisents Detroit, holding those for now. Also still keeping my Wolverine and Dietsche postcards. But only buying N172 and N173, any other Detroit 19th Century right now.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Since the economic meltdown, I have began to focus very narrowly. I'm only looking for cards that "move me." Since the 19th Century auction with the PCL cards (I bought two in that auction), I have acquired two cards in total - one by trade and one by purchase (from B & L auctions). I am also mid-way through an acquisition of a card that really "moves me." The acquisition of this third card should be complete in a month.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank L.

I am sticking to before 1930, especially E90-1, specific T 206, old judges. Got a Plow Candy but not great condition. Also beginning to get early 20th century minor leagues.

Frank L.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Things evolved for me a few years ago and I remain focused on players born in Nebraska. It's very exciting for me to chase down an Al Bool card. wink.gif

Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

Wow, this thread was bumped tonight from a year back it seems.

Al, nice post on your Red Sox memories. For me, my connection back to the "dead ball" era was a chance meeting as a young man back in the early 80's or so at a card show in Boston (I am sure it was the GBSC show) and while looking for 50's and 60's Topps and Bowmans, we (myself, my Dad and Uncle) noticed an older gentleman in the autograph area getting little attention.

To make a long story short, the gentleman was Smokey Joe Wood and we spent a good half hour talking to him. He had all of his scrap-books from his playing days and was a joy to talk to. I was young and I know I would probably appreciate that meeting more now but I remember it and remember what a gentleman he was and that helped me connect to that era.

I also had a great Uncle who was an usher at Fenway from the 20's to the 50's who would tell me first hand stories from those days including being present at Fenway during the Ruth and Championship era from 1915-18. But mostly it was that half hour or so with Smokey Joe that really helps me connect.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Heh. I didn't even notice this was an old thread, but I was thinking to myself that this thread somehow escaped my attention.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

How ironic that I'm now collecting the opposite of the way I predicted I would 1 year ago. As prices have come back to earth I've returned to type collecting on a small scale hoping to aquire e99/e103/e105/t214/t215/t216 types to complete my runs...and am looking for green/violet e94 murray and continuing to buy cards I like.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Michael: That is totally golden that you were able to hang with Ol' Smokey Joe. That's a memory I'd like to have; it's a safe bet you'll never forget it. Calls to my mind my eight word "conversation" outside Yankee Stadium with Hank Greenberg when I was six or seven. Fifty years later I am there in my mind's eye. I am not sure but I don't think you've been on the board a long time, so I will take this opportunity to post this M116 Wood in case you haven't seen it. I trot it out from time to time at the risk of inciting the wrath of fed-up board members. So no one else look, just Michael.

[linked image]

Holy Moses! Vintage cards, scantily-clad Polynesian maidens, plenty penguins, authentic Dutch people and more.
(BBHoF album updated, new E93 album, Duke Kamanawanaleia pix, NYG T205 sub-set)
http://ImageEvent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika
Password=aloha

Edited to sound like less of an a-hole

Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Carota

Sorry David, I looked. happy.gif

I recently stopped my brief pursuit of the T210 set to focus solely on my Red Sox type collection (1902-1969, backs included.)

Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

E121 series of 120 and 80 Yankees and giants. Basically a 1921 World series set in E121. Elmer Miller, and t207 cubs

Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Geez, I guess I still thought it was 2008. happy.gif

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

David, I had not yet seen that card -- really incredible.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Since my last post on this thread, I have abandoned the Victoria Obak team set, and come within 1 card of completing the "completable" part of my Toronto collection. I finished 2008 needing 1 C46 (McGinley) and 2 Old Judges (that I never expect to own).

In early January, I decided that once I tracked down McGinley (thus having all 13 Toronto C46s), I'd go after the rest of the C46 set. Thanks to a monster trade and a couple of small purchases, I found McGinley and have quickly rocketed from 12 C46s on January 1, to 33 as of today. A deal for another 8 is pending. I am also slowly starting to collect baseball card publications that contain C46 articles, and am considering collecting stadium postcards of the 8 teams featured in the set.

