NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
John Michael

Default What's this SGC rumor????

Read in another thread of SGC rumors as to its future. Is its survival in question? I sure hope not.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Daryl

What thread?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
Read in another thread of SGC rumors as to its future. Is its survival in question? I sure hope not.
I would also like to know where you heard this
Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I saw one post like that on here... but SGC is only getting more popular
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
but SGC is only getting more popular
I wouldn't say all that. On most issues, SGC only gets a fraction of the value of their competitors cards. I ran several SGC auctions at $15 opening bids (their PSA counterparts routinely get $30-$50), and couldn't even get the opener.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Well SGC is realy good for pre-war, and a lot of people prefer the eye appeal of cards in SGC holders over PSA holders
Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Eye Appeal

If I'm holding on to my cards, I would prefer the SGC slab for the eye appeal. However, if I were to sell them, I'd prefer the eye appeal of the cash that PSA brings (even if it is sub-par compared to SGC)...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Pup6913

I have always been a huge supporter of SGC. This yrs national made me second guess that. Their customer service sucked, they misplaced my cards, I gave them a card to slab that was without a shadow of a doubt missing an ink pass and told me there was not enough evidence to slab it. It was missing all the bright A$$ red ink on the front. Can't all be happy I guess, but PSA is becoming more appealing
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM
pete ullman

+1...to what andrew said...at national...PSA setup was much more professional and well organized...as compared to SGC.

"I have always been a huge supporter of SGC. This yrs national made me second guess that. Their customer service sucked, they misplaced my cards, I gave them a card to slab that was without a shadow of a doubt missing an ink pass and told me there was not enough evidence to slab it. It was missing all the bright A$$ red ink on the front. Can't all be happy I guess, but PSA is becoming more appealing."
Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 AM

This is not sounding good at all.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Sgc

I strongly disagree with the statements both about the National setup and realized prices. I mostly collect Mantle, Rose and Aaron....Based on VCP averages for these three stars prices are within 1-2% of each TPG...Also SGC was very prompt and courteous to me at the National. Also they gave us a great deal on grading fees...Keep up the good work SGC.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my 2 cents

First of all SGC is an advertiser here so I want that to be taken into account. That being said, my service from SGC at the National was extraordinarily good. They did have their main customer service person leave the company unexpectedly the day before the show. That had to take some sort of toll. I thought the crew there did a great job, especially under the circumstances. And even with being a little short-handed my order was done on time, correctly and professionally. As a matter of fact I spoke with several of the SGC staff and they said that was their best National ever!! I think they did a great job. As far as not grading something the way someone wants them to, I am glad to hear that. More often than not I also don't get the grade or decision I hope for, but they always explain why. Brockelman & Luckey Auctions continues to make them our grader of choice....with BVG a close second, for me personally. As far as realized prices, I will always pay a little more for a higher end vintage card in one of their holders as opposed to PSA. Even though I think PSA does a good job, I trust SGC much more. I know I have spoken to hundreds of vintage collectors and most feel the same way I do...even though they might not publicly say anything. I do hope the new upper management will let the crew do what they know how to do best. As long as that happens, and the graders from before (except Derek) are still there, then I have a lot of confidence in them going forward. best regards
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As far as realized prices, I will always pay a little more for a higher end vintage card in one of their holders as opposed to PSA. Even though I think PSA does a good job, I trust SGC much more.
+1
Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think with prewar cards, there is little differential between realized prices between SGC and PSA although I would give a very slight edge to bigger, popular sets where the PSA Registry may have an effect. For higher grade, vintage cards, there is more of a difference. For example, in a recent Goodwin auction, a 1961 Wilt Chamberlain in SGC 9 recently sold for ~$5000 here: Link. In the Memory Lane auction that just closed, a PSA 9 Chamberlain fetched over $8000 here Link. From the SGC boards, the only recent change that I saw is that Michael Goldberg has left the company again due to what is believed an internal dispute: Link.

