NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Bill Gregory

Default AAAARGH! 5 months!

5 months I have been looking for an ungraded 1977 Topps Robin Yount that I feel could possibly grade for a PSA 9. I haven't checked the past few days. I just forgot. So I check today, a couple are close, but the centering on the best one I found just wasn't good enough because of the tilt.

Joe's Vintage sports cards. CLoser than most, but not close enough.

So, for bleeps and giggles, I checked the cards that had recently sold.

Sigh. That card has an excellent chance at being that 9. This set is ridiculously hard to get clean cards. Either the centering, or the corners and edges are chipped, or there's a diamond cut, or the inside centering is off, or the surface is scuffed. It's just hard to find a high grade in this set.

Oh well, the quest continues!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Sean Sullivan

Oh, I hate it when that happens. BUT, looking at that card, something seems slightly off to me on the bottom right border. I am not sure it would have made a 9. To me, the bottom border looks thinner than the top.
Hopefully, that makes you feel slightly better.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:29 PM

I'm sure you've also seen lots of surface bubbles on these cards, many of which will prevent the "MINT" grade from ever happening.

Good luck with the hunt, Bill! (5 months really isn't all that long... )
Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Keep the faith Bill and good luck.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:11 PM

Due to sheet placement or misalignment during the printing process, this card is very prone to tilt. Even the recent PSA 10 that ended with PWCC has a slight tilt (most evident when viewing the reverse scan). I notice the same tilt on many PSA 9s (I cheated a bit by buying a PSA 9 already graded, but it's a tough card even going that route).

Bottom line... just look at that photo on the card. The perfect capture of a moment in time and simply a great action shot. Once again, '77 Topps knocks it out of the park. Here's the PWCC PSA 10...

Last edited by CW; 11-10-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Bill Gregory

Thank you, guys.

Sean, I will trust your eye. Looking at it again, I can see what you're referring to. My question is how would a grader for PSA view it, and would it be worth knocking down more than a half grade or so? I've seen many cards before and after, before they've been sent off, and after they've come back from PSA, and I'm often baffled by the grades they get. So much of it just seems like a crap shoot (can we say that in this context? I hope so. I guess a mod will let me know). I've seen some 9s that I thought were 8s. I've seen some 8s that were 9s. I guess this is why cracking happens. A lot of the time, it's hoping to get a sticker with a higher number, so it can be sold for more. But I have to believe that sometimes a collector will crack just because they don't agree with the grade.

Chuck,

I agree that card's got just a magnificent action shot. It's one of my favorite Yount cards for just that reason. Since I'm building his master set as PSA 9 +, and the 1975 Topps is going to cost me a bloody fortune, I'm trying to find a 9 before it gets to PSA to save a little bit. I may go that route, too, with the '75, especially since I know if I only get an 8 back on the first sub, I can just put that into my 1975 Topps set.

You know what really does it for me on that 10? There are no print flaws at all. None of the bubbles that far too often ruin an otherwise beautiful card (beautiful submission-wise). But this one not only has no print flaws, there is no extraneous ink anywhere. No random colored pixels anywhere. The white borders of the card are perfectly white. The actual picture itself is clean. It's about as beautiful a '77 card as I've seen.

And you're right, 5 months isn't too long. It's nothing compared to how long I ended up looking for this card:

I think I spent about three years in total trying to acquire this card. It's the most gorgeous modern football card set I've ever seen. There's a great checklist for the set, too, including Joe Montana. That's a set I will eventually build...slowly. But the point is here, I never give up. Patience will be required when I start pursuing some of the tougher pre-war sets, so I should be ok for the prolonged fight.

You two guys have great eyes. I love getting feedback from you guys, as a couple extra sets of trained eyes helps me. I'd love to get Matt's input here, too.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.