NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default Anyone here done business with Chris Long Management?

I've won an eBay auction from someone, paid about 3 hours after the auction via Paypal, and am now in email wars with him... docgodzilla / Chris Long Management.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I've won an eBay auction from someone, paid about 3 hours after the auction via Paypal, and am now in email wars with him... docgodzilla / Chris Long Management.

Never heard of him, what's the beef - did you pay too fast?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Jim VB

Quote:

Never heard of him, but what could he be "warring" over? You won the auction. You paid the bill. Now he has to ship the goods. Simple, right?

Edited to say: Jeff and I are working as a team this afternoon.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-02-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Frank Wakefield

I won a raw T206. My callous email here hit a nerve with him.....

Hello there,

I've processed Paypal payment for this. $4 seems high for mailing it, if you manage to mail it for less than that please refund some postage. I'm super patient, so mail when convenient, no rush. Thanks. And, if whoever bought Lundgren or Leifield don't pay, please contact me, I'll buy them.

Thanks.

With kind regards,

Frank Wakefield.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-02-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Jim VB

In a sense, I can see why questioning postage AFTER the auction might bother him. If he stated what the charge was in the listing, then you can't really question it.

However, if he charges you $4.00, then tosses it in an envelope with a 44 cent stamp on it... then you can nail him with the "stars" part of the feedback.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Frank Wakefield

Yes, Jim, the $4 was there up front. I processed payment with the $4 in there, and then sent that email... it has "please" in it.

I got a Hindu backed T206 once in an envelope. Stamp on envelope, in a top loader, no sleeve. It had one stamp on it, and I had to pay a bit postage due on it.

And I've gotten cards in a bubble envelope with 2 stamps on the outside, postage due, which I paid... I think about 78 cents postage was on it, it needed a dollar something, I'd paid $4 shipping for that.

Maybe it will all work out. Maybe he's busy scraping at the back of the card before he sends it... I just didn't think that email was that insensitive with it being sent after I'd paid the shipping. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think what Frank did was reasonable enough, paid to show he wasn't going to be difficult about it, but asked the guy for some consideration.

Speaking of postage, some day I am going to affix an address label and postage to an actual slab and mail it lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Jim VB

I didn't think your email was "that insensitive" either, but I have resigned myself to paying whatever the seller asks, factoring it into my bid, and, if they don't sent in a method appropriate with their fee, I do their stars to reflect it.

For $4.00 I would expect a sleeve and a toploader, wrapped in cardboard and tape, in some sort of bubble mailer. By the time a guy buys a bubble mailer, toploader, sleeve, etc., and drives to the Post Office, he's into it for a couple of bucks.

For anything over that charge, I'd expect Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation.

But, if you felt the $4.00 was too high, you could have asked before the auction was over.

But, from your email, it certainly doesn't sound like you were trying to start a war.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
R Dixon

Default My Take

I don't want to get into a "message board war", but I would be a little pissy if I got that email from an auction winner after an auction. The underbidder surely factored in the shipping cost in their bid.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think what Frank did was reasonable enough, paid to show he wasn't going to be difficult about it, but asked the guy for some consideration.
I agree that it was a reasonable enough question, but I probably would have asked before bidding. I personally wouldn't say anything about the postage after the fact and would leave appropriate feedback about sellers shipping fees. I don't think $4.00 is really that unreasonable for stamp, supplies, time & sometimes gas.

I can certainly see where the seller might be like wtf. You bid and won, now you want to address the shipping fee.

Just my take.

r/
Frank
Old 08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Archive

Is his Ebay user name docgodzilla or docgodzilla213?

I have dealt with the latter and emailed him a question about the back series on a raw T206. He told me that it was a 350 series. So I bid high on the card and when it arrived it was a 150 series. I kept the card and chalked it up as a lesson learned.

Quite possible they are the same guy.

Jantz
Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 PM
FredYoung

Got to be docgodzilla213 from CA--The other name is in Germany & has never sold anything.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Dan Bretta

I had a perfect 5.0 on my shipping charges star until some guy complained after he won about shipping charges even though they were listed in the auction. It was for a vintage magazine (which btw can NOT be shipped via media mail). I charged a whopping $3 to ship the magazine and he still hit me on the shipping star. I've since blocked him from bidding on my auctions.

When I'm buying if the shipping is high I just take notice and see how they ship it to me...some guy recently sent me an autographed photo which he charged me $6 shipping on and sent it in an envelope with no protection at all which cost him $1.30. I gave positive feedback, but ripped him on his shipping star.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

This is a thread about $4.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
There's a thread about millions, and a thread about four bucks. Lol, it's all about fairness!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Joe M.