I also just want to say that I'm not an SGC hater at all. I use PSA, SGC, BVG, and even GAI (for wrappers). I just don't like the anti-PSA bias on the board, so I try to post a little bit on the other side to show that no TPG is perfect. There is no question PSA does some screwy things, which annoy the heck out of me, and SGC has to exist as a strong alternative to PSA, otherwise PSA will get worse. Right now, my current peeve with PSA is that you cannot get a somewhat fragile card slabbed by PSA. SGC is much, much better in this regard. PSA, if you are reading this, if the card is fragile, just allow it to be slabbed inside a thin sleeve like SGC does sometimes and BVG always does. My biggest peeve with PSA is of course, that they do not allow different card sizes / crossovers to be mixed into a single submission / shipment to saving on shipping fees. The excuse is that they get too many submissions where it's too complicated to do this, but this is either a money grab or pure laziness, I don't know which. Obviously, SGC and Beckett allow this.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

My problem with PSA is they just don't know how to grade. Take the card below for example. It has paper loss on the back of the card, but still received a 6. It shouldn't have graded any higher than a 2 - therefore overgraded by 4 grades.

You can say this is just one card, but I can post many more examples of cards grossly overgraded by PSA. I challenge anybody to show me an SGC card that is overgraded by 4 grades...heck, show me one overgraded by just 2 grades. How anybody could look at this card and still want to submit their cards to PSA is beyond me. Just keep drinking your Kool Aid!

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-24-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Barry Sloate

In tracking my sales over the years I never felt that any quality vintage cards in SGC holders performed any worse than those graded by PSA, and in fact whenever I achieved a really crazy price in one of my auctions, more often than not it was an SGC card.

It's too simplistic to say PSA cards sell for more than SGC's. In the set registry area they generally do. PSA has that market. They also seem to have the bigger share of the postwar market. But when you're talking about a scarce or rare vintage card in mid-grade, say Good to Excellent, the SGC cards are usually more accurately graded and hold their own comparatively well.

Both companies make grading mistakes but SGC makes fewer, and I think most collectors realize that. And that counts for something.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-24-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
In tracking my sales over the years I never felt that any quality vintage cards in SGC holders performed any worse than those graded by PSA, and in fact whenever I achieved a really crazy price in one of my auctions, more often than not it was an SGC card.

It's too simplistic to say PSA cards sell for more than SGC's. In the set registry area they generally do. PSA has that market. They also seem to have the bigger share of the postwar market. But when you're talking about a scarce or rare vintage card in mid-grade, say Good to Excellent, the SGC cards are usually more accurately graded and hold their own comparatively well.

Both companies make grading mistakes but SGC makes fewer, and I think most collectors realize that. And that counts for something.

Barry I agree with everything you say. But even if SGC makes fewer mistakes, is that because they are focused on vintage as opposed to focusing on a wide variety of items like PSA does? Again, no disrespect to SGC I love their holders a lot more. I just feel that PSA might make more mistakes because they either deal with a wider range of cards or just a higher volume in general.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

[QUOTE=glchen;919719
I also just want to say that I'm not an SGC hater at all. I use PSA, SGC, BVG, and even GAI (for wrappers). I just don't like the anti-PSA bias on the board, so I try to post a little bit on the other side to show that no TPG is perfect. [/QUOTE]

Hey Gary
I agree with this very much. I have my preferences but I don't like PSA always getting the short end of the stick on this board. They do a good job overall. Yes, when a mistake happens I will agree it's a mistake- see Fro-Joy thread. But PSA isn't nearly as bad as some make them out to be. I just happen to like SGC's, and Beckett's, grading better. One other thing....a few of the PSA haters only seem to come on this board to call them out...and otherwise don't share information. Some of those people do it out of greed and I guess to each their own. Sometimes I think they don't understand they are not only hurting the hobby by not divulging information, they are hurting themselves too. But then again ignorance can be bliss.

ps... I should mention I am not referring to David (vintagetoppsguy) in this post...

Last edited by Leon; 08-24-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Fred

In the past I always felt that SGC had fantastic customer service. I haven't sent a submission in since that cheesy autograph authenticator took over. I don't like the way he does business and unfortunately that influences me in how I feel about sending in any further submissions to SGC. I might look towards Beckett since I don't really care for PSA too much.

I always figured that prewar cards sold about the same in SGC or PSA holders. My observation is that the post war stuff that seems to do better (in sales) with PSA holders.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Barry Sloate

Pete- I can't say for sure why SGC makes fewer mistakes, but I've surmised that PSA simply has too many submissions and can't spend as much time with each card. If you have to work in an assembly line manner, you are going to make some mistakes.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM
FredYoung

I would also say some of the graders may be poorly trained & lack any experience and obviously many times do not follow the procedure of having cards double-cked before holdering.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:52 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Bottom line is this...

