NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2005, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default 1939 Spanish Cromos Ruth

Posted By: leon

picked this up recently....it's on paper thin stock. By any chance does anyone know anything about these? It wasn't too expensive and it's Ruth AND I can use it for my collection....just don't know more than what the seller said...which is :

"After the Spanish War (1936-1939) the first albums to appear were issued by Editorial "El Gato Negro" (The black cat), which later changed its name to Editorial Bruguera, becoming the reference in the market of "cromos" until the end of the sixties.

In Spain, what we call "cromos" are supposed to be glued on the albums; in fact, if you ever see a cromo like the one in auction again, you'll see it glued to an album, and taking into account that the cromo is made of thin paper and the glue used at that time is extremely strong, cromo and album are a unity for ever.

As already said the cromo is made of thin paper, and its size is 12.1cm x 8.7cm (i.e.. 4.76 x 3.42 inches)

In other words, taking into account the impressive size of the cromo, the material the cromo is made of and the custom of the Spaniards to glue everything for ever, the cromo in auction is a miracle of survival."

Old 10-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman

Hi Leon. The Spanish Ruth card is profiled on the Old Cardboard website at: http://www.oldcardboard.com/foreign/spain/sportsmen/sportsmen.asp?cardsetID=1223

The set was also featured in our June 2005 eNewsletter at:
http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/ref.asp

Happy Collecting...
Lyman

Old 10-31-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Hey Leon,

I've seen the Cromos Ruth cards on Ebay for years, but I've always kept my distance. My first reason is because it's uglier than snot. Secondly, until the 2006 SCD reported it, I wasn't so sure the care was pre-1950. The card has a 1950's Topps feel to it..and I previously thought it to be from that timeframe, which is outside of my collecting interest. Anyways, in the past the Cromo's on Ebay have typically sold for between $20-50.

E.