NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2015, 08:14 PM
pete ullman

Default PWCC Auctions Ending tonight

Wow...PWCC has some impressive cards about to sell on ebay...3 nice Cy Young, glove showing T206's in mid grade...Ruth rookie VG at 75K!

Wow!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Robert Williams

Yea...I think my consignments got lost in the shuffle. Maybe we are experiencing auction overload. But, yea, he has nice stuff.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Derek Granger

...not to mention the gorgeous 1907 Wolverine News Cobb that sold for $10,767!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Sean Costello

I know that it's a small item, but I tried for the Shonen Kulubu Babe Ruth. I didn't get it.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
...not to mention the gorgeous 1907 Wolverine News Cobb that sold for $10,767!

That's just dumb.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
That's just dumb.
agreed. especially since postcards suck.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Val Kehl

PWCC had some nice-condition D350-3 Standard Biscuit cards that ended tonight. I was hoping to win this WaJo at a reasonable price, but it went for a good bit more that I was willing to pay. The card has a very prominent vertical printing flaw that significantly reduced its eye appeal to me. IMHO, the high bidders were bidding on the holder, rather than on the card.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-D350-3-...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Dan Bl@u

I was really excited and fortunate to pick up this card tonight - it stayed just within my range. Looks like a beautiful card for the grade, I couldn't find anything in the scans that would keep it out of a "4" holder. Can't wait to add it to my set (which I decided to build after winning a few '39 PBs during the break here a couple weeks ago).

Old 02-05-2015, 03:42 PM
A.J. Johnson

Congrats to the winners of those super nice 1914 Cracker Jack examples - all PSA 5 and above. Lots of new pricing data to add to the good ole VCP
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Larry

Quote:
That's just dumb.
[re the 1907 Wolverine News Cobb]

No, it's just rare and significant at work, a formula which works exceedingly well in any collectibles field--behold the 1967 Corvette L88 (racing version of the 427, then making about 560 HP). They only made 20 that year, and perhaps half that survive. $20,000 or less would have gotten you a good one in the '80's. Now, $3.5 --$4 million without any strain at all. Early '60's racing/roadgoing Ferrari's, with an original price tag of say $10-20 K--can you say 8 figures now?

Postcards such as the Cobb or the Exhibits that followed are just another form of baseball cards--not used to sell any other product, but rather they themselves were the product, kind of like when Topps eliminated gum! In my view, they are the higher end baseball cards, analogous to 1989 Upper Deck, featuring far better quality image reproduction of the players, as opposed to other products of the era, and even until the Topps cards of the fifties. Look for this one, the W600, and the Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb to follow the path of the 1914 Baltimore News Ruth over the long term. Oh my, wasn't that one a bit oversized too???

Everybody should buy what they like, but don't let a narrow view foreclose you from quite substantial appreciation potential in the coming decades.

With all due respect,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 02-05-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

What makes it so significant? There are multiple Cobb postcard issues from 1907 (and one from 1906 if you count the w601 pc). There are also in my opinion much better looking Cobb postcards (Rose, Hubel, ALPC, Novelty Cutlery) that are much more rare than the Wolverine News. No chance this card is ever in the same conversation as the Balt News Ruth or even the w600 Cobb.

Again, all just my opinion. It's all relative of course, money could be meaningless to the winner. But to me, that price is dumb.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
[re the 1907 Wolverine News Cobb]

No, it's just rare and significant at work, a formula which works exceedingly well in any collectibles field--behold the 1967 Corvette L88 (racing version of the 427, then making about 560 HP). They only made 20 that year, and perhaps half that survive. $20,000 or less would have gotten you a good one in the '80's. Now, $3.5 --$4 million without any strain at all. Early '60's racing/roadgoing Ferrari's, with an original price tag of say $10-20 K--can you say 8 figures now?

Postcards such as the Cobb or the Exhibits that followed are just another form of baseball cards--not used to sell any other product, but rather they themselves were the product, kind of like when Topps eliminated gum! In my view, they are the higher end baseball cards, analogous to 1989 Upper Deck, featuring far better quality image reproduction of the players, as opposed to other products of the era, and even until the Topps cards of the fifties. Look for this one, the W600, and the Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb to follow the path of the 1914 Baltimore News Ruth over the long term. Oh my, wasn't that one a bit oversized too???

Everybody should buy what they like, but don't let a narrow view foreclose you from quite substantial appreciation potential in the coming decades.