I would probably charge $3.00 to ship the card, so $4.00 is ok. I actually like to ship priority mail, safer in the hard cardboard box. Myself, I don't mind paying a little more for safe shipping.

Joe

Last edited by jcmtiger; 08-02-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Negative, it's about the difference between $4 and the guy's actual shipping cost.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Joe M.

Dan, why can't a vintage magazine be shipped Media Mail? I have done that many times. Maybe I am breaking some rules.

Joe
Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Default new USPS tighting down rules

They have advertising, albeit 50+years old
Old 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default ebay

I won a T206 MALARKEY raw auction off of him. No problems card came as decribed $4 shipping, don't think he used delivery confirmation, just a brown bubble mailer if I recall but it came...

Last edited by rp12367; 08-02-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Strange...I just got an old CPU (if you remember this, you have been collecting a long time) and it was shipped media mail...btw, a '52 Mantle could have been had for $800 in vg and a '41 Ted Williams for $75!

As to Frank's problem...the question was fair...I got a package about a month ago postage due after I paid $4.50 s/h. It was in a bubble mailer with one stamp and I ended up paying $1 and change to get the envelope. When I email the seller for a refund of shipping he told me that I could not prove it...I sent him a scan of the front of the envelope. He sent several nasty emails which I ignored...I then gave him neutral feedback and one star on shipping and will not buy from him again...

If I recall...

It is against the law to overcharge and make a profit on shipping costs.

Joshua
Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
If I recall...

It is against the law to overcharge and make a profit on shipping costs.

Joshua
I would doubt that since almost everything you order off of television includes a "handling" charge...for a while I think the Ebay sell it shops charged $5 handling on every ebay auction no matter if you picked it up in person or had it shipped.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Steve Birmingham

I bought 5 raw t206s from him a couple weeks ago. Not bad, a bit of extra shipping, Upgraded to priority with conf and ins. Not really all that well packed. Bubble envelope, cards in cut up pages inside toploaders, All wrapped loosely in some cardboard. Not tight enough to keep the cards from getting out of the toploaders a bit, fortunately the one that stuck out and got a bit sideways was also in pretty rough shape, The corner that was hanging out couldn't have been damaged much more. One card was not as good as described, but 3 were a little better than I'd thought. With small pics I usually assume hidden problems. Overall, not a bad seller, but not great either.

Steve B
Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Frank Wakefield

I have enjoyed all of the comments above...

I'll drive to the post office to pick the card up, I use a post office box. If I've sold anything that's going out that day, I'll mail it at the same time. My point, the idea of charging for gasoline or driving to the post office as part of the shipping seems a stretch to me. The guy has 4.8's in 4 catagories, and 4.6 in shipping and handling. And $4 to mail a T206 is probably why.

I visited NYC last year, saw 2 plays, ate at the Boat House, went to the Met, did touristy stuff... I'm well aware that $4 is an inconsequential amount in New York for investors, advisers, lawyers and such. $4 barely still is of significance down here in the hills of Kentucky. Sorry if this minutia frustrates or annoys some of you. I just got back from a Hot Rods game (class A Rays affiliate) where my tailing fastball crossed the plate for one of the honorary first pitches. The one beer I bought cost $5, they're only $2 on Thirsty Thursday's. http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/p....jsp&sid=t2498

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-03-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Dan Bretta

$4 is a dollar more than I would charge and I use bubble mailers and top loaders and drive to the post office and I figure most times I'm breaking even or coming out ahead a little bit...maybe he pays some kid a buck for every package to pack them? My brother used to pay me a buck for every package...I could do about 50 or 60 in a couple of hours.

edited to add: I just read that after I posted it and that's a lot of "and's" in one sentence. Sorry Barry.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 08-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Jim D

I think complaining about 4$ for shipping is being petty, but then again that is just me.... i wouldn't have responded back to you, but would have called you a cheap b**tard to myself....

so because you think the guy is charging you $1 too much, you make countless emails and write up postings, to essentially to see if guys agree with you about a buck??

seems all a little silly to me....

There is a guy on ebay that has a $92 shipping charge for one card to Canada! Baygraphs is his current ID if i remember, guy is an idiot as well. He changes ID's all the time because he always gets negatives as he wont ship the card unless to agree to "his" price which usually isnt the ebay price......

