NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited by Runscott; 11-28-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
now that rick commented and those comments were appended, everyone got their resolve.

...the thread goes quiet. issue is over with.

just like the rest of them.

kevin
How ironic! The thread goes quiet for 4 days and drifts towards the bottom of page one, perhaps to disappear from page 1 list of threads, then you decide to come back and post a reply trumpeting what exactly? Your own ego-maniacal Pyrrhic victory?

In the end you've done nothing more than refresh the thread to to top of page 1 and allow additional forum users the opportunity to read the thread, become a little better educated about looking out for, dealing with, and staying away from these unethical bidding/consigning/consignment practices on Ebay.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
How ironic! The thread goes quiet for 4 days and drifts towards the bottom of page one, perhaps to disappear from page 1 list of threads, then you decide to come back and post a reply trumpeting what exactly? Your own ego-maniacal Pyrrhic victory?
Mark, if this moron had a Pyrrhic victory it would be his first. He has no idea what if anything is going on behind the scenes regarding the fraud in these auctions -- but of course, that doesn't stop him from opening his hole and allowing more stupidity to come out. At least he didn't make any racist or homophobic remarks in that post so I suppose for him that's a big victory.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:28 PM
C.hris Bl.and

76 bids on a T3 Rube Waddell with 6 days to go? Seems reasonable to me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T3-Turk...item5401813a3e

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 11-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
76 bids on a T3 Rube Waddell with 6 days to go? Seems reasonable to me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-T3-Turk...item5401813a3e
But only 72 of those are from the same bidder.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Steve Skibel

This Thread is evidence of the deception that this hobby has in it. Shilling is much more than Probstein and PWCC. The majority of Ruth cards over $1,000 have it going on now. There are 2 ending tonight that have it taking place. The auction option is something that I will no longer do. Give me a buy it now or I will not buy it. Human nature (greed) seems to always take advantage of whatever it can. If you looked at this board in 2009 versus 2013, you could see that the collectors are leaving and more flippers joining. Dont get me wrong there are some quality people on this board but many more trying to make a quick buck. This hobby would be much more fun if it had more collectors and less flippers but this seems to have the opposite taking place now.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
But only 72 of those are from the same bidder.
It's OK. He stopped when he realized his next bid was going to be the high bid. Must have reached his limit.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 PM
pete ullman

I totally agree with you Steve...this board is changing. IT's not the safe haven it once was...definitely turning into the wild west...along with the hobby!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter67up View Post
This Thread is evidence of the deception that this hobby has in it. Shilling is much more than Probstein and PWCC. The majority of Ruth cards over $1,000 have it going on now. There are 2 ending tonight that have it taking place. The auction option is something that I will no longer do. Give me a buy it now or I will not buy it. Human nature (greed) seems to always take advantage of whatever it can. If you looked at this board in 2009 versus 2013, you could see that the collectors are leaving and more flippers joining. Dont get me wrong there are some quality people on this board but many more trying to make a quick buck. This hobby would be much more fun if it had more collectors and less flippers but this seems to have the opposite taking place now.
Problem is, that when a Ruth goes off in a PWCC or Probstein auction, the price is inflated -- which influences the value that you would place on the card when you make a best offer.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Robert Williams

I think it all boils down to unrealistic expectations. Just because a card sold for $1,000 last week from a seller other than PWCC or Probstein DOES NOT make that exact same card worth $1,500 or more one week later with PWCC or Probstein as the seller!!!! Or does it??!?!??!?!?!??!!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I totally agree with you Steve...this board is changing. IT's not the safe haven it once was...definitely turning into the wild west...along with the hobby!
There are a lot more people on the board, no doubt. Wild Wild west? Far from it in my opinion. That doesn't mean you can just do things blindly. But I personally think that if you do your homework it's as close to perfectly safe as I know of, on such a venue. I am biased of course.

Last edited by Leon; 12-01-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
It's OK. He stopped when he realized his next bid was going to be the high bid. Must have reached his limit.
This is what happened to me the one time I bid in a "123" auction, back sometime around '05-'07 or so. I was of course suspicious and decided I would never bid on an auction of his again Anyway, the threads regarding these actions are great to shine the light on this. Per some of the posts it has prevented others from dealing with the guy.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter67up View Post
I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you on that. Yeah. Sure, there are a few trolls here and there on N54. That said, there are lots of solid, committed, friendly collectors here who've got many years into the Hobby and are as passionate about their collections as can be. Everyone who shows up at our shows is evidence of that. If you're around SoCal in May when we do our next show, come on out and meet the gang. Or attend the National if you haven't and meet up with everyone there. Lots of good people...

I don't think flipping is bad. I think we're all flippers to some extent--I know I try to finance my collection that way--but the prevalence of auction houses as the means of selling cards with mass lotting that lumps dozens or even hundreds of cards into 'dealer friendly' lots increasingly dictates that we all end up flipping stuff.