With a mix of PSA, SGC, GAI and raw cards, the question that remains to be answered is what "kind" of set I'm building. I love the idea of having a full 90-card set stored in 6 15-pocket "t-card" pages, with the various publications stored in the same binder -- but am not keen on the idea of cracking out the cards that I have acquired already graded. I figure I have another 30-40 more cards to go before I really have to decide that part.

Regards,

Richard.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

David,

Thanks for showing that M116 Wood. Outstanding! I still need that card for my Red Sox subset so count me as very jealous. I have only been posting on the board for about 8 months. lurked for awhile before that but I have also gone back and read quite a bit of the old threads so I think I saw that one once before while checking out some old threads.

Anyway, thanks again and I sure would like to go back to that meeting with Smokey Joe with my current knowledge of that era and pick his brain. Would be fun.

Jason, nice project working on the Sox from 02-69 and the backs. I have to tell you good luck with the backs. The Monster backs will keep you busy for awhile along with T-205. I am not going for the backs, just a front guy and my current sickness is the e-94 color variations! I gotta have them all and that entails two of the more popular guys in the set, Cicotte and Speaker. Yikes.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

David,

That may just be my favorite card in the hobby.

Has anyone ever seen any other signed M116's? Just curious.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bilko G

I knew something was up when i saw Addie_Joss posting, wasn't he banned for scamming like 11 months ago? LOL

Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Nothing, absolutely nothing.I personally cant justify collecting anything given the recent economic climate. I've always done it on a fairly tight budget anyway..
Pcelli60

Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

The last entry on this thread was February 14, 2008, followed by a post a year and a day later on February 15, 2009. So it kind of seamlessly continued without posters realizing the passage of a whole year.

Edited as Joann found a typo...glad nobody saw it!!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Edward F

Greetings,

I am new to the board but I have been reading the forums for sometime now. I have been collecting Pre-war cards for a couple of years now. I started collecting 1939,40,41 playball sets. Realizing that they are going to cost a lot more money than I anticipated to get the major HOFers in the set so, I narrowed my intrest to only the Boston Bees and the Boston Braves cards.

I then changed focus yet again and started to get really deep into the 1955 Topps set and sold all my Pre-war cards to fund my High Grade 55's. I currently have 205 of 206 cards for a PSA 7 or better set. I am just missing Gene Freese (Pirates) and I will have a complete set. As my set approaches completion my attention is again going to my one true love Pre-War cards.

I am at this moment focusing only on the T206 that are Boston Nationals NL (Atlanta Braves). I figure I can not go wrong with trying to collect one of the oldest teams in Baseball and besides its my home team so its a win/win for me.

After my 55' is complete I will be slowly working on a 1956 Topps complete set respectfully. However, my intrest will mainly be focused on the Pre-war Braves.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

It's funny that this came up, as I was just asking some friends of mine a similar question! I have always chased every card that came along it seemed, but my collection was just getting too big, especially considering I'm in the military and have to move it every 2-3 years. I really like T202s, so that was an easy call to continue working towards that set.

I also like 1952 Topps, but mostly for the beauty of them as opposed to the big names. The part I had trouble with was that even if I could afford a Mantle and other HOFers, they wouldn't do anything for me outside of the aesthetics of a nice-looking 1952 card. In the last day or two, I've decided to stick with my beloved Cubs and my wife's Red Sox for the 1952s. There are names like Cavaretta and Sauer that a Cubs fan can enjoy without breaking the bank, plus a few high numbers for good measure. I'll stick with that for awhile until I change my mind again in a year.

That left a pre-war hole outside of T202s. I have a complete T205 basic set, so I'll hang onto that, but I wanted some type cards as well. Looking at my T205s, I started thinking about the Hoblitzell variations, which led me to Goggle him. I found some good articles on his days as a WWI Army dentist and ended up buying a cool print of him off of Ebay for my wall. He's in a lot of sets, but doesn't cost much, so I decided he's the basis for my Type Set.