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Last edited by FUBAR; 08-03-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 AM
J@son M1ller

Default me too

I bought 3 cards about a week or so ago from him. I asked him before the auction ended if he would combine shipping. He said he would. Then the auction ended and for 3 cards, he sent a shipping invoice of $9.

Now, he lives on the outskirts of LA and I live in LA as well so I just emailed him and said that seemed a bit high to put 3 cards in the same package and mail it.

Here is what he said:

"what i quoted you was for priorityu mail with delivery confirmation and insurance. I am reluctant to send t2-6 any other way

what do you think?

let me know and we will fix this for sure!"

Anyway, I just paid the $9 so I could get the cards. The cards themselves were OK. I think you always take a gamble when dealing with small pictures and incomplete seller descriptions. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Two of the cards were about as expected. One a little worse.

I think I knew what I was getting just by looking at the pictures that he posts. You always hope they are a little better than expected but are rarely pleasantly surprised.

--I just got another card from a different seller which was put loose in a 8 1/2 x 11 bubble mailer which looked like it had been churned through a coffee grinder. It has about 4 more creases now than the picture that I bid on. And he charged $3.25. So, it's all relative.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Default ok

i've also bought from him with no problems. he does send the package insured. therefore, insurance is included with the $4.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Rich Klein

Default Frank

To your credit the letter was very courteous. However; if the auction in question, and please post the link, did say $4 postage then you technically made a contract to include that amount in your bid. Thus, your email could be considered an attempt to modify the contract and if so, the seller has the right to be upset with you.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 08-03-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: corrected verbiage as per Peter's follow up post
Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
To your credit the letter was very courteous. However; if the auction in question, and please post the link, did say $4 postage then you technically made a contract to include that amount in your bid. Thus, your email could be considered an attempt to break the contract and if so, the seller has the right to be upset with you.

Regards
Rich
Modify, Rich, not break. Frank paid. The overcharging seller has no right to be upset.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Mike Schulze

In the last few weeks I've been forced by my wife to clean out the attic and get rid of several items. Instead of throwing them out, I posted a few on Ebay. It didn't take long to see that if I charged a fair amount for shipping, plus Ebay's listing fees, plus Ebay's final value fees, plus Paypal's fees then it was just not worth the headache to package it and drive to the PO to mail it.

What I've done now is start every auction at $.01, but I've set the shipping charges to what I think the item is worth. For instance, I've got a few limited edition prints that were appraised at $1200. I've got the start price at $.01 but shipping set at $799.00. The $.01 start price qualifies for a free listing and if the item sells for $2.00, then my Ebay fees are kept to a minimum. I've had a few Ebayers question the shipping but when I explain, they understand.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Frank, I agree that the ebayers that nickel and dime are annoying...I guess my point is that there are just so many of them in the hobby. When you consider how many worse transgressors there are (see Top Secret Meeting at the National, Baltimore, MD Aug. 4, 2010) this one is just not worth the effort.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschulze View Post
In the last few weeks I've been forced by my wife to clean out the attic and get rid of several items. Instead of throwing them out, I posted a few on Ebay. It didn't take long to see that if I charged a fair amount for shipping, plus Ebay's listing fees, plus Ebay's final value fees, plus Paypal's fees then it was just not worth the headache to package it and drive to the PO to mail it.

What I've done now is start every auction at $.01, but I've set the shipping charges to what I think the item is worth. For instance, I've got a few limited edition prints that were appraised at $1200. I've got the start price at $.01 but shipping set at $799.00. The $.01 start price qualifies for a free listing and if the item sells for $2.00, then my Ebay fees are kept to a minimum. I've had a few Ebayers question the shipping but when I explain, they understand.
This is against ebay rules...it won't take long before someone will turn you over to ebay for excessive shipping charges. I don't know what ebay does about it though.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdschulze View Post

That seems a bit sleazy to me.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I'm pretty sure ebay considers it "theft of services."
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Paul

Default This thread...

...really confuses me.

Question for Sellers:
Do you guys honestly just eat ebay/paypal fees, post office/bubble envelope purchase travel and time costs, and charge only what the actual envelope costs with shipping charge? And if so, why would you do that?

Question for Buyers:
Do you guys honestly expect sellers to just eat the ebay/paypal fees, post office/bubble envelope purchase travel and time costs, and charge only what the actual envelope costs with shipping charge? And, if so, why do you think the buyer should not have to bear any of those additional costs?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 08-03-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'm pretty sure ebay considers it "theft of services."
I thought eBay had found away around that. I occasionally sell used video games on eBay and they have a $4.00 limit on shipping charges in that category.

