NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2024, 07:46 PM
Greg Mitchell

Default The Future of Type I Photos

I don't know if this has come up before, but here goes.

We all know that a new, major buying trend in recent years has been in vintage Type I photos. I resisted (though have large collection of M101-2, as I am a photog myself) until the past week when I won a Ruth and a Mays.

But here is what I am wondering. Of course, rarity/scarcity has been a big deal for a long time. But the top players always draw much value even when dozens, hundreds, even thousands of a particular card or issue exist.

Yet, in many cases, Type I photos can be one of a kind or at least very few of a kind, with little chance that more will surface. PSA authenticates and presents them nicely in jumbo holders and the images are usually great--and in large size, and god bless them, usually without "centering" issues. Sometimes they were taken by the most famous baseball photogs.

Anyway: As much as many of these have surged in value, shouldn't they actually go much higher in the future--due to the scarcity thing? Or even comparing similar images and size: Just for example, why should a Ruth Butterfinger or Ruth Quaker Oats, of which there are at least dozens, be worth more than a nice, similar, but nothing special Type I Ruth which might be one or three of a kind? Or pick your own examples of photo vs. card. Why should a Gehrig Goudey, almost too numerous to count, be worth more than a Type I Gehrig with a unique or nearly unique large image? Well, you get the idea.

Last edited by GregMitch34; 05-07-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:03 PM
Brian Dalrymple

I agree that certain Type 1 photos are just breathtaking and with a scarcity as you mentioned (one or few of a kind), only have room to run. Make it a coveted player, playing days, maybe even a little provenance or something unique about the photo and well you get this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53098928885_3d16b60d5b_o (1).jpg (138.0 KB, 584 views)
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums

Last edited by anchorednw; 05-07-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:39 PM
W@de

There are hundreds to probably thousands of photos out there of the big name guys of each era like WaJo, Ruth, Mays, Jackie, etc. The ones that will truly surge in value are going to have to have story, come from a historic event, be a card image, and/or just breathtaking imagery.

The reason they aren't now is because of demand. He supply of Ruth imagery seems never ending as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img014 (1).jpg (51.5 KB, 562 views)

Last edited by Swadewade51; 05-07-2024 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:26 AM
Greg Mitchell

Yes, thousands of images of these guys--but vast number are not duplicated, unlike cards with same images, sometimes thousands each. And yes, demand not so high right now but my question is why and why won't that change in era where rarity seems to count so much. And yes, plenty of so-so images but then again most card images are so-so and look like each other....
Old 05-08-2024, 12:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What really kicked card collecting into the stratosphere was the registry. Collecting became a dick measuring contest of sorts for many people. A race … a game … one more thing to win. Collecting photos doesn’t have that aspect because, as we know these photos are rare, there is no population report.

To me, photos over cards every day of the week. Look at Hunts Christy Mathewson auction. Stunning stuff.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-08-2024 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:44 AM

Try as I may, I have never learned lesson of rarity vs scarcity. I seem to specialize in rare Yankee photos that do not have a lot of demand. Here is a possibly unique Bain photo of Alex Burr who played 1 game in 1914 and then went to war, dying in France in a flying accident. Also a Walter Bernhardt Conlon photo from Culver archive, who played 1 game in 1918 coming directly from Penn with no minor league experience, went to war and never returned to baseball. Someday my ship will come in...LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burr Alex 1914 Bain original photo.jpg (182.0 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg Bernhardt Walter Conlon Original Photo.jpg (118.5 KB, 498 views)

PreWar NYAL cards, photos, etc.
WantList: Mendelsohns Marsans; Rose 760PC Niles; Koester Mitchell; Koester Ferguson;1924 Diaz Roettger
Successful deals with 60+ board members
Old 05-08-2024, 08:40 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Yes, thousands of images of these guys--but vast number are not duplicated, unlike cards with same images, sometimes thousands each. And yes, demand not so high right now but my question is why and why won't that change in era where rarity seems to count so much. And yes, plenty of so-so images but then again most card images are so-so and look like each other....
I started collecting Type 1 snapshot photos about 10+ years ago.
At the time very..very..few collectors. Hardly any photos at auction houses.

...now....you are starting to see a strong steady increase of photo lots being added and even some auctions are only Type 1 photos.

It will increase in the future. It's happening now, especially the past few years.

However, photos are not mainstreamed yet vs cards. They are not formatted to a set. Due to them being so unique and different, there's no real price guide. It's the wild wild west with pricing to some degree.

So why the increase? One reason I think, collectors are being out paced with tradition cards cost and fatigue of seeing the same cards over and over again (add in there fraud issues too).....Where as photos offer something truly uniquely special on all levels (as Brian D. stated above) and collectors are starting to connect with that.

