NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Val Kehl

Default This cartoon from today's Wash. Post ...

will bring either a chuckle or a painful reminder. I'm so fortunate that Mom decided to ask me if I wanted my childhood card collection before she trashed them.
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB Crads Cartoon - March 6, 2014.jpg (82.9 KB, 444 views)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM
FredYoung

I cut that out from MY paper this morning & forgot to post it! I told my Mother in 1958 when I went away to school to NOT throw out any of my "stuff" and she never did! Those cards are the "heart" of my collection today! Mom would have been 105 a week ago today.

Last edited by GoldenAge50s; 03-06-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Alex

Nice
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Jay Shelton

Nice. My mom never threw anything of mine out, and she supported me collecting cards (and helped me with my collection as a kid) by stopping at the neighborhood 7-11 back in the mid-1970s to pick up a few 25 cent packs.

I think I shared this elsewhere a while back, but my mom was cleaning out some of her old purses several years ago, and found an unopened pack of 1976 Topps baseball cards that she had evidently bought and forgotten to give me. This was in the early 90s. It was fun opening a pack of cards over 15 years old!

She passed away 10 months ago. I miss her.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:10 AM

My dad had his cards thrown away by my grandmother before I was even born and he still talks about it to this day. I think the part that bothers him the most is that he not only asked her to save them, they were on a shelf in the back of their finished basement and the shelf wasn't being used for anything else. He didn't have many cards, maybe a shoebox full, but he also had comic books he kept in great shape and 100+ ticket stubs from Yankee games in the late 50's-60's. The shelf was built for his stuff and it was so far out of the way, there was no reason the stuff couldn't have stayed there.

One item that luckily was kept from the scrap heap was a Mickey Mantle Day program from 1965 with signatures from Tommy Henrich, Phil Rizzuto, Jerry Coleman, Joe Garagiola and Dizzy Dean. They were all broadcasters at that time, though not all for the Yankees.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 03-07-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
Nice. My mom never threw anything of mine out, and she supported me collecting cards (and helped me with my collection as a kid) by stopping at the neighborhood 7-11 back in the mid-1970s to pick up a few 25 cent packs.

I think I shared this elsewhere a while back, but my mom was cleaning out some of her old purses several years ago, and found an unopened pack of 1976 Topps baseball cards that she had evidently bought and forgotten to give me. This was in the early 90s. It was fun opening a pack of cards over 15 years old!

She passed away 10 months ago. I miss her.
What a nice memory to have Jay. I'm sorry for your loss, mom's really are special......
Old 03-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Yes, my Mom either threw out or gave away my cards, she couldn't remember which, that I bought in the late 50s at the check-out counter of Peoples Drugstore (now CVS). And I gave her some mild grief over the years. However, the loss is merely sentimental, not financial. We played with our cards, flipped them, put them in our bike spokes, etc. A protective sleeve was unheard of, at least by me. So they would not be worth much anyway. Nonetheless, that cartoon really hits home.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 AM
P*ter Me@d

My mom suffers from PackRatitis as do several other members of my family--so it must be a genetic trait. I don't think she would have been capable of tossing the thousands of cards my two brothers and I bought--primarily from 1965-the early 1970s. I toted them around from western NY to WDC to Boston and back to the WDC suburbs.
So I still have a boatload of those cards--although most of the doubles have been shipped off to my OBC friends.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Zach

I was born in 1980 so I didn't start collecting until the late 80's/early 90's... I almost hope my mom did throw away my cards. I know there are a couple of boxes in a closet at my parent's house. Maybe one day they'll be worth something but I doubt it.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
I was born in 1980 so I didn't start collecting until the late 80's/early 90's... I almost hope my mom did throw away my cards. I know there are a couple of boxes in a closet at my parent's house. Maybe one day they'll be worth something but I doubt it.

I feel ya on this. I am in the same boat.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Lots of Christmas gifts one year

I started collecting in '72, and had complete sets built the old way (ten cards and a stick of gum) from '72-'74 (wish I had never thrown away all the dupes, but hey, who needed them when you were trying to build a set?)

Flash forward ten years and when I came home for Christmas that year (first year out of college), there were four like packages under the tree for me. My mom had bought the complete set of '84 Topps, and taken my three year collection to a teacher where she was the secretary who was a collector, who boxed them up properly, without all the rubber bands, etc. Told me she always enjoyed watching me collect when I was younger, but it was time to get those things out of her house. They were mine, take them and do what I wanted to with them, but if was time for her to have the closet space back.

I took them, saved them (for almost another 27 years), filled in the years I missed and finally parted with the collection in 2011. 39 year run of complete Topps sets that were sold to fund my Howe-stamped addiction.

Thanks, Mom.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Bruce Esser

My mom kept all the 3 by 5 note cards I wrote as study aids for English, History, French and Greek but tossed about 1,000 baseball cards from the mid 50's to early 60's. Of course I had traded away all my Mickey Mantle cards and other Yankee cards as I was a Cardinals fan. One Mickey Mantle for a Ray Sadecki card anyone . So it goes.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 03-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Jason Stricker

My parents kept all of my cards from the 80's and 90s. I WISH they had thrown them all out!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Joe Hunter

My mother saved everything my brother and I collected between 1959 and 1964 including cards, Post Panels, Scorecards, Hartlands and a few nodders. I don't think I would have ever gotten back into collecting as an adult had it not been for this. I have tried to do the same for my son with the GI Joe's, Transformers, and Lego's we bought him in the early 80's. Unfortunately, these items have appreciated much more than the cards we bought him as he was growing up!
Old 03-09-2014, 07:10 AM
John

Default Everything but got tossed

Just like most kids, my mother threw away many, many items that my older brother and sister and I had begged her never to trash. We lost our Apple II computer, 1960s and 1980s GI Joe's, old comic books, ColecoVision, first generation Star Wars and TransFormers, old Barbie's, etc. We had unboxed and played with all of them, so the value wouldn't be as high today, but they were really cool things that I wish we had kept or given to someone else. However, the baseball cards were spared.

My father was not so lucky with his collection. When he went to college in 1951 his mother chucked his cards. My father talked about this for decades as he spent a lot of time putting that collection together, with a special attention to Yankees players as he was born and raised in New York. Perhaps that put a bug in my mother's ear and saved my collection.

I imagine today many parents are checking eBay before anything heads to the trash can.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 AM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
In your same boat, lol. It was both a good time and a bad time to be getting into the hobby. Good time because it introduced our generation to this hobby as a whole which has lead to my vintage tastes today. However it was bad in a sense that so much money was wasted on the current players (at that time) which were obviously way over-produced and are now basically worth squat. Live and learn