Here's the bottom line. I agree that both companies make mistakes. We all do - none of us are perfect. It's how we deal with those mistakes that matters (and says a lot about our character). From what I can tell, SGC owns up to their mistakes. They make a mistake, they admit it, they fix it and move on. That's the way it should be.

PSA on the other hand tries to cover up/hide their mistakes. They think they can sweep the problem under the rug by deleting a thread and it will go away - out of sight, out of mind, right?

Let me give you a great example of this. About 4 years ago there was a thread started on the PSA boards about a 1966 Topps Harmon Killebrew that was graded a PSA 10 being sold on eBay by a reputable dealer. Most agreed that the card looked like it probably shouldn't have graded over a 6/7. The case was not tampered with, so it was either a mechanical problem or a grading problem. It was quite a controversy on the boards. Anyway, rather than doing the right thing and making good on their buy-back guarantee, they removed the certification number from their data base. The seller was pretty pissed about it and rightfully so. I don't know if PSA ever compensated him for the card or not, but this is not how you handle problems.

I don't know about anybody else, but I've never had a problem just magically go away. Problems linger. The best way to deal with problems is to face them head on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting you made a mistake. In fact, it shows a lot of character when you own up to your mistakes. However, I have never seen PSA own up to anything. When’s the last time they admitted they were wrong about something? Instead, they just try to shut up those making the noise.

Say what you want about PSA, but if your honest with yourself, then you know in your mind I am right. Even Jeff said in the Joe Orlando thread, “I think I'd have some respect for Joe if he didn't do all that he could to shut down any sort of public criticism of PSA. That doesn't suggest to me that he cares about fixing his company's problems.”

Again, we're all going to make mistakes. It's how you handle those mistakes that set you apart from others.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
When’s the last time they admitted they were wrong about something?
David- I agree with almost everything you said pertaining to mistakes. God knows I make my share. That being said I do know that PSA bought back a fake Sporting News Ruth from Andy Baran, quite some time ago. Also, I would bet a friendly dollar that if someone brings that blue Fro-Joy to Joe O, he will make it right. best regards
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I use both and have been overall happy with them. If I had to choose one it would be SGC mainly based on accuracy and consistency of grading the cards I collect, exhibits. They both make mistakes but I have seen far more exhibit mistakes by PSA than SGC. I was involved with an ebay seller who was selling 8 high grade PSA exhibits a year ago that were all fake, I also own a fake PSA graded exhibit from 2 years ago that I just held onto because I only had $20 bucks into it. I have never seen one of these fakes graded by SGC and hope not to as its far to easy to tell them apart. I have also seen way too many times PSA messes up the years on exhibits, this has been to my benefit a number of times as I buy them then cross them over to the correct year, its usually 1923-24's listed as 1921's and 1926 listed as 1925, 1927, or 1928. In 7 years I have purchased over 10 of these and seen double that number mis graded by PSA, in the same time frame I might have seen only 3-4 from SGC, big difference.

I am concerned with all the recent turnover and lack of merger announcements over at SGC and really hope it improves in the near future, I do still believe they have the top graders and at the end of the day that is most important to me.

Last edited by smtjoy; 08-24-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 PM

I think BVG doesn't get the credit they deserve for accuracy in grading. I have always used SGC with prewar cards but lately have started leaning toward using BVG more. That said, I disagree with Barry and others with regard to the sale prices of comparable SGC and PSA cards. I hate to admit it but even with pre-war cards I think if you are selling, PSA is the way to go. I think PSA cards sell for more although I prefer SGC. I hate the "slip sliding" cards in PSA holders and love the black distinctive format of SGC cardsbut I just think PSA cards sell for more.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM

I also think, rightly or wrongly, that if you have pre-war cards with beautiful fronts and slight paper damage or writing on the back, and you plan on eventually selling them, PSA is the way to go. I have just about had my fill of those great looking pre-war cards, even with blank backs, which have very tiny paper or writing imperfections getting downgraded all the way to "10s" or "20s" by SGC. But at least I know going in that they are going to hammer them. It is not at all uncommon to take one of these "10s", crack it out, and resubmit to PSA and get a 7 MK.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM

I guess I've been lucky so far...My experiences with PSA and SGC have all been positive experiences counting some 200+ submissions ....the grading has been satisfactory to my eye....with SGC leaning slightly toward more stricter and consistent grading across the board. The customer service with each has been without any problems... PSA contacted me right away via email for a error I made on the form that I didn't catch....SGC mislabled one item and corrected it without hesitation...and in some cases they shipped items PRIOR to the actual turnaround date....

