NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Scott I really appreciate your help in finding me a Bain. That is very kind of you

Ben, I agree with what you are saying that content (great image) is everything. I would rather have a great picture that appeals to me than an image by someone famous that is just ok. I would like to collect HOFers that have a great image AND is by a great photographer. Thanks again
Damnit! Looks like I have more competition.

BTW.. CARDS ARE COOL AND WHY I ORIGINALLY GOT INTO THE HOBBY AS A KID BUT THIS IS ONE REASON I LIKE PHOTOS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141028627120

Oh the WORLD CLASS photo(s) I could buy with this amount of money.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-09-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Bill Boyd

Ben,
I have been doing a lot of studying on press photos and the photographers, especially VanOeyen. In your experience, do you find that some of these photographers, especially VanOeyen, did not place their stamp on a lot of their photos?
I have come across a few that I was able to match a negative from the VanOeyen archive, to a press photo, and I have seen other posts stating they had photos done by other photographers, but the photographer stamp was not present on the back of press photo.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Ben,
I have been doing a lot of studying on press photos and the photographers, especially VanOeyen. In your experience, do you find that some of these photographers, especially VanOeyen, did not place their stamp on a lot of their photos?
I have come across a few that I was able to match a negative from the VanOeyen archive, to a press photo, and I have seen other posts stating they had photos done by other photographers, but the photographer stamp was not present on the back of press photo.
Bill, I am not sure what your definition of a lot is or what the percentage would actually be but yes, it definitely happens. There are a ton of reasons why it would happen. It could be that the photographer simply didn't do it or that a news service made a copy of the original ...and everything in between. The short answer to your question is, yes.
There are a ton of Conlons with his own hand writing on the back with no stamp(example).

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Nice pickups everyone! Lots of terrific rarities...

I thought it might be fun to post by favorite inexpensive purchase at The National.

Flipping through a binder (within the last 15 minutes on the convention floor), I found this cool 1910 Base Ball mini-scrapbook for $15.

The hobbyist meticulously glued every box score plus many photos of the 1910 base ball season from April through the end of May in this hard bound book. All 1910 opening day games pitched by the likes of Matty, 3 Finger Brown, Deacon Phillipe, Cy Young and Chief Bender were in there. Of note, the 1st game ever at the new ball park in Cleveland (League Park), including a nice write up, was present. Both of the no-hitters from the 1910 season (Addie Joss and Chief Bender) both made it into the scrapbook as well.

In between some of the pages were perhaps 20-30 period magazine photo clippings of many stars of the era including Cy Young, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Tinker and Evers, etc., etc.

I carefully looked through the scrapbook on my flight home. Very cool!
Great Pick-up for the price, love the little niche items, would have paid $30 easy for that . Enjoy that great piece.
Mike
Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Bill Boyd

Ben,
A lot was the wrong term, I should have said that it was not uncommon for a photographer to not put his stamp on the back of his photos. I have been researching my cousin's Ruth collection, and I have found 8 to 10 press photos, without photographer stamps, but matched negatives that are in the VanOeyen collection in the Western Reserve Historical Society.
The only stamp on the back is Cleveland Press with date. No article, but I have found success locating newspaper articles, which include the photos.

Bob,
Great photos, that Buck Weaver is special, along with that close up on Gehrig.

Last edited by billyb; 08-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Damnit! Looks like I have more competition.

BTW.. CARDS ARE COOL AND WHY I ORIGINALLY GOT INTO THE HOBBY AS A KID BUT THIS IS ONE REASON I LIKE PHOTOS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141028627120

Oh the WORLD CLASS photo(s) I could buy with this amount of money.

thats why graded card collecting went around the bend a good while ago. insanity for sure.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:42 PM
J0n Fu.ld

That Pete Rose 1971 versus the Ruth/Cobb Type I in the REA auction. The buyer could have had that Ruth Cobb photo instead! What is the better piece. Ridiculous.
Cards have their attributes, but their original demand in the non computer age was to receive information - images and statistics of players. and a piece of gum. There is still demand for the aesthetics of cards, and there should be, and the looks do relate much to condition.
But I think there is a clear, great value in buying photos and other memorabilia for aesthetics/investment versus the vast majority of cards at present. Everyone knows of cards, not everyone knows of vintage memorabilia (the top houses, SCD, net54 and other forums, Type I photos, game used, and large advertising pieces). So more of the population involved in cards versus memorabilia at present. I think this is the disconnect. I think Type I photos and game used will have a nice ride up relative to cards, though there are cards that will have a nice ride up as well. We have seen photos and game used go up a real amount in the past 2 years. Ruth jersey 3 mil , Mantle jerseys 500-750k, Joe Jackson photos 30k, etc. Game used and photos get you as close to the actual game as possible, I think this is what is great about them. Cards really take me to the candy store, or the tobacco store. They are beautiful lithographs, and other forms of art. And they take you back to the day. And I like a number, particularly the 1914 Ruth, and of course T-206. To me though most cards take me to the store, whereas game used and photos and other items like large advertising lithos take me more to actual play.

Last edited by BigJJ; 08-10-2013 at 03:51 PM.