NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
Good discussion.
With no resolve
Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 PM

I'm not an auto expert, but the first time I saw the Jackson sig in question, I said to myself, "no way is that real." Just doesn't have the same characteristics of the known authentic Jackson sigs.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 02-11-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:59 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
I'm not an auto expert, but the first time I saw the Jackson sig in question, I said to myself, "no way is that real." Just doesn't have the same characteristics of the known authentic Jackson sigs.
Same for me on the Matty. Not an expert but just didn't look right. I have a hard time with the fact that these would even exist. Reminds me of those Ruth autographed photos in REA recently (I think it was REA).
Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 AM

The issue I have is that someone who is illiterate is going to have a hard enough time signing their name, but then add a place and date? Doesn't seem right. You look at the stuff Stan Coveleski signed and he always signed just his name.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
With no resolve
oh, there's a resolve Shells...the Joe Jackson in the original post is a dime store phony, IMHO. If it's too good to be true it usually is. I respect the opinions of members here who have forgot more than I will ever know.

The story is ludicrous with this BARN FIND crap. That's where the story goes south for me...at the beginning. Honestly, the story is ridiculous, PURE AND SIMPLE. Just because the knuckle dragging Neanderthals at PSA say it's so, doesn't mean JACK. Their reputation is falling like crude oil, and this fiasco will only add to it.

Somebody is about ready to get taken behind the BARN and beaten like a red -headed step child.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

From Chuck's post :"The story is ludicrous with this BARN FIND crap. That's where the story goes south for me...at the beginning. Honestly, the story is ridiculous, PURE AND SIMPLE. Just because the knuckle dragging Neanderthals at PSA say it's so, doesn't mean JACK. Their reputation is falling like crude oil, and this fiasco will only add to it."

Chuck I agree with you totally. My only exception is concerning their reputation falling. I believe it has fallen, is falling and will continue to fall amongst the knowledgeable collectors , such as those on this site, but I still believe that the unknowledgeable collector, the novice collector, and the easily persuaded or impressed collector will still be subject to their "impressive" credentials and slick LOA to guide them in their purchasing experience whether good or , mostly bad.

Last edited by Klrdds; 02-12-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: error in qouting from Chuck's post
Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think the Joe has become the new I found it autograph of the year.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
From Chuck's post :"The story is ludicrous with this BARN FIND crap. That's where the story goes south for me...at the beginning. Honestly, the story is ridiculous, PURE AND SIMPLE. Just because the knuckle dragging Neanderthals at PSA say it's so, doesn't mean JACK. Their reputation is falling like crude oil, and this fiasco will only add to it."

Chuck I agree with you totally.
If I actually found something worthwhile in a barn, I would leave out the part about the barn. Not sure why auction houses still think that this ebay-style story is appealing to bidders.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If I actually found something worthwhile in a barn, I would leave out the part about the barn. Not sure why auction houses still think that this ebay-style story is appealing to bidders.
Oh I don't know. Didn't they find millions of dollars in the form of vintage cars in a barn a few months back.

Last edited by jad22; 02-12-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Oh I don't know. Didn't they find millions of dollars in the form of vintage cars in a barn a few months back.
Of course they were weathered unlike these autographs.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have had the pleasure of digging through boxes of old papers and photo albums, found in barns, sheds, wooden garages, old houses, etc. - you name it. Needless to say, only the stuff found in actual houses survived in decent shape, and most of the time it had been looked at so often that it was as worn as an old comic book. The other papers were generally musty, mildewy, stuck together, ripped to pieces, water-damaged, cat-pissed-on, etc. The idea of something surviving 100 years in a barn in pristine shape is really unbelievable.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 PM
pete ullman

barnfind w/cars=GOOD

barnfind w/cards=BAD
Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Of course they were weathered unlike these autographs.
now that's funny!
Old 02-13-2015, 04:02 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Years ago, didn't one of the big auction houes sell a Joe Jackson signed photograph? From what I remember, the signature had been traced over because of Jackson poor handwriting, and subsequently a conservator removed the "traced over" portion leaving the original signature intact?
YES! Rob Lifson had a Shoeless Joe Jackson portrait photo signed in his auction over 20 years ago, I think. It had a glaze like substance to preserve the signature. I'll locate the auction and scan it. I believe it was authenticated by Charles Hamilton? It has been awhile.

Albert

Last edited by sporteq; 02-13-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:05 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Robert Edward Auction Sept 18, 1994 Pre internet.

Albert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joesig.jpg (82.9 KB, 396 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 07:36 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Albert,
The Joe Jackson photo you listed here as part of an REA auction was also sold in the Barry Halper Collection auction by Sotheby's in 1999 as lot 455. It sold for $43,125 in the auction. I remember this lot at the time as being touted as the only known Jackson signed picture.
As to my knowledge it has not entered the market since then, although I could be wrong and missed it if it reentered the market.
The only thing known is that the picture is from 1912 and the signature ( if it is real) is as well according to the lot description in the catalog.
Looks different from the one in Heritage supposedly just 1 year apart assuming it was " signed" in 1911 as listed on the photo's date.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Michael I.

Jackson photo bidding up to 90,000 dollars as of this morning!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:22 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Jackson photo bidding up to 90,000 dollars as of this morning!
n54 did its job again
Old 02-22-2015, 05:28 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Wow.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Doesn't the inscription say: Alexandria, May 1911?

In any case, the photos could've been taken in spring training, or in some town (Like Alexandria, VA) as the teams were working their way north to start the season, later developed, and then the sigs could've been obtained as I mentioned - sometime when Cleveland and the Giants were both in NY, hence the May inscription.

I'm sure the Giants spring training facility is mentioned in The Glory of Their Times, maybe with regards to the stories about Charles "Victory" Faust joining the team down there.
The Giants trained in Marlin, TX didn't they?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
The Giants trained in Marlin, TX didn't they?
Yes, I mentioned that in Post #50 in this thread:

...In The Glory of Their Times, Fred Snodgrass says, after McGraw offered him a contract for the 1908 season:

"Well, as you can well imagine, I was on that train four days later, going to marlin Texas...The Giants had bought a piece of property in Marlin, Texas, a town of about 4,000 or 5,000 people, and had constructed a bal, park there for spring-training purposes...We trained there every spring I was with the Giants, which was until 1915..."
Old 02-22-2015, 08:51 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

The Giants photos were taken in late September or early October of that year...at least that is what the player selection tells me.

Tom C