Default +1

I completely agree with FUBAR that complaining about 4$ for shipping is being petty. Its not like he was charging you $20 to ship the card, it was $4.

You don't know why he was charging $4 anyway. I live out in the country and the closest post office to me is 11 miles away in one direction so thats a 22 mile round trip to ship a card. It roughly cost me $4 just in gas to ship a package (my truck gets 17 MPG). If you count the shipping cost, delivery confirmation and the cost of a bubble mailer and gas, it costs me between $7 or $8 to ship a package. I ususally charge $3.95 for shipping and eat the rest just to get a decent feedback.

What people don't realize is that not everybody is 2 minutes from a post office.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah that bubble wrap really adds up.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
...really confuses me.

Question for Sellers:
Do you guys honestly just eat ebay/paypal fees, post office/bubble envelope purchase travel and time costs, and charge only what the actual envelope costs with shipping charge? And if so, why would you do that?

Question for Buyers:
Do you guys honestly expect sellers to just eat the ebay/paypal fees, post office/bubble envelope purchase travel and time costs, and charge only what the actual envelope costs with shipping charge? And, if so, why do you think the buyer should not have to bear any of those additional costs?
As a seller I try to keep the cost as low as possible and not lose money on shipping...those stars are important because I earn 20% off my final ebay bill if I keep a good rating. As a buyer I always take into account the shipping charges when bidding...if they are unreasonable...and I always determine that when the item arrives as per my example above of $6 to ship an 8x10 photo...which would be okay if it had been protected, but it was just thrown into the envelope with no protection and the mailman bent it putting it into my mailbox which caused a crease.

As a side note it has been noted by a lot of sellers on ebay that if you don't charge anything for shipping you will take a hit on your stars.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBroll View Post
I live out in the country and the closest post office to me is 11 miles away in one direction so thats a 22 mile round trip to ship a card. It roughly cost me $4 just in gas to ship a package (my truck gets 17 MPG). If you count the shipping cost, delivery confirmation and the cost of a bubble mailer and gas, it costs me between $7 or $8 to ship a package. I ususally charge $3.95 for shipping and eat the rest just to get a decent feedback.

What people don't realize is that not everybody is 2 minutes from a post office.
In the time it takes you to mail your next package you could learn how to size and weigh your packages and calculate your own postage and put the stamps on. Heck, even delivery confirmation can be done at home. Round up to make sure and you still save a ton on gas.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Frank Wakefield

Well for folks that live 11 miles from a post office, there's a way they can save time and avoid paying for gas...

Someone can put that little red flag up on a mailbox and the carrier will stop. Leave him an envelope with money and he'll leave you an envelope with stamps next time by. Or you can order stamps through the USPS and they'll mail them to someone. Then, someone can put the flag up and they'll pick up the packages that are ready to mail. I think with Priority mail someone can schedule pickups. So a person doesn't have to drive 22 miles round trip while getting 17 MPG, they can choose to do that, or choose to use less gas, save time, and save postage costs.

As for bubble wrap costs, save the packaging when you receive stuff.... I use new envelopes, and use pieces or corners of bubble wrap envelopes that I've received in the mail. Saves money, gets a second use out of that environmentally unfriendly bubble wrap. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-03-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
George Leidemer

Default just use paypal shipping

and drop the package off at any mailbox. its very easy. You can print postage right on your printer

George
Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Default I wish it was that easy

I just dont sell cards, I actually sell more memorabilia than cards. Most of the stuff I sell wouldn't fit in my mailbox so I would not be able to leave that little red flag up for the postman. I just sold a Carstairs Ruth cardboard sign (12 x20) what do I do with that? Just leave it on the lawn? Or the 16 x 20 1900's team photo I sold 2 weeks ago? That's a little bit too big for the mailbox too. With the different weights and sizes, its easier to go to the post office unless there is an easier way?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Dave

I recently lost my 20% Ebay discount because of anonymous DSR shipping cost scores.

Everything I ship is with Delivery Confirmation in Reinforced Envelopes or Priority Boxes. I use Insurance when I think it's necessary on higher dollar items and cover any possible losses myself if I don't use Insurance.

My shipping charge is clearly stated in every auction and I give deep discounts to multiple auction winners. I would say I lose quite a bit more then I take in every month in Shipping & Handling charges. That's not even taking into consideration that Paypal also takes a little chunk of that shipping charge every time somebody pays you through them.

Doesn't really matter. With Ebay's ingenious system it only takes 1 person out of 100 to decide you purposely ripped them off by charging 50 cents too much for shipping a $10 item...............or somebody else getting pissed because you charged them $12 bucks to ship a group of items that ultimately cost you $20 bucks to ship because they have no idea how much Insurance costs or the fact it cost me twice as much to ship certain Priority packages to California as it does to ship it to the Northeast, since the USPS Zoning rates went into effect.

..........Or somebody leaves a low mark by mistake, or a competitor, or one of your more eccentric customers thinks it would be neat to mark you down here or there...........just because.

Unless you do huge volume it is nearly impossible to overcome a single low score under the present system...........and it's totally anonymous, so you don't even know who to block or avoid.

So forgive me if I'm not entirely sympathetic of post-auction shipping charge negotiations, or even suggestions of I ship this way or that way...........so YOU should also ship this way or that way.................or I don't mind taking a loss, so neither should you.

Also, most International packages, which I send plenty of, need to be dropped off and paid for in person at the Post Office. Also, anything Insured for over $500 also needs to be done at the P.O..

If you are concerned about the sellers shipping practices, a polite request to make sure the item is packed very securely should have done the trick. If he shipped with a 43 cent stamp and no protection to the card............then you can ding him. However to initially request a refund on an already established S&H charge if the stamp on the front didn't exactly match the S&H charge, would have probably annoyed me to no end...............and I am a very patient guy. I most definitely would have responded to your e-mail as politely as possible in return, and you would not have known I was annoyed.........but I most certainly would have been.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Paul

Quote:
Someone can put that little red flag up on a mailbox and the carrier will stop.
First of all, don't have those in my neighborhood. And even if I did, I would never leave anything of value in a curbside mailbox with a red flag up to alert passersby that something was in their waiting to be stolen.

But, putting aside the mileage costs, do you think the seller in your transaction should be solely responsible for the ebay and paypal fees? And, if so, why?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Mike Schulze

Quote:
Sleazy? Really? What's the difference of listing an item's start price at $799 and free shipping, versus listing the start price at $.01 and $799 for shipping? The buyer still pays $799 regardless of the scenario and is not injured at all. The seller saves several bucks and Ebay loses a few.

BTW, I don't regularly sell on Ebay but I did notice several categories where the shipping fees are capped (cd's, books, movies, etc). I've sold about a dozen or so miscellaneous items in categories that aren't capped.

If Ebay wishes to "punish" me for a rule infraction... so be it! Half the crap I'm selling/sold is under $50 and it's stuff that would have been thrown out or donated anyway. Ebay has access to my Paypal account so I guess if they really wanted to, they can go in and recover a few bucks or whatever they think I owe!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Clayton

I do think some shipping charges seem too high, but if it's clearly stated in the auction or BIN, and you choose to bid on the item or BIN, then there is no reason to be upset, IMO. You chose to participate and hoped to win, knowing what the seller was charging for shipping.

I'm not siding with what the seller charges for shipping, just the fact that you knew what he was charging and still chose to bid.

Clayton
Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
First of all, don't have those in my neighborhood. And even if I did, I would never leave anything of value in a curbside mailbox with a red flag up to alert passersby that something was in their waiting to be stolen.

But, putting aside the mileage costs, do you think the seller in your transaction should be solely responsible for the ebay and paypal fees? And, if so, why?
Good point on the red flag. I have pickups at my house occasionally but leave a note in the mailbox for my mail person to come to the front door to pick the boxes up.........and only when I am home already.

As a seller, I see Ebay and Paypal fees as a cost of doing business on my end. I DO get annoyed when I am told I also should be covering more of the general S&H charges myself or somebody e-mails me and tells me that they can ship so and so for a buck..........so I should be able to also.

Overall, my goal is to break even in that area each month........and I usually fail miserably at it.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Really? In a hobby in which virtually everyday someone lowers the standards just a tad more? I would reserve the word sleazy for other charming elements in the hobby.

eBay has turned their site upside down for sellers. Only place where the seller assumes the entire burden and cost of selling an item. The seller gets charged for selling the item and as well as charged for accepting payment. Shipping has to be kept extremely low, if not free, in order to avoid backlash from a buyer. Those costs cannot be recouped. On top of a typical buyer's premium of 17.5%, private auction houses charge outrageous amounts for shipping and virtually none of them have to accept a form of payment which costs them anything to process.