NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 AM
Cole Hibbard

I messaged this guy asking if hed get it graded when he initially had a no reserve auction for it and he didnt seem like he wanted to. Its gotta be a fake... the thing is, though, he had some other pretty high dollar cards that sold at prices as if people thought they were genuine, so you never know

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
I messaged this guy asking if he’d get it graded when he initially had a no reserve auction for it and he didn’t seem like he wanted to. It’s gotta be a fake... the thing is, though, he had some other pretty high dollar cards that sold at prices as if people thought they were genuine, so you never know
Only SGC or Beckett will grade the blank backs and your best hope is an A with SGC (no grade numbers) so I am not sure that would even suffice most people who want it graded (i.e. through PSA).

Last edited by murphy8276; 03-30-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Jason Simonds

Its real. At least his other stuff is real. I bought one of the 1951 Bowman Mantles and it was as advertised.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Im not a huge fan of grading but if I was spending $30,000 you're damn right I want it graded.
Don't go higher than $15,000.- it has no back
Old 03-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Luke Lyon

That's a really cool card. Surprised the comments are so negative. I'd love to own it.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
That's a really cool card. Surprised the comments are so negative. I'd love to own it.
Agreed. Seems to happen a lot on threads like this. Maybe it is envy, being skeptical or something in between but this seems to be the current status here. Just look at the Cobb BL 460 thread for negativity.

As far as a blank back Leafs are concerned, they absolutely do exist however they far more rare than wrong backs and are 100% legit. I think that SGC will holder them. And if I am not mistaken all blank backs and wrong backs are limited to just the short prints. Sure that Ted and Anthony could speak more to this.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:04 PM

I think Ted has said he collected Leafs back in 1948-49.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Leaf is notorious for its blank backs, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one without a slab. There are too many really nice looking counterfeits (or 'reproductions' as the first sellers call them) on eBay in the Leaf world. Run a search for any marquee Leaf card and the repros come floating up.

As for grading, SGC has been inconsistent in its treatment of blank backs, even in the same order:

This was in Sports Collectors Daily:

I also question the price of the card assuming it is genuine. I have been collecting print freaks for many years. The only issue I've ever seen that really benefits financially from a major printing blow is T206, and I am not sure that a blank backed Plank would command a premium over a comparable complete one. There are a number of specialty collectors who'd pay extra for print freaks of players they happen to collect but that is a pretty small group, especially when you are talking elite pricing to begin with. I might drop a few bucks on a blank back specimen as an ancillary item for my main collection (as I did with the Aaron) but not the sort of money the seller wants. His other blank backs were overpriced by a factor of 10 IMO.

As for which cards might be found blank backed, it is entirely a happenstance event due to a missed printing pass on a full sheet. Whatever is on the sheet will end up blanked. We know Leaf used 49-card sheets, so there should be 49 blank backed cards out there from the sheet that yielded the Paige and probably the others the seller has.

Anyhooo, that's my $0.02 worth from the freaks and geeks collecting world...which is about the right valuation...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-30-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:56 PM
A.J. Johnson

too bad it's off center. :-)

that's one hell of a nice card. Count me in as one who would love to own it. $30k might be right for the rarity? PSA 1's are going for $7500+

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 03-30-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Bill

Besides, who ever heard of Leroy Paige??