So there you have it - T202s, '52 Cubs/BoSox, and Dick Hoblitzell, for no apparent reason. With three kids to put through school in the coming years, I think it's best for my wallet and my sanity! It's kind of nice to have some focus and some flexibility with type cards. I'm sure it will all change in a couple of months, but that's what makes it fun. After all, they are trading cards...

Take Care,
Geno

Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnnyH

I finally finished my 34 Goudey set but in the meantime have upgraded about 50 of them and will probably keep slowly upgrading here and there. I started the 33 Goudey but after about 40 cards into it kept going back to the 34 set seeing what I wanted to fix next so I just gave up. I picked up a couple other nice Gehrigs and will probably try to pick up a few more and maybe magazines or oddball stuff of the great Iron Horse.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I've actually been focusing a lot on my post-war Baltimore Orioles collection lately. As for pre-war, select 1930s issues and perhaps some Orioles-centric issues.

James

Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

Focus is a good term. I'm trying desperately to focus on my T206 EPDG Back effort. I have 92 different now and look forward to breaking through the 100 barrier sometime during 2009 the 100th anniversary of the set.
RayB

Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

"Whew, at least you've given up clowns.... "

Jeff... my post you quoted from was a year old.

And.... well, here I am a year later and I have my baseball cards / my golf cards / and I picked up some clowns along the way.

I'm not sure what I will 'focus' on now.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B O'Brien

I am still plugging away on the T206 HOF backs line. 26 knocked off and nothing left to sell to buy more. Thanks to many board members that have helped me do this over the last year.
Anyone want to trade me a Cycle Collins for a Playstation 3 that I realized that I am to old and uncoordinated to play.
As much as I love my group of cards, they have become a burden of sorts, but I would not feel right about selling them missing some of the easy backs that I need. After I do decide to sell, I plan to work on the T206 set VGish raw. Just itching to buy a binder!
Thanks,
Bob

Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott T

I am down to the "Big Eleven" in my T206 set and have ventured over into the exciting world of Old Judges.

Maybe I can get a stimulus grant to pay for a Elberfeld-Washington-Portrait T206.

Scott

Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Working on Detroit only cards. Trying to collect as many different as possible. Trying to get as many different types as possible and trying to complete team sets( Need 2 Cobbs for the complete T206 Detroit Set- bat on and off shoulder).

Being a Detroit collector is very expensive ( Ty Cobb alone - ouch !!!!) and also they go back to 1881.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim

My collecting interests have changed over the years. I started buying a variety of most any cards that I liked. Then, focused on t206s for a while. I had about 75 PSA t206s, but sold all of them within the last year. I started buying some random cards after that. I decided that I liked cards from several of the issues that I bought. I have started to focus on 5 sets: 1) SGC 60 or better Diamond Stars, 2) PSA 3 or better 1933 Goudey, 3) SGC 60 or better 1939 Play Ball, 4) PSA 8 1960 Fleer, and 5) PSA 8 1961 Fleer.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

My type collection (mini Leon) is still going..but I have cut back because of the hard economic times..gotta eat and pay the rent..

I am narrowing down my have lists too..I don't need nor want every type card...I was hoping for Kalamzoo and a cabinet type card..but decided to go for a more affordable cabinet and did pick up a nice one in the Huggins and Scott auction so I'm happy.

I have bought more stuff in post war types lately than pre war.

Ricky Y

Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I just traded my SGC 40 Cobb Green for a gorgeous SGC 60 Johnson portrait (Thanks Tony!).

But the focus of my collection is almost exclusively autographed pre-war cards, preferably signed T206 cards.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: NickM

I have some sets I'm basically always looking for, but I'll also do some one-off searches that I may never do again, and I look through seller's other auctions frequently. If I see something interesting at a good price, I go after it. This includes minor sports and occasional nonsports cards.

Pre-WWI, my main set is P2 pins. Between WWI and WWII, my main sets are '36 Goudey and '40 Play Ball.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph Angus

I am consistently looking to upgrade my diamond stars set which is a bargain right now. I have been acquiring some great cards for very little$$$ compared to this time last year. And its so hard to find many of the cards as well. I also love the 1941 Play Ball set. Also a great bargain. Great time to be collecting!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave H

As I have tried over the years to stop the collecting all together, I have failed miserably.