Would you rather see a newly discovered photo of Ted Williams or the same Ted Williams cards? For me, I still love cards, but I pick the photos.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 05-08-2024 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:14 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
But here is what I am wondering. Of course, rarity/scarcity has been a big deal for a long time. But the top players always draw much value even when dozens, hundreds, even thousands of a particular card or issue exist. Yet, in many cases, Type I photos can be one of a kind or at least very few of a kind, with little chance that more will surface. PSA authenticates and presents them nicely in jumbo holders and the images are usually great--and in large size, and god bless them, usually without "centering" issues. Sometimes they were taken by the most famous baseball photogs. Anyway: As much as many of these have surged in value, shouldn't they actually go much higher in the future--due to the scarcity thing? Or even comparing similar images and size: Just for example, why should a Ruth Butterfinger or Ruth Quaker Oats, of which there are at least dozens, be worth more than a nice, similar, but nothing special Type I Ruth which might be one or three of a kind? Or pick your own examples of photo vs. card. Why should a Gehrig Goudey, almost too numerous to count, be worth more than a Type I Gehrig with a unique or nearly unique large image? Well, you get the idea.
Cards will always be the proverbial 800 pound gorilla of the hobby, with autographs second, then memorabilia including photos. It's exactly the uniformity of cards and autographs that lends itself to pop reports, price guides, etc., and places them alongside the big boys of collecting, stamps and coins. Photos are too individual to lend themselves to that kind of cataloguing, but, like everything else in the hobby, photos--and especially great ones--have been on a tear in the last few years, so it's not like they're falling between the cracks. I suspect that collecting top photos now, like other premium examples of memorabilia, will prove to be a smart investment down the road, perhaps even more so than cards or autographs. I don't know why that wouldn't be the case. I was floored today when I got the Heritage mailer with their WaJo uni on the cover with an auction estimate of 3M+. I was in Boston in 2006 when Sothebys/SCP ran that same uni in a very prestigious live auction, and if memory serves correctly, it went for somewhere around 150K. What happened to make it now worth more than 20 times that much? I don't know, although I really can't see it doing anything like 3M today. Just my opinion, though, and what the heck do I know.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:38 AM
Greg Mitchell

Good points, but what makes photos different from other memorabilia is that they are closer to "cards"--similar shape, often similar images or type of images (though not art/illustrations), but larger in size. A little easier to compare to cards than a ball or shirt of cap or bat.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:46 AM
Paul Lehr

I love collecting Type 1 photos. Early photography is so much more interesting to me than most cards. As with card collecting, I tend to focus more on the obscure or second/third tier players as opposed to the elite HOF'ers, as I feel like these guys typically have more of a story to tell/discover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conlon.jpg (71.4 KB, 427 views)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:17 AM

One thing that seemingly hasn't happened yet is insiders making their way into news storage facilities and looting them like rare books/maps/etc and libraries.

It's hard to know how many are out there waiting to be "leaked" from their storage or newspapers/media figuring out those old photos are a hot revenue stream.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:29 AM

Photos have always been more about the story to me than anything else. As a collectible, it marries so many elements together, each of which is compelling: subject, event, photographer, location, etc. This makes photos unique. I worry that they’re being treated as commodities in the collecting marketplace currently, being flipped by dealers to capitalize on their popularity, driven mainly by “Type”. Seasoned collectors that appreciate the story will always hold photos in higher regard though. Many of them are museum pieces, one of a handful known to exist. I hope they continue to be treated that way.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:48 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
One thing that seemingly hasn't happened yet is insiders making their way into news storage facilities and looting them like rare books/maps/etc and libraries. It's hard to know how many are out there waiting to be "leaked" from their storage or newspapers/media figuring out those old photos are a hot revenue stream.
I'm sure that's been going on for years. About 15 years ago, a notorious hobby figure named John Rogers set about buying all of the old newspaper photo archives he could get his hands on, and he got a lot by offering the owners significant money for something they had come to perceive as worth little and in fact costing them in storage space. Rogers was buying and selling thousands of photos a years for several years until he got busted for fraud in not paying his obligations and other nefarious activities. I don't know what happened to the photos he had when his operation went down.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:05 PM
W@de

The "type" class is overrated much like most of what PSA does. You can get the swing of what's a vintage print on your own. There's gold in blank backs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2024, 07:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Velox snap of The Beast with the Cubs

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-10-2024, 08:12 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Here's my all-time favorite photo...

Old 05-10-2024, 08:25 AM

Mine as well, and yours is the best-conditioned copy of this I’ve ever seen. Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

Old 05-10-2024, 09:26 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Mine as well, and yours is the best-conditioned copy of this I’ve ever seen. Congrats!!
Wow. Incredible!
Old 05-10-2024, 09:43 AM

Great back story if you haven’t read…

https://sabr.org/journal/article/the...-game-in-1910/

Quote:

Old 05-10-2024, 10:39 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

Incredible
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:

Incredible Jeff!!
Old Today, 12:23 AM
Jay Cee

Awesome All Star photo Jeff, and here’s my All Star photo thanks to your recommendation to buy it years ago which is my favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE8FB4B9-85E6-4903-B0BB-EE6BD42D675C.jpg (176.6 KB, 51 views)