With all due respect,

Larry
God I hope your right.......................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb1907ACDietscheAutoPSADNA.jpg (73.8 KB, 435 views)
Old 02-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Larry

Quote:
What makes it so significant? There are multiple Cobb postcard issues from 1907 (and one from 1906 if you count the w601 pc). There are also in my opinion much better looking Cobb postcards (Rose, Hubel, ALPC, Novelty Cutlery) that are much more rare than the Wolverine News. No chance this card is ever in the same conversation as the Balt News Ruth or even the w600 Cobb.

Again, all just my opinion. It's all relative of course, money could be meaningless to the winner. But to me, that price is dumb.
The very same characteristics that make the '14 Baltimore New Ruth significant. My best recollection is that that one came out of the gate in a 1989 auction at $6,000.

Wish you all the best, Jeff. Your posts are some of the most knowledgeable on the board, and I always enjoy reading them. Perhaps we can meet at the National some time,

Larry
Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
God I hope your right.......................
Nice card Dan. That autograph makes up for a lot!!! Incidentally, REA characterized the Fielding Pose Cobb as "beyond rare."

All the best,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 02-05-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
Perhaps we can meet at the National some time,

Larry
For sure, I'll be there, first round on me.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Default Prices rising

Been watching some of the items closely and was surprised at the values for the 1951 Bowman Mantle 2.5 and the Christy white cap 6. Both went for a few hundred more than I would have guessed. I watch em closely As I have both cards (mantle Psa 4 and Christy Psa 5) and use this to see what the current market value is.

1933 Goudey Ruths seemed to have planed out at a steady price.

Still kinda surprised ruth strip card go for so little. I have one from 1919 featuring a pitching pose (w512). IT's beat to hell so Id be lucky to get $200 flat. A ruth card, strip or not, where he's pitching as a Yankee for a couple hundred or $350 if it's in great shape? Seems low considering the man had so few cards in the major sets.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
That's just dumb.
Now, by 'dumb' are you meaning 'sick'?

I have trouble keeping up with you young whipper-snappers and your street language.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-06-2015, 05:09 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
By dumb, he means if you or I had auctioned that card on Ebay, it would have brought 50% less.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

I have trouble keeping up with you young whipper-snappers and your street language.
You are confusing "dumb" with "sick". My understanding is "dumb" is still stupid but "sick" is awesome.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
Been watching some of the items closely and was surprised at the values for the 1951 Bowman Mantle 2.5 and the Christy white cap 6. Both went for a few hundred more than I would have guessed. I watch em closely As I have both cards (mantle Psa 4 and Christy Psa 5) and use this to see what the current market value is.

1933 Goudey Ruths seemed to have planed out at a steady price.

Still kinda surprised ruth strip card go for so little. I have one from 1919 featuring a pitching pose (w512). IT's beat to hell so Id be lucky to get $200 flat. A ruth card, strip or not, where he's pitching as a Yankee for a couple hundred or $350 if it's in great shape? Seems low considering the man had so few cards in the major sets.
I agree with you on the strips Bryan. In the last few months I've been able to pick up a W514 and W515 Ruth both in PSA 4 and a W551 Ruth/Cobb panel in SGC 80 for about what it would have cost for a single Goudey Ruth in PSA 4. Now I'm sure many will disagree and say that money would have been better spent on the Goudey, but I really like the strips and they are harder to come by than any of the Goudey's...which admittedly doesn't (or hasn't) translated into demand.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

funny thing is that the Cobb Wolverine went for 1K less than what it previously sold for.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Wow, really? What auction? Your Steel Tubes Cobb is another example of a Cobb postcard I'd much much much rather have.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

I can't remember which auction it was but I saw it in VCP (when PWCC listed his auctions I did the 1 day VCP membership and got a ton of info on PWCC's auctions). I agree on the Steel Tubes as it more rare (only 5 known I think) than the Wolverine News, although I would like to own one of those someday but before I ever saw a Steel Tube the Dietsche batting was my favorite Cobb but its now been bumped to #2 on my favorite Cobb list!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

The price was high but not surprising. It's a very early Cobb PC (arguably a first card), a very popular image of Cobb and it's the highest graded by far. A decent, low graded version costs 3K. 10K for a very high grade of it, very rare for its grade? If I was spending 10K on a PC, that would be one I'd consider (if I had all the other PCs of Cobb I wanted too).
Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
The price was high but not surprising. It's a very early Cobb PC (arguably a first card), a very popular image of Cobb and it's the highest graded by far. A decent, low graded version costs 3K. 10K for a very high grade of it, very rare for its grade? If I was spending 10K on a PC, that would be one I'd consider (if I had all the other PCs of Cobb I wanted too).
There is another one of these somewhere Jeff. You really need one .

Old 02-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Leon, that's a beauty!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is another one of these somewhere Jeff. You really need one .

LOL it took me years to realize that you can't get them all, although God knows I tried.