NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2018, 05:18 PM

Default Depressing

It's been mentioned in the past that the hobby is going the direction of newer players, and the pre-war stuff may end up having the bottom fall out. While I don't completely agree with that statement, I just decided to search "PSA" on Ebay and sort by highest price first to see what's out there. Plenty of cards in the deep 6-digit range ($500k Thomas the Train card was entertaining). But, almost no pre-war anywhere near the top. Sure, people can ask whatever they want and it's no indication of value. But, even when you filter by sold cards, there are still plenty of people paying $50-100k for cards produced in the past 20 years. I won't tell folks what to spend their money on and it's obviously reflective of supply and demand. It still has me shaking my head. $50k for a Stanton refractor or$120k for a Lebron jersey card?

On a positive note, maybe this eventually drops the price of mid-grade 33' Goudey Ruths and T206 Cobbs to my price range.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
On a positive note, maybe this eventually drops the price of mid-grade 33' Goudey Ruths and T206 Cobbs to my price range.

This!!

I am hoping that I don't lose the entire value of my collection but I am a collector first and foremost. I am already dreading what it will cost me as I continue to move back years and begin collecting pre-war in the next few years. A price break on the sets I hope to collect will do wonders in the household!

1952 Bowman (prefer a graded Mantle)

1970's Football and Basketball Sets
Old 03-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
It's been mentioned in the past that the hobby is going the direction of newer players, and the pre-war stuff may end up having the bottom fall out. While I don't completely agree with that statement, I just decided to search "PSA" on Ebay and sort by highest price first to see what's out there. Plenty of cards in the deep 6-digit range ($500k Thomas the Train card was entertaining). But, almost no pre-war anywhere near the top. Sure, people can ask whatever they want and it's no indication of value. But, even when you filter by sold cards, there are still plenty of people paying $50-100k for cards produced in the past 20 years. I won't tell folks what to spend their money on and it's obviously reflective of supply and demand. It still has me shaking my head. $50k for a Stanton refractor or$120k for a Lebron jersey card?

Go check prices realized on a Heritage auction. You'll feel better.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Be glad. We all started off collecting new cards. It's a natural progression which only insures the future of our hobby.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Be glad. We all started off collecting new cards. It's a natural progression which only insures the future of our hobby.
Agreed. Many people colecting Trout, Judge et.al. today will move to Mantle, Ryan, Koufax and then to prewar. I'm sure plenty of us did the same thing. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of people collecting 50's and 60's PSA registry items move to prewar stuff eventually too.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Lonnie Nagel

The Pre War Pool is still to deep for me.... Luckily tho, I find that the 50's just seem to scratch an itch for me......
Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Eddie S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Go check prices realized on a Heritage auction. You'll feel better.
Correct. Searching by highest price on eBay and extrapolating out that people are more willing to spend huge cash on new cards is at least somewhat faulty because so much of the really top-level pre-war stuff doesn't get sold on eBay; it gets sold at places like REA, Heritage, Goldin.

How many Lebron jersey cards or Stanton refractors do you suppose will be up for auction at REA this year?

Last edited by Bored5000; 03-30-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:19 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Prewar seems very strong to me.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Dan Bretta

How many if those “new” cards are one back injury, positive drug test or scandal away from losing all value? The good thing about Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Mantle et cetera is that nothing can ever damage their reputations from this point on.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Agreed. Many people colecting Trout, Judge et.al. today will move to Mantle, Ryan, Koufax and then to prewar. I'm sure plenty of us did the same thing. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of people collecting 50's and 60's PSA registry items move to prewar stuff eventually too.
Yes I also started out buying new cards back in the 80's. The big(crazy) difference is back then when we bought the new must have cards we usually spent less than $100. So when they became worthless in a year or 2 it sucked but was not a huge deal. Now the new must have cards are selling for 5 and 6 figures. The only thing that is the same is most are worthless after a couple years.