Ricky Y
Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
In the past I always felt that SGC had fantastic customer service. I haven't sent a submission in since that cheesy autograph authenticator took over. I don't like the way he does business and unfortunately that influences me in how I feel about sending in any further submissions to SGC.
This also has me worried although I don't lose any sleep over it .

My thoughts at the National was SGC was down a Customer Service rep as mentioned in this thread and they were struggling to keep order. Someone mentioned on another board that PSA was ultra busy and you could see tumbleweeds over at SGC at the National. To me, they were both busy but PSA is just so much larger in general that it gives that apperance but they were both busy related to the volume of business they do.

As for BVG, I don't know about pre-war. If I have to buy a card in thier holders, I cross it to SGC or crack it (which is not easy at all). So far the results have been okay as most crossed except a couple went down a grade. I just do not like the holders and BCCG (or whatever it is called) is a joke and yes, it is seperate grading from BVG but it is the same company and it puts a stink over the whole operation (IMHO).
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Paul

Default You say SGC? I say YES.

I will once again repeat my theory -- a lot of PSA graded pre-war cards you see for sale are for sale because SGC wouldn't cross them over.

My percentage of blind PSA purchases -- where I made a purchase decision based on a scan or a representation as to grade, but didn't hold the card in my hands -- where the card had an obvious defect upon receipt has gone way up over the last several years.

Put another way, I've seen tons of PSA 5 T206s that had wrinkles or creases, or were obviously trimmed. I've not seen an SGC 60 T206 with a wrinkle or a crease, or that was obviously trimmed.

Say what you want about JSA's ownership interest, the main graders are all still there. And they sometimes come out from behind the curtain to chat with customers about their grading practices. Very educational.

Finally, I had amazing service from SGC at this year's East Coast National. I got a ton of stuff done with their on-site grading service, and a strip card that couldn't be done on-site got done the next day and I received it in the mail today -- $13 total, including encapsulation and shipping!

Keep up the good work SGC.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Pete- I can't say for sure why SGC makes fewer mistakes, but I've surmised that PSA simply has too many submissions and can't spend as much time with each card. If you have to work in an assembly line manner, you are going to make some mistakes.
I very much agree with this post Barry. Here are my personal perceptions from dealing with graded cards for about 2 and a half years. I am curious to see what more experienced collectors think.

PSA- like the registry, and the .5 scale. I think that PSA's grading is very lenient on T206 Cobb cards. I haven't formed an opinion with SGC's grading of Cobb cards for now.

SGC- grading seems to be conservative which is a good thing... I think that SGC is too lenient with centering and should utilize a system similar to PSA on cards with marks, or paper loss... Unless I am missing things, SGC needs a data base registry for individual cards on their site ASAP! The lack of an easily accessible card registry by SGC really annoys me!!!!! Love SGC's holders!

Beckett- like the registry and the holder... The grading and their scale is way too inconsistent for me...

Regardless of grading company, I look at the card first and then the grade before making a purchasing decision.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM

I was glad to hear that Leon & Joe Orlando finally met at this years National.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Here's a nice 1969 Mickey Mantle PSA 6. How can anybody defend this?

From this auction. At least the seller's description is honest. Props to the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Topps-M...#ht_500wt_1180

Way to go PSA
Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
JeR@Me

Default Sgc / psa

I was at the National and used PSA and SGC multiple times for on site grading and both passed with flying colors. It did appear however that PSA had more support staff to service their customer's where as SGC seemed under staffed for influx in customer traffic, but when I was there my service was solid. (I observed a few customer's a little frustrated at having to wait...) God Bless you Earl!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Dennis Winters

Default Sgc

I was at the national and two great things happened: I made my first submission to SGC and I got to meet Leon.

While both were noteworthy events, I was extremely happy to get this back from them. It did take some convincing and some documentation, but SGC was top notch with excellent customer service.