I have successfully moved away from set collecting, and moved to strictly Ted Williams (another Red Sox fanatic). I was collecting these cards exclusively for about 7 years, and had worked down to less than 15 known Williams cards. I was finding that I was lucky to find 3-4 cards/year, and usually out of my budget range (like the 48 Leaf, 54 Bowman and the 54 Wilson Franks).

About 2 years ago, working through my collection, I noted several T206 cards, and at that time completely transitioned to T206 HOF's. Another "very slow" set on a budget. I have collected about 25 graded HOF's, but as recently as the last 2 months, have been focusing more on a few players. This has come about due to reading several different books on HOF's. I have noted several players with "some connection" to my past or families past, my occupation, Ted Williams, etc. I have now moved to collecting all T-cards of just a small subset of HOF's (unfortunately some expensive ones): M.Brown, Chance, E.Collins, J.Collins, Lajoie, Matty, Speaker and Young. Have not even thought of the E-cards yet....

These few players in T cards are now my "new" focus.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Still have my set collector predisposition, but decided recently that I want more (& slower) challenges, so I consigned my T205 and T207 sets and am focusing on D381's and a few non-sport sets.

Oh, yeah - and I'd love to put a stake in the heart of my T204 set in 2009. 4 to go and about a dozen upgrades.

Bil

Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

My story mirrors so many others. I rediscovered T206 in 2003 after a 20-year hiatus from collecting. Then I discovered all of these other great old sets and started dabbling in types. Then I realized there was no coherent theme to what I was buying and returned (mainly) to T206. It has been a fun journey.

Scot

Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

I have managed to keep my pre-war focus on two sets: T206 and 1933 Goudey. For T206 I have narrowed the focus further to the HOF players only, to keep the project manageable. I have only strayed into type collecting to get one 1915 Cracker Jack card, the Joe Jackson.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sandy Schwartz

I went through an exciting decade-long hunt for T206's back in the 80's and came up a Wagner and Plank short of the set (in the days before Doyle was a legit #524). The thrill of building that set was unbeatable. My attempts back then at building T201, T202, and T205 sets came up short. These days, my love for a wider variety of cards has transformed me into some odd hybrid, collecting both sets and types. On the type front, my focus is on single mid-condition examples for E, D, and N sets. Someday, I envision building a wall display of type cards a la Old Cardboard's beautiful type posters. Then again, why spend money on a wall display when I could buy more cards! happy.gif

On the set front, I'm progressing well towards the more common N sets: 28, 29, 43, 162, 184. Not sure which direction after that.
Oddly enough, I don't hold N172 as a priority, to me it's just a geriatric T206 on steroids, maybe I'll just order the new Old Judge tome and live vicariously thru that!

Sandy Schwartz

Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

All the Obak sets minus the mysterious, elusive and freak show pricey T4's.

T206's --- I'm about 15 cards short of the set, but seem to like to keep this set perennially unfinished.

Just started T205 last December. In terms of visual appeal, T205 is just about the most condition sensitive set I've seen. A beater T212 or T206 still looks nice to me. A beater T205 looks like peacock vomit.

T207's. Dig this set. Slowly chipping away.

1911 Zeenuts. Only a few so far, trying to decide whether to dive in for the long haul.

D311's. Absolutely beautiful cards, but so tough to make serious headway. On the fence. Should I stay or should I go.

95% raw collection. Only the 1909 Obaks and 1911 Zeenuts stay in their SGC holders, but the wrench and screwdriver remain at the ready.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

"Being a Detroit collector is very expensive ( Ty Cobb alone - ouch !!!!) and also they go back to 1881." from previous Mike's post.

Mike,

Yes, I was warned by Mr. Nagy at a card show in Michigan that collecting Detroit would be quite expensive, told me to bad I don't collect the Cubs. happy.gif

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!