NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
She is not an examiner, she is a founder of the company along with Steve Rocchi.
Too bad
I will bet she is an examiner alright. It might have nothing to do with autographs but she examines!! I bet she has examined a many a base-ball.

Last edited by Leon; 01-27-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I will bet she is an examiner alright. It might have nothing to do with autographs but she examines!! I bet she has examined a many a ball.
Leon - tsk,tsk .
Terrible thing to say about such a fine looking lady .
And I do think she looks about 40ish,, but not bad for 40ish,,
Good to have a woman in the business though, especially one who looks like that .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-27-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Leon - tsk,tsk .
Terrible thing to say about such a fine looking lady .
And I do think she looks about 40ish,, but not bad for 40ish,,
Good to have a woman in the business though, especially one who looks like that.
Richard- I was most certainly talking about baseballs.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

Glad you clarified that, thanks .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Richard Simon

Geez, what a randy bunch of guys we are,,
Note: I did say we are, not you are .
But if their certs start showing up on CC, then the tone changes.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-27-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Yes! Yes! So was I

Last edited by novakjr; 01-27-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Barry Sloate

A couple of posts have already touched on what I was thinking as soon as I saw this: why is it that every authenticator has the word "forensic" somewhere in his title or company name? Is that the buzzword that adds the needed credibility to the enterprise? I've got to be honest here, I don't even know what the word "forensic" means. Is the root "foreskin", or something to that effect?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
A couple of posts have already touched on what I was thinking as soon as I saw this: why is it that every authenticator has the word "forensic" somewhere in his title or company name? Is that the buzzword that adds the needed credibility to the enterprise? I've got to be honest here, I don't even know what the word "forensic" means. Is the root "foreskin", or something to that effect?
I wouldn't touch that foreskin comment with a 10 ft pole .
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-27-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Barry Sloate

Did you know that forensic is an anagram of forescin? That's close enough for me.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Moral ass has paved the way to this dubious distinction....
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM

I think the word forensic is a word the average person on the street understands, even if he can't literally define. Kind of like authentic. Both words have a ring to them. We know what they mean even if we don't know what the mean.

A common meaning is forensic scientist-- in any area, medicine to psychology-- is someone trained and certified to provide evidence in a court of a law. So supposedly, a forensic expert in autographs is certified by whatever forensic body and is able to testify in court.

There are looser definitions.

Actually, to be come certified as a forensic autograph expert by the governing bodies, you have to do a lot of stuff. You need at least a BS, often take addition education in the area, pass tests and I think intern with an other certified expert for two years. So, whatever you think of the status, it isn't like sending in two box tops and $5.

However, if you aren't certified by any forensic board but clearly are an expert/knowledgeable in your field-- a Ph.d. microbiology professor asked by a lawyer to testify in a suit about hospital cleanliness--, you may be allowed to testify in court as an expert. Who's allowed to be an expert witness in a case is up to the judge, and the certification may not be deemed necessary for Professor Smith. In the eyes of a judge, the Ph.d. in microbiology may be worth a lot more than some forensic board certificate.

One thing is a judge may be a learned and sharp guy, but he has a J.D. and hasn't studied in all the forensic areas. He's not an MD or biochemist or a civil engineer. Thus, he'll look at tangible outside indications that person is qualified to testify-- Ph.d., certified by a forensic, board, has been okayed as expert witness in other cases, etc. In the topic of this thread, the judge may have an MENSA IQ, a law degree from Yale and on his free time wrote a history of New Haven, but chances are he's not an avid autograph collector and knows the heart the loops in Mickey Mantle's signature. In fact, you may be relieved the judge in your civil suit isn't the type who places bids on eBay autographs during his lunch break and posts comments on an autograph board.

It should be noted that some judges are wary of those so-called those certified forensic autograph experts, and don't allow them to testify as experts. The judges consider their opinions unreliable and/or scientifically questionable. They likely experienced where expert opinions were later clearly demonstrated to be errors, too many dueling opinions, and also likely grew to question the whole methodology/logic used by experts. So, in cases, a judge may share opinion with many members of this board about the folks.

Interestingly, I saw Judge Judy where the person brought in a forensic document expert to testify about writing on a document and Judge Judy said she thought the expert was wrong. He even showed her how he analyzed the writing on the document, and she didn't buy it.

But, as I said, in a company title it's just a word that people seem to understand, as they've watched those law and crime shows.

I believe that Texas A & M has a new masters program in forensic document examination. As Texas A & M is a good science and research school, the masters degree may mean something.

Last edited by drc; 01-28-2012 at 03:05 PM.