The answer to shilling on eBay is not simple but there are mitigating measures that can be taken, which we've kicked around ad nauseum here already. First and foremost is exposure, which N54 does very well indeed.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Steve Skibel

I agree their are a lot of really good people on this board but as it grows like everything else in this world the scammers and let's make a quick buck people have grown in multiples and are just a turn-off in the hobby. They will come and go on this board and hopefully the quality collectors will stick it out. This hobby was built on collectors trading and purchasing cards they really want and exploited by people trying to make a quick buck or selling fake/counterfeit items. The TPG's have included themselves in the deception in the hobby by grading cards that are known to be trimmed and giving them a grade of 8. The accountability is just not there. Dealers using one price guide to buy from and a second to sell from? We are not going to grow the hobby with these actions. I have enjoyed this hobby and this forum but I made my original post because I really don't like what I have been seeing over the last year or so. I hate negativity and look forward to discussing the excitement of someone getting a card they really wanted.

Steve

Last edited by Batter67up; 12-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Jeff

Follow the money.
When the dollars get big (and they have) along come the folks allergic to a honest day's work.

There are PLENTY of fine folks on this board but it is different than it used to be. And that's not all bad either.

We will all be flippers at some point.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Flippers and profit seekers

Are not new to this business and there are far less of both than in the late 1980s-mid 1990s when there were far more people attempting to make a buck selling cards. I also do not think there is more but actually less fraud than back then, in terms of counterfeits and alterations. Do these things still exist absolutely and they always will. That does not mean we should not expose fraud when we see it. There is more fraud in terms of shilling mainly because far more cards are now sold via auction then at any other time. Ps there are a ton of good people on this board and a few p.i.t.as.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM

You guys are wasting your time, shill bidding is allowed if you are bringing in the big money, aka BRSZ!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
You guys are wasting your time, shill bidding is allowed if you are bringing in the big money!

Unfortunately you are 100% right.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:23 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Guess what I bid on a probstein auction (yes my mistake) and long and behold I was subsequently outbid. Now today with about a day and a half left I become the top bidder as the person bidding more than me has retracted or cancelled their bid. Since I don't want to cast dispersions on anyone you can draw your own conclusions. The ebay email is copied below. What do you think?

Dear eBay Community Member,
The following item, on which you placed a bid has had a bid retraction or cancellation, and you are now the high bidder. Congratulations! You can view the retraction/cancellation and the reason provided by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page. As a result of this retraction/cancellation, there is a possibility that the high bid amount and the current high bidder have changed. You can always view the current status of any item by going to the individual item page. (Be sure to refresh or reload the page to view the most up-to-date information.)

Regards,
eBay

It's a t206 chesboro sgc 50 with sovereign back if u care to look at bid history.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 12-04-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Jeff

Congratulations!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Thank you
Old 12-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Rob G.

Auction - http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Jack-Ch...item54018ab179

details of bidder who retracted $150 bid ...

Bid History: Details
Bidding Details

Bidder Information
Bidder: 0***a ( 53Feedback score is 50 to 99)
Item description: Item Title: T206 Jack Chesbro New York HOF SOVEREIGN 150 Back SGC 50 VG-EX 4
Bids on this item: 0

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 2
Items bid on: 2
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0% Help
Bid retractions: 2
Bid retractions (6 months): 4
30-Day Bid History
Category No. of Bids Seller Help Last Bid Help
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Baseball 1 Seller 1 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Hockey-NHL 1 Seller 2 3d

So couldn't the seller, every time he gets a bid retraction email, ban the bidder from his auctions?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Jeff

So he's bid on 2 items in 30 days and retracted both bids.
This one could just be a squirrel.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

Just sent out a double-secret, triple-coded transmission. Some of my operatives are on the case.

The rabbit howls at midnight.

Over and out.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Just sent out a double-secret, triple-coded transmission. Some of my operatives are on the case.

Over and out.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:

Over and out.
I feel better already.

Last edited by Mikehealer; 12-04-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
So he's bid on 2 items in 30 days and retracted both bids.
This one could just be a squirrel.
I suspect not.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

What's in the pocket? I'm genuinely freaked out.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
What's in the pocket? I'm genuinely freaked out.
Triple-Coding Transmittor

Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Banned

Was going to post this in the monthly pickups thread, but it's more appropriate here. Got a half-dozen of them, to be issued ASAP to agents in the field. Confident this is the final piece to end the war on fraud.

The green grass on the leaky bucket speaks no ill will to the man from Nantucket.

Signing off.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Auction - http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Jack-Ch...item54018ab179

details of bidder who retracted $150 bid ...

Bid History: Details
Bidding Details

Bidder Information
Bidder: 0***a ( 53Feedback score is 50 to 99)
Item description: Item Title: T206 Jack Chesbro New York HOF SOVEREIGN 150 Back SGC 50 VG-EX 4
Bids on this item: 0

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 2
Items bid on: 2
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0% Help
Bid retractions: 2
Bid retractions (6 months): 4
30-Day Bid History
Category No. of Bids Seller Help Last Bid Help
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Baseball 1 Seller 1 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Hockey-NHL 1 Seller 2 3d

So couldn't the seller, every time he gets a bid retraction email, ban the bidder from his auctions?
Every bidder in that auction has a high % of bids on Ricks items, 1 of them must have some really fat fingers with 27 bid retractions.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:15 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Ten feet tall and bulletproof
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM

IwantitIwinit,

I would call eBay and complain. Tell them you now know about the questionable things that go on with this sellers' auctions and that you do not appreciate the fact that you might be shilled.

