NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 AM
Robert Williams

Here is a Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan card graded incorrectly, this time by SGC. Notice the white line on the bottom border of a card. Yep, that's a Milton Bradley.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Here is the most informative article written on the subject:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...n-bradley-set/
The author, Carlton ( goheels), posts here occasionally. I think he is the one who developed the virtual sheet. He has several sets and several of the complete games. The games themselves come up on eBay and in auctions from time to time, but hardly ever with "unopened" cards
Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
The author, Carlton ( goheels), posts here occasionally. I think he is the one who developed the virtual sheet. He has several sets and several of the complete games. The games themselves come up on eBay and in auctions from time to time, but hardly ever with "unopened" cards
I have known (online) Carlton for years and he has always been very generous with both his time and knowledge of not only MB cards but the slew of other variations we all still frequently discuss ....he not only referred me to net54, but helped me to understand the intricacies of the Win a Card game. I am thankful for learning about both. He was also nice enough to forward me his article on the MBs to read before publication.

I know he has sold some of his MBs sets off over the years, but I would speculate he may still own more MB cards than anyone else as he has been collecting these cards/games for years.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Ja_red Kar_aka$

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
Anyone know if the top row cards on the sheet ever have a white strip or are they immune?
The top row of baseball will never have a white border. Definitely the toughest to locate unless in hand.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Correction, the bottom white edge of the Hundley is the top of a Hot Rods card, not a 1967 Football card.
Any way to get a pick of the sheet blown up to a bigger size?

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 01-05-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Al Richter

Larry-- am in full agreement with you about Carlton. A credit to the hobby
Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Any way to get a pick of the sheet blown up to a bigger size?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968-Topps-MB-SheetWEBd.jpg (84.6 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 01-06-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand19 View Post
The top row of baseball will never have a white border. Definitely the toughest to locate unless in hand.
Want to make sure I understand this correctly: by top row I assume you are referring to the row that starts with Jim Merritt and Tom Seaver (Sheet in post #27)? If my assumption is correct, isn't it possible that these could have a white top border depending on the card being OC top to bottom?

Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango
Old 01-06-2018, 01:28 AM
Ja_red Kar_aka$

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Want to make sure I understand this correctly: by top row I assume you are referring to the row that starts with Jim Merritt and Tom Seaver (Sheet in post #27)? If my assumption is correct, isn't it possible that these could have a white top border depending on the card being OC top to bottom?
Yes I’m referring to the Merritt row. I’ve had approximately 1500 of these cards over the years and have yet to see it. The white border would definitely not be from one of the FB. From the top of the sheet...maybe. I’d have to defer to Carlton on that one. If that were the case, it would definitely be a miscut. A mere top to bottom OC wouldn’t reveal a border.

Last edited by kickstand19; 01-06-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand19 View Post
Yes I’m referring to the Merritt row. I’ve had approximately 1500 of these cards over the years and have yet to see it. The white border would definitely not be from one of the FB. From the top of the sheet...maybe. I’d have to defer to Carlton on that one. If that were the case, it would definitely be a miscut. A mere top to bottom OC wouldn’t reveal a border.
Hi Jared, wouldn't you think there would have to be some chance that there could be some with a top white border based on where the card exists on the MB sheet, unless the burlap goes far beyond what I'll call the normal cut line for the cards? Here is a regular sheet from 1968, there is at least some white outside the burlap on all sides. Since we don't have an uncut MB sheet we may never know for sure. It's really hard to see on this sheet how much if any white is above the burlap on the top row cards.

I'd love to have a definitive answer as I try to use possible white border's on MB's vs. regular issue to verify MB's when searching on line as its very difficult to tell by color alone due to the inconsistency of scanner settings. If I'm off on Merritt, I'm off on at least 10 others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68series2.jpg (79.5 KB, 86 views)

Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango

Last edited by brob28; 01-06-2018 at 09:02 AM.