SGC just makes all your stuff look so much better.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08-24-2011 08;11;21PM.jpg (45.4 KB, 448 views)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Chris Wassmuth

GREAT card, Dennis! Look at those corners, David. That got a 6 and those corners are WAY more rounded then the Mantle...

Yes, I am kidding.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Rob

I sent a sub to SGC just before the national and it didn't log in for a week. I called asking about it and was told all hands were on deck at the show and all would be taken care of. It was a 10 day turnaround sub that shipped in 9 days with the national confusion. Grades were absolutely on par with previous subs from the same set.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM

Default 1969 Mantle PSA 6

The 1969 Mantle PSA 6 pictured is mine. Like I state in my ebay description, I expected no higher than a 3 on the card. I had little into it, and only graded it to make an extra 25% or so. This card was in a lot of 85 cards that I graded, and the most came back where they should have. In this case, another card, a 1969 Ron Santo, should have been a 6, but was slabbed as a 3. The Mantle and Santo were 3 or 4 serial numbers apart, not right next to each other.....but I am guessing that somehow they got switched. They might as well take the Santo out of the database, because I cracked it on the day I received it back. The Mantle just makes me sick, though. You can see the corner wear in the picture, but there is also a very obvious crease on the back....and the back has seen better days. I am always hoping for better grades......but this one.....John
Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

^^^They might as well take the Santo out of the database, because I cracked it on the day I received it back.

you sent the flip back, right?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

So, what's the rumor?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejuanscards View Post
The 1969 Mantle PSA 6 pictured is mine. Like I state in my ebay description, I expected no higher than a 3 on the card. I had little into it, and only graded it to make an extra 25% or so. This card was in a lot of 85 cards that I graded, and the most came back where they should have. In this case, another card, a 1969 Ron Santo, should have been a 6, but was slabbed as a 3. The Mantle and Santo were 3 or 4 serial numbers apart, not right next to each other.....but I am guessing that somehow they got switched. They might as well take the Santo out of the database, because I cracked it on the day I received it back. The Mantle just makes me sick, though. You can see the corner wear in the picture, but there is also a very obvious crease on the back....and the back has seen better days. I am always hoping for better grades......but this one.....John
Very honest. The hobby needs more like you.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM

I submitted several cards at the National and received outstanding service and accurate grading.
JimB
Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I submitted several cards at the National and received outstanding service and accurate grading.
JimB
+1
Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Andy Davis

Here is my National grading experiences...First off i had a 33 George C Miller that was graded a psa 4(mk). Not wanting the qualifier I take the card to SGC and ask about a crossover. The guys that helps me at the SGC booth says he is one of the grader so I show him the card and he looks it over and says "that shouldn't be a problem" about getting a straight 4 grade so i pay the 20.00 bucks and come back 2 hours later to pick up my card and it is still in the psa holder with a sticker that says it didn't meet the min grade. I cracked out a psa 3 George C Miller and took it to psa and it got bumped to a psa 3.5. I took 3 1996 Ex-2000 Kobe Bryant rookies that were pulled by myself from boxes that same day to Beckett for their raw card review and when I picked them up I had an 8.5, 8, and one that said evidence of trimming....all of the companies make mistakes
Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvintage View Post
so I show him the card and he looks it over and says "that shouldn't be a problem" about getting a straight 4 grade so i pay the 20.00 bucks and come back 2 hours later to pick up my card and it is still in the psa holder with a sticker that says it didn't meet the min grade.
I like SGC, but if this happened to me, I would be VERY pissed. I'm happy SGC takes cross-overs seriously, but if a grader tells you "it shouldn't be a problem", you then pay him, and it instantly becomes a problem - well to me that's bad practice.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 AM
James Gallo

Default Wth

What is going on here!! Ever since Spence bought in at SGC that place has been a freaking mess. Michael is one of the best employees they have ever had and his customer service is a HUGE reason why I spend so much time and money with SGC. They can't manage to keep one guy happy. I was wondering why I didn't see him at the National and this explains why. IMO I will not be using SGC until this mess gets cleaned up one way or the other. This back and forth is just not acceptable.

I like the graders over there and all, but honestly who is running things from a service point of view. As far as I am concerned the front man, the customer service rep is the face of the company and they keep messing with it. I love SGC and really have always been a huge supporter but this is crap.

