NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 AM

Default 1935 Chicle Pack Legendary Auctions!!

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...toryid=168231#

A graded GAI 6 unopened 1935 Football Chicle pack up for auction through Legendary!! What an awesome piece!!! Was wondering what everyone thinks the hammer will fall at on this piece? over 10k??? I think the card is number 5 Glenn Presnell from the writing you can see on the back

Tucker
Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM

Default 1935 chicle pack

Agreed. Glen Presnell. You can tell by looking on the back of the card. On the left side you can make out the words " young" and "loosely". They match perfectly with his card when you look on the back of his card at where they line up. Cool pack but I'll take my PSA Unitas rookie cello pack or my Jim brown PSA cello pack over this one anyday.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:28 PM
John

Hi Tucker, I saw this too. Nice observation on the Presnell! Wow, you must have great eyes.

Do we think it's legit though? Or did someone buy a wrapper and a card....? I have to think bidders will be skeptical here, would've liked to see the AH give us some backstory as to the origin.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Default I would also like the back story

I agree Dez, would love to have some back story on the pack and would love to believe it is real what treasure if it is legit
Old 11-10-2014, 02:37 PM
John

One thing to note, PSA does document some unopened finds: http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ridiron-issues
Old 11-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Jeff P

Great piece! There are about 5-6 really great items in this Legendary Auction that I would really like to have.

Unfortunately I do not bid on auctions founded by people who are going to jail for shill bidding auction buyers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...icle-1.1888759

Anyone else want to join in on this boycott? Time to start getting rid of the corruption in this hobby. It's not gonna stop as long as we as buyers continue to look the other way.

jeff
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Default Thanks Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the info!! That is bs what they did !!!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:03 PM
John

Good point Jeff. Glad you chimed in. The same issue is mentioned, but not as strongly in the current issue of GG - something to the effect: "Bill Mastro's old partners Mark Theotikos and Doug Allen started legendary Auctions......". I had no idea there was a connection.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Very cool, but the back flap looks loose. I doubt I would pay a premium for that

Also, I refuse to bid in Legendary, bunch of F'ing crooks for the reasons Jeff listed and above. Consignors should learn to deal with auction houses who aren't felons (alleged)

Just toss the catalogue in the trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...toryid=168231#

A graded GAI 6 unopened 1935 Football Chicle pack up for auction through Legendary!! What an awesome piece!!! Was wondering what everyone thinks the hammer will fall at on this piece? over 10k??? I think the card is number 5 Glenn Presnell from the writing you can see on the back

Tucker
Old 11-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Very cool, but the back flap looks loose. I doubt I would pay a premium for that

Also, I refuse to bid in Legendary, bunch of F'ing crooks for the reasons Jeff listed and above. Consignors should learn to deal with auction houses who aren't felons (alleged)

Just toss the catalogue in the trash.
... AND DON'T BID. In talking to consignors, they feel they are in a tough spot as they obviously want to realize the best price possible for their items and don't like to exclude auction houses from consideration. That's why it's up to all of us. If less bids happen at Legendary, items go for less $$$, consigners get unhappy and stop consigning to them, and POOF, they go away.

Thanks for the support, Joe! It's the only way out of this mess we all have contributed too.

jeff
Old 11-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
... AND DON'T BID. In talking to consignors, they feel they are in a tough spot as they obviously want to realize the best price possible for their items and don't like to exclude auction houses from consideration. That's why it's up to all of us. If less bids happen at Legendary, items go for less $$$, consigners get unhappy and stop consigning to them, and POOF, they go away.

Thanks for the support, Joe! It's the only way out of this mess we all have contributed too.

jeff

I couldn't agree more Jeff
I'm publicly announcing I would never bid in a Legendary auction, I don't care how many Largent rookie cards they have.

So if you're a consignor thinking about using Legendary, know they have a lot of high end football collectors who don't bid there and it will likely effect the price of your items, in a negative way
Old 11-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Jeff

I don't see how consignors are in a tough spot. They know what these guys are going to jail for. They have a choice just like the bidders. The fact that these guys can send a catalog out with a straight face floors me frankly. If you choose to look the other way and consign there you should expect a large portion of the hobby IMO to say "no thanks."

Another thing re consignors, if there's something this hobby doesn't have a shortage of on the positive side - it's auction houses. There are plenty of places to consign your wares.

It's not really that hard to deny yourself is it?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-16-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My crystal ball says we probably won't have to worry about certain auction houses in the future.....
Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My crystal ball says we probably won't have to worry about certain auction houses in the future.....
I hope you are right, Leon, but I don't want us to become complacent and give them any chance of hanging in there. Drive a stake in their hearts!

jeff
Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Maybe it's a lawyer thing but anyone notice how Allen was due in court back in Sept. and nothing in the news since that month concerning his plea status. maybe I missed something here but I check the news frequently for his name and nothing comes up.maybe calvindog knows something ????
Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
Maybe it's a lawyer thing but anyone notice how Allen was due in court back in Sept. and nothing in the news since that month concerning his plea status. maybe I missed something here but I check the news frequently for his name and nothing comes up.maybe calvindog knows something ????
This is a 100% guess but maybe the court let them not enter their official pleas, or get their sentencing yet, until after the holidays? I too have been looking and checking and.... nothing.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 AM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Leon,you may be right as the accused are family men.Often near holidays,judges will be lenient.Of course,it could still be stalling tactics by their lawyers.
In the current Legendary catalogue,the preface was written by Jeff Marren a company vp, not a Doug Allen,etc. It sounded like he was saying goodbye.Now I am thinking Legendary folds and reemerges in another form / guess on my part.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Doug's sentencing has been adjourned until well into next year.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Okay,Jeff,now maybe Doug can morph into a different auction house .