If they don't do anything then I would wait and retract your bid and leave somebody else holding the bag.

David
Old 12-05-2013, 04:57 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Every bidder in that auction has a high % of bids on Ricks items, 1 of them must have some really fat fingers with 27 bid retractions.
I guess I am the only sucker then since this is one of the few cards he autions that I have bid on. This will be the last time. If I win it so be it, but I doubt it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Was going to post this in the monthly pickups thread, but it's more appropriate here. Got a half-dozen of them, to be issued ASAP to agents in the field. Confident this is the final piece to end the war on fraud.

The green grass on the leaky bucket speaks no ill will to the man from Nantucket.

Signing off.

Very initiatives of you.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
IwantitIwinit,

I would call eBay and complain. Tell them you now know about the questionable things that go on with this sellers' auctions and that you do not appreciate the fact that you might be shilled.

If they don't do anything then I would wait and retract your bid and leave somebody else holding the bag.

David
Last night and in the last few minutes I have been emailing with Rick P about this auction of his. That bid retracting person hasn't won anything from him in over 90 days, he says, and ebay allows bid retractions, so he doesn't see an issue. I kindly told him that there is an issue and just because ebay allows it doesn't make it right. He did share literally hundreds of biddrers id's he has blocked. He says he does take action many times and many times it's because of what is said on the forum....and I would imagine other forums too. I told him that I know there are issues with someone retracting multilple times, he knows and the whole world knows it. Just because he denies culpability and no ebay rules are being broken doesn't make it right...
Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

So he doesn't have time to monitor his auctions, yet he has found reason to block hundreds of bidders?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So he doesn't have time to monitor his auctions, yet he has found reason to block hundreds of bidders?
He says he does 20000 auctions a month and doesn't monitor them unless it's brought to his attention.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He says he does 20000 auctions a month and doesn't monitor them unless it's brought to his attention.
It was brought to his attention over a year ago that Joe Panky was shilling his own consgnments and yet some how he didn't get blocked (as a bidder or consignor). Leon, if you speak to him again, please ask Rick why he took no action with Panky.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
I wonder how the Probstein apologists will try to spin that little anecdote.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
I wonder how the Probstein apologists will try to spin that little anecdote.
No need to spin it, they will accept it at face value, and maybe we can get some more misleading calculations to support it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
It was brought to his attention over a year ago that Joe Panky was shilling his own consgnments and yet some how he didn't get blocked (as a bidder or consignor). Leon, if you speak to him again, please ask Rick why he took no action with Panky.
I will.....but I want to go on record as someone who thinks it's crazy to let bidders retract bids almost at will, regardless of ebay policies or not. Do I think Rick is complicit otherwise, no. Do I think he turns the other cheek, so to speak, yes. Do I think he does act on some of the more egregious issues, yes. But I will ask about the Panky issue.....
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Mike Dugan

Sorry to be late and so uninformed but reading all the banter but is Rick safe to buy from? I have picked up a few guides and programs over the past couple of years and it seems like everything went ok. Of course very low dollar and grading is not involved?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:50 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Sorry to be late and so uninformed but reading all the banter but is Rick safe to buy from? I have picked up a few guides and programs over the past couple of years and it seems like everything went ok. Of course very low dollar and grading is not involved?
There has never been any issue that I am aware of with the items he sells not being real. The auctions they are sold in are full of shill bids in many instances.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 12-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
No buying from him is not safe and I will explain in detail in a later thread.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Yld.er Ri.za

Quote:
That bid retracting person hasn't won anything from him in over 90 days, he says, and ebay allows bid retractions, so he doesn't see an issue.
That just says criminal behavior in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Jeff

It may be the case that that the "bid retractor" never had any intention of "winning" anything. So I am not sure what that is supposed to mean.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default A suggestion

Ebay could install a "RETRACT NOW" button to facilitate bid retractions, but I would suggest that in addition to providing the Bid Count in parentheses to scrollers that they provide a Retraction Count as well on each auction page. These could be color coded as demonstrated here.

So if you went to any auction page the line with the current bid would read

$65.00 [35 bids] [4 retractions]

Just an idea to make things easier for all.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:27 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Good idea Frank! BTW nasty thread about problemstein on the post war side.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Ebay could install a "RETRACT NOW" button to facilitate bid retractions, but I would suggest that in addition to providing the Bid Count in parentheses to scrollers that they provide a Retraction Count as well on each auction page. These could be color coded as demonstrated here.

So if you went to any auction page the line with the current bid would read

$65.00 [35 bids] [4 retractions]

Just an idea to make things easier for all.
I suspect that at some point ebay will get rid of the 'bid retractions' information, as it hinders shilling by their larger accounts.