One simple question....
How do you ruin a great company in less then 1 year?

Answer-Get bought by JSA.

James Gallo
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Again, I want to point out that I'm not picking on SGC, and PSA has tons of examples of doing this. However, this Magie that sold on ebay recently, doesn't this look like it should have been graded Authentic because of the writing on the front of the card, which looks like there was an attempted erasure? The original owner of the card listed this on ebay BST on the board, so he may know better, of course.

The other thing is that, and this is not really an overgrade, but more of a difference in grading philosophy, but SGC is much more lenient on diamond cuts than PSA IMHO. The Gehrig that was slabbed by SGC as 3, probably would have received an Authentic from PSA. Again, I can point out these two cards from SGC, and be shown 20 cards from PSA that have similar, if not worse, issues than these. No question that PSA needs to tighten up their grading consistency better.

I also have to say the ex-SGC employees are superb. When looking at the SGC board, it's crazy how much work Brian is still doing there. He doesn't even work for SGC anymore, and he's still answering forum questions, updating the SGC registry. That's dedication. I also had the recent experience working with Derek Grady on a consignment for Heritage. He was extremely pleasant and made the entire process for my first consignment to Heritage very smooth. Those beaters in the November Signature auction are mine! I haven't had a chance to work much with the new crop of SGC reps, but I do have a growing pile of cards that I'm preparing to send that way, and they have big shoes to fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magie.jpg (66.4 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg gehrig.jpg (28.8 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by glchen; 08-25-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 AM

I like Scott the grader a lot. He is a super guy and fun as hell to hang out with. I like Michael as customer service and Brian was amazing. Derek was an asset as well.

I even liked the new guy they hired in place of Michael that is now gone already. I hear there is one particular guy that is making everyone else miserable. I would think a company would see this and rectify the one instead of the many.

I... better stop right here
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
The other thing is that, and this is not really an overgrade, but more of a difference in grading philosophy, but SGC is much more lenient on diamond cuts than PSA IMHO. The Gehrig that was slabbed by SGC as 3, probably would have received an Authentic from PSA.
Grading companies have the right to define their own grading standards. However, nowhere in SGC's or PSA's standards does it say that diamond cuts (or cards with erasure marks) receive an automatic "Authentic." I'm not sure where you came up with that.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Obviously I'm not a submitter of graded cards, but as a friendly competitor of SGC, and being set up next to them, I thought they seemed to be doing just fine. As always, I found the staff to be friendly and I always enjoy talking to Dave, Brian, etc. Competition is good, so I hope they had a very successful show.

Mark Anderson
Beckett Grading
Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Again, I want to point out that I'm not picking on SGC, and PSA has tons of examples of doing this. However, this Magie that sold on ebay recently, doesn't this look like it should have been graded Authentic because of the writing on the front of the card, which looks like there was an attempted erasure? The original owner of the card listed this on ebay BST on the board, so he may know better, of course.

The other thing is that, and this is not really an overgrade, but more of a difference in grading philosophy, but SGC is much more lenient on diamond cuts than PSA IMHO. The Gehrig that was slabbed by SGC as 3, probably would have received an Authentic from PSA. Again, I can point out these two cards from SGC, and be shown 20 cards from PSA that have similar, if not worse, issues than these. No question that PSA needs to tighten up their grading consistency better.

I also have to say the ex-SGC employees are superb. When looking at the SGC board, it's crazy how much work Brian is still doing there. He doesn't even work for SGC anymore, and he's still answering forum questions, updating the SGC registry. That's dedication. I also had the recent experience working with Derek Grady on a consignment for Heritage. He was extremely pleasant and made the entire process for my first consignment to Heritage very smooth. Those beaters in the November Signature auction are mine! I haven't had a chance to work much with the new crop of SGC reps, but I do have a growing pile of cards that I'm preparing to send that way, and they have big shoes to fill.
This is one of my complaints with SGC. IMHO, SGC needs to establish a qualifier with their grading system. A couple of years ago, I purchased a 1941 Playball card that had four obvious glue marks on the back from when it was placed in a scrapbook. The card looks great on the front but the seller did not disclose a picture of the back during the auction. I did not complain as I won the auction with a good price. But, I was